“Nice B&B with Excellent Location”

Wordsworths Guest House
Ranked #44 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2011

On the spur of the moment we decided to add one further night stay on to our three night stay in the lakes on our day of departure. After spending few days in Windermere and Bowness we decided to move Ambleside for our last night. We had a drive round Ambleside and noticed that the Wordsworth had a sign for vacancies and there was gentleman outside putting up Christmas lights so we stopped. The owner invited my husband into the B&B and showed him both rooms they had left and told him the rate which was reasonable. We chose our room and then parked in the car park behind the B&B.
The room was large with a separate sitting area with a small sofa decorated in a nice clean modern style. The bathroom was very small but adequate. The B&B is well situated about a minute’s walk from the centre of Ambleside with all its attractions.
We were lucky as the Saturday we stayed was the night of Ambleside’s Christmas parade, which included a lovely lantana parade and firework display in a nearby field which we enjoyed. We also had a good meal in a Chinese called the Jade Garden. It’s quite a large and busy restaurant but we found the food to be good.
Breakfast the next morning was good, although it’s served quite early for our liking at a weekend as it finishes at 9am. The lady serving breakfast was very jolly and helpful and the cooked breakfast was nice with a small selection of cereals.
We enjoyed our stay at the Wordsworth and would go back as it’s a clean and comfortable B&B in a good location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 5, 2010

I write this review, I believe, in a fair minded way which genuinely reflects my experience of The Wordsworth B&B.
At the outset I must declare that the guest house was unattended, apart from a lady who came in daily to clean the rooms and cook breakfast as the owners were away on a weekend break (Oct 1st & 2nd)
PROS;
The Wordsworth is a nicely presented establishment situated only a few minutes’ walk from Ambleside center. We found it immaculately clean in all aspects and was surprised as to the size of the very spacious room. My son and I booked a twin and were allocated No. 3 which was at the front of the house. Even though the road was busy, we were never disturbed by traffic noise at any time.
As usual the first impression is all and we looked forward to a very pleasant (if rainy) weekend stay at The Wordsworth. However impressions can be deceptive.
CONS;
For me a good night’s sleep is a prerequisite for an enjoyable stay, however the beds were so hard that my first night was, if you’ll pardon the pun, a nightmare, When I told the owners representative, she kindly arranged for a spare quilt to be provided for me to sleep on to give extra padding. She stated that some people do find those beds a bit on the firm side.
I maintain that all beds should suit all the clients. Surely someone who likes a hard bed can sleep in a medium bed, but those (the majority) whose preference is anything but a hard bed will suffer.
In the morning I like to rise early and have a coffee but we found the room exceptionally cold. The heating was timed and came on at 7am and took a good 30 minutes to warm the room.
The shower room, which consists of a toilet and shower (the sink is in the bedroom), was absolutely freezing. It had no heating of any kind and was very unpleasant.
After a day on the fells we decided to head back at 3pm and chill out before our booked meal at the superb “Lucy on a Plate” Again the house and room was very cold. In fact the heating was timed to come at 4.30pm.
When in the lakes during a cold wet weekend, at least one would expect to come home to a warm and cosy B&B whatever the time of day. As there was no one in residence we could not complain.
Finally I must make comment about the breakfast. On the first day we ordered the full English, which when it arrived looked perfect, however the lady stated “careful of the plates they’re hot” she wasn’t wrong there! They were so hot they proceeded to cook the breakfast a second time and dried up the great looking contents.
The second day was worse. I asked for a well grilled tomato, which turned out to be a big mistake. When the food arrived the plate was thermo nuclear in temperature, the eggs were sizzling and spitting on the plate as was the bacon. Of course it was cooking for a second time before my eyes and was impossible to eat. As the bacon was inedible, I asked for a second rasher, it was at this time I was led to believe it was my fault as I asked for well grilled tomato!! It appears the tomato was grilled on my plate so presumably I should have known better!
I don’t know if the problems we encountered were due to the owners being away and it was just a blip, but it should make no difference as the price we paid (£180) for two nights is only £4 less than the excellent Riverside B&B which will be our first choice for future visits to Ambleside.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank Lancs4258
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Excellent B&B run by nice people doing their job really well. Keep up the good work and we are already working on our next Ambleside visit and look forward to returning to this charming guest house which ticked all the boxes. Well done and thanks.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We have stayed at the guesthouse several times in the past 3 years, and have always received the most top quality stay.
In July we brought my parents and friends to share our wedding, and Anna and Paul at the guesthouse made our wedding day so special.
They went out of their way to make everyone feel at home, and all the guests were impressed and will definitely be staying again next time they visit the lakes.
The rooms are top class, furnished to exceptionally high standards, and the breakfasts are again high quality and the smell of bacon in the mornings is a lovely start to the day!
Nothing is too much trouble, and there is such a friendly atmosphere, add to this the location, less than 5 minutes walk from the town centre and the beautiful gardens at the rear and you have all the ingredients for a top class stay.
We have already booked ahead for this year and even for 2011- this is a guesthouse not to be missed!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Very friendly and helpful hosts, our room was refurbished this year and was excellent all round.
The full english breakfast was made up of local produce and was cooked to perfection and unlike so many places i have been too, it was all served hot on a hot plate.
Five mins to the Lake or five mins to the town centre so ideal placement with little fuss or noise to bother a good nights sleep.
we never normally return to the same hotel but this is a likely exception.

10/10 is the only rating is deserves

thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Stayed 2 nights, in area to attend a wedding at Langdale Country Hotel. Guest house offers day passes to Langdale's Spa to residents who stay at least 2 nights, which we will definately take up the next time we stay. The house is beautiful, rooms very clean and comfortable and Anna makes you very welcome when you arrive. Close to the town centre with car parking at rear. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. Would be nice to stay longer!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2008

A great location for those exploring the lakes by bus! Clean, friendly and very accommodating. Wonderful breakfast

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ambleside
The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa
4 mi away
Sun Inn Hotel
Sun Inn Hotel
#9 of 23 in Hawkshead

Been to Wordsworths Guest House? Share your experiences!