We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Beautiful Lake District!!!”

Lake District National Park Guided Walks - Walks to Inspire
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Tour: Lake District Day Trip from Windermere
Ranked #46 of 390 things to do in Lake District
Certificate of Excellence
More attraction details
Attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Lake District National Park is a national treasure and World Heritage Site boasting England's largest lake, Windermere, and its highest peak, Scafell Pike. People come from all over the world to enjoy this beautiful landscape and soak up the special culture and we think one of the best ways to do this, is by going on a Lake District National Park guided walk. Whether you’re new to the Lake District or you’ve bagged every Wainwright, our guided walks have something for you. Join one of our local experts and you could enjoy summitting world famous peaks like Scafell Pike or Coniston Old Man. You could find yourself exploring ancient caves, paddling in the sea, staring up at wild waterfalls, exploring historical houses, gazing across vast valleys and of course looking onto our the beautiful lakes, that give this special place its name. We also run Navigation for Beginners (how to use maps and compasses) and guided bike rides. All of our guided walks, courses and rides are led by passionate, local volunteers who love nothing more than to show you around and share their love of the Lakes with you. Visit our website and find a walk, course or ride near you today. We want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the Lake District so we keep our prices low and many of our walks are free. Every penny of ticket prices goes back into the volunteer led guided walk programme and keeping this place special for generations to come. If you would like to help us do this you can book a walk but also donate on our website today.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 3, 2013

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been to..Had an amazing drive through the country side with full of snow covered mountains grasslands and frozen lakes..Really looking forward to visit in summer for a much more scenic drive...

1  Thank AmithSP
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a ReviewReviews (262)
Traveler rating
Traveler type
Time of year
  • More languages
All reviews
"national treasure"
in 4 reviews
"hiking trip"
in 3 reviews
"great outdoors"
in 4 reviews
"nice scenery"
in 3 reviews
"william wordsworth"
in 8 reviews
"beautiful place to visit"
in 4 reviews
"beautiful area"
in 4 reviews
"enjoy the scenery"
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews
"beatrix potter"
in 5 reviews
"national trust"
in 3 reviews
in 18 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 21 reviews
in 33 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 9 reviews

202 - 206 of 262 reviews

Reviewed February 1, 2013

So much beauty, variety close together. This is a place to walk and clear your thoughts, to rediscover yourself and lasting peace.

Thank AgedHermes
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Enjoying a wet week in the Lake District


I felt I needed a break from drudgery, and some fresh air, so where better than the Lakes, though the weather was far from predictable. Lakelovers had been the source of a cottage or two to several friends and so my first port of call was their brochure. I was not disappointed. I found an eminently suitable place for the two of us and our dog in a house which easily accommodated six, on the outskirts of the busy, picturesque village of Bowness, within a few minutes’ walk (albeit uphill) of the Bowness lake front. The house we chose included off street parking and a garage and decent central heating, which even in early September (our week started on September 8th) is worthwhile. The house was called Craglands – clean, tidy, comfortable and convenient, though my personal preference is always to have a bath, the shower was more than ample for our needs.
As we neared the Lakes, Blencathra was shrouded in cloud though Grizedale Pike and Cat Bells looked inviting. We went through the town and parked in Booth’s car park – for two hours, for £2 with £1 return if we spent a fiver, which we did. The day was warm and sunny. We wandered up the market taking in the sights and sounds of a warm summer’s day in early Autumn with shoals of people surrounding the many colourful stalls. There was a stall with tempting working wooden artefacts – engines, a piano player and so on from which I managed to emerge without spending anything, but only just.
We were soon back at Booth’s car park and set off to the Lodore hotel, which though encumbered by the usual wedding, did nothing to lessen the welcome I always feel is implicit in that hotel. In any case the attendees soon dissipated to their private function so we were left in relative peace and quiet, finding ’our’ table 2 in the corner with a clear view of Skiddaw in all its late summer glory in full view. Rona ordered welsh rarebit of sorts; I had the triple decker chicken and crispy smoked bacon sandwich. (£19.25, to include coke and J2O) The first came with chips which we shared, the second with those funny lattice crisps which seem unique to the Lodore. It was all easy and enjoyable. We wandered back to the car in good time for the drive to Bowness, via the simply beautiful valley of the Rothay I suppose, but in reality passing Rydal Water and Grasmere. We easily found the Lakelovers shop in Bowness – opposite the Cinema, and we popped in for the house keys. The journey to the house was short, but uphill, near to the Windermere Hydro, much frequented by Shearing’s. First impressions were good, with quiet parking off road.
We arrived mid-afternoon in beautiful sunshine and spent the first hour or two after unpacking in a stroll down to the front noting the position of interesting and quirky shops and restaurants for later visits.
The house was ok. A long lounge – dining room with a decent carpet, a good sized dining table, a round the corner settee big enough for six and a 26’’ TV beside the bay window. The view was not great but there is a lot of sky as it is elevated and the whole is comfortable. There was a small back yard with the boiler in the outhouse and a small front garden with a nice pink hydrangea. There was also a cellar where they have a snooker table. There were plenty of game and books, CDs and DVDs as well.
After a quiet relax we had a walk down hill through the busy town to the lake front (with hundreds of others), found a seat overlooking the lake and watched the swans, geese and ducks being fed endlessly. En route there were many beer gardens of sorts being fully utilised and we took to scrutinising menus for the many and various restaurants which appeared on every street corner each outdoing each other in the wares they offered. Many appealed to us – a three sausage ensemble looked enticing in one and I made a mental note for later. The walk back up was not as challenging as it appeared at first as we took our time, indeed we wandered past and up to the cinema, just because we had the time and the evening was lovely. I took a photo at the gate of the hydrangeas. The evening had cooled and with the fire defying being lit but with the central heating switched on, we were warm and comfortable after a good first day.

The weather seemed warm and there was a bit sun and since we were booked at the Rothay Manor for lunch at 12.30pm we built our day around the occasion. After locating the hotel just outside Ambleside, we retraced our steps to Waterhead where we parked in the car park of and paid £1.80 for one hour’s parking. We walked past the Watersedge hotel, where once I had a nice afternoon tea, and thence to the Park at the head of the lake. We walked across the meadow and through the gates with me gazing up at easily accessible Loughrigg from time to time with people already on the summit and wandering across the fields ahead of us. The fields were more muddy and much more overgrown than I remember and the once very pleasant walk was not as good, though still enjoyable. We retraced our steps and were stopped by a lady who wanted to show us Ambleside’s Roman fort which was surrounded by docile cows as well as a fence. We avoided accepting the invitation as lunch time pressed us.
Returning to the car it was a good time to set off to the Rothay Manor (RM) hotel where we found a shady spot for the car and Toby. The hotel was quiet and peaceful, with tasteful decorations and the flowers outside were worth a photo. We took our seats in one of two quietly decorated lounges and were soon attended by a waiter with a lovely selection for all three courses for lunch (the hotel has an AA rosette) which we chatted over while sipping lemonade and J2O. The tomato and basil soup (laced with RM in cream) was to my liking with a delicious warmed roll whilst Rona had a posh risotto, skipping the roll. She then ordered salmon whilst I had the beef, which was just to my liking. The roast potatoes were delicious and there were roasted parsnips, carrots and broccoli as well as the Yorkshire Pudding. The waiter was attentive but not intrusive; it made us feel looked after – a sign of a really good quality hotel. Pudding was a difficult choice. The sherry trifle was tempting – so much so that Rona had it whilst I had Mavla pudding – like sticky toffee, but more so. With toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream it was a delight. We adjourned to the lounge - same settee - for coffee and petit fours which were really a bit much for both of us – each of us only having one cup and a mint crispy thing skipping the other selection. It was good value at £22 for the four courses.
We wandered back to the car and decided on a walk round the grounds and spotted a deer, just yards away. Oh for my camera. We made back to the car and there it was again eating foliage. I made for the car quietly and slowly and got a picture of sorts as a reward before it disappeared, with no great haste. It was a rare treat being so close to a deer loitering in the hotel garden without apparent fear.
Though we were both a little full of good food, and both a little weary and both needing a rest of sorts, we were drawn by the lovely afternoon and parked in Ambleside for a shop wander, which we did with lessening enthusiasm, at least on my part. As an alternative we walked up to the Methodist church which I have passed and looked at a thousand times and never entered. There were no pews, which surprised me, just what looked like comfy rush seated chairs in a light wood which had been used throughout the church. In contrast the stained glass windows were beautiful and made more impact on me than the ones in the Abbey. There were little messages stuck up on pillars and columns all over the church asking what people wanted – the predominate themes seemed to be wanting people to get well and wishing for peace, though one wanted better school dinners. It was a peaceful diversion as once again the weather intervened. It drizzled all evening and so we decided on Sizergh Castle via Kendal tomorrow, in the expectation of yet more rain.


I expected Sizeugh Castle to open at 10am, but when we arrived, after a picturesque peaceful drive, we found it was 11am. As we had arrived at 9.53am, we back tracked to the Low Sizeugh Barn and therein took a farm walk, which was interrupted by light rain, but not before a wandering cart horse started following us. The fields were full of chickens among first sheep and then cows, much to my amusement. We retreated into the food – craft shop/café. We started upstairs where we had an indulgence in the café - tea for two and a large flapjack each, bendy and tasty as they all should be, and overlooking a deserted milking parlour with cows not due until 3.30pm - shame.
We then went into the basement where there were many craft-orientated items – shopping bags, rugs, lots of baskets and even a few proggy mats, all of which we resisted. Back upstairs on the ground I bought some three fruit marmalade (£2.85) and some coconut biscuits.
Back at the car it was fast approaching 11am, so we set off for the castle, parked close to the entrance and went inside to a special welcome from the staff when they found out we were also NT volunteers from our free entrance via the Volunteers cards we have – a worthy saving of £9 each. We bought a few bits at the shop, a jigsaw, a 2013 diary complete with pencil, a dolls’ house jigsaw for a friend and a fridge magnet. I tried one of their food samples – ginger biscuits – and bought some as a result. We popped all our purchases back in the car and then returned to the gardens for a wander passing a small unsuspecting baby rabbit en route who posed and whose photo was duly taken. We set off to view the pond/lake, but the rain started irritatingly and we went back to the relative cover of the rock garden of half a hectare which was full of colourful Acers and had running water through it – and soon even more as the rain increased in volume. As with many others we made back for an early lunch. Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich and some tomato and basil soup and then fruit crumble and custard, which was large and delicious and big enough to share. Earlier we had booked our time to visit the house, necessary as the rooms in places are small and the passageways not large – our time was 1pm, and it was timed to perfection – even though lunch queues had been large with the onset of the rain. The hallway was filled with an interesting assortment of spears and knobkerries and some armour. There was also an assortment of numbered wooden blocks on the floor, which had been badly disrupted with floods and was being re-laid. We climbed the stairs into a small hall where we met the first of several well informed room guides. We clambered about, upstairs and into rooms galore, with lovely furniture, interesting clocks scattered about, ornaments to die for and wood carved fireplaces everywhere, except in one bedroom where an 1805 picture of the house took pride of place on the over-mantle. The Strickland family had lived her for centuries, excepting for a trip to France when, in Jacobean times, England was Protestant. We both loved the house and the decoration and goods on display. We sat awhile in a sort of Great Hall with the original oak flooring on display and large old table and benches on view and chatted with the guide there – also a volunteer- who was very enthusiastic about volunteering and meeting us fellow volunteers. A huge English claymore on the wall took my attention. The final climb down the steep stone spiral staircase was a fitting end to the tour. Outside we wandered up to the Great Barn on a slippery path and besides being large it was empty save for the odd bits like a very long heavy wooden ladder mounted on the wall – they often display produce, such as their large varieties of apples there. We ended our trip with some tea and a dipped flapjack each back in the cafe.
It was an easy chill-out after a good day and with and evening walk promising, it had been a good day.


Though I had slept well, the morning started less than well. The rain which had been forecast was in evidence and the clouds which could at ones time hint of blue gaps and the again close suddenly with enveloping grey and accompanying spatter of yet more rain. I felt we would miss the Howtown opportunity. We tried the sandwich shop in Bowness – closed – so we tried Greggs in Ambleside and though open the sandwich choice was much restricted. We chose cheese savoury and ham salad
It was an interesting and challenging drive up the road now named ‘The Challenge’ which is Kirkstone Pass, presumably the new name to increase tourist appeal.
We reached Glenridding and parked by the side of the road over from the Inn on the Lake, one hour and no return within an hour, it said, not a lot for nothing these days as we found out moving the car into a car park nearby to leave it for longer – we needed more than 2 hours – the charge was an exorbitant £5, I could hardly believe it. The reason why we needed the time was prompted by a wander, in semi desperation, it could be said, into the Tourist Information office, nicely full of interesting objects-touristy, including seemingly dozens of fridge magnets, funny and pictorial – we later bought a Patterdale version. We purchased, for 60p, a route to Lanty’s Tarn, which appealed as a compromise on a less than promising day. The route was three miles and could take up to 2½ hours it said. We decided on some tea/coffee first at the Glenridding attached coffee shop, which was a mistake as the fruit scones were old and dry, indeed we did not finish them even with the benefit of jam.
We set off along the banks of the beck (in the direction of Lanty’s Tarn as well as Helvellyn) with me clutching the detailed instructions of the route, which proved remarkably accurate. We went up through woods, which with the occasional drizzle provided useful cover, but as we broke onto the open fell, the sun broke out as well and the view opened up across the valley and down to Ulster. The views were spectacular. Though the climb was steep we managed ok, though many stones of the made path proved slippery. We reached the top and moved to a slight diversion to Keldas, the actual fell summit – barely 500 feet above the lake, but offering glorious views. Once again rain descended but as earlier the rain only lasted a few minutes and the sun won through again. It was nicely timed. There was a nicely placed fallen tree trunk ideal for a picnic site, and so it was enacted, sitting on best carrier bags. We sat in glorious sunshine looking at a glorious view down Ullswater with two lonesome pines in front of us. We continued down, back to Lanty’s tarn which we had glimpsed before our peak diversion, thence along its banks to the end to find it was dammed – a surprise to us both - a likely relic of the lead mining which occurred on Helvellyn. The rain started again, though we were well attired so it mattered little. We wandered down the road back to Patterdale in good spirits with a truly gushing mountain torrent far below us on our right. We reached the car, with a walk taking a good 2½ hours and decided on another cup of tea, this time at the Greystones café. It was ok, we shared (I had 90%) a slice of lemon drizzle, but paying £6-7 every go is not value for money. We had a look at the haversacks in the very interesting nearby village shop and decided on a new larger one for me and of course bought another fridge magnet.
We drove home and rested awhile until it was time for our already booked evening meal.
We walked down to Jackson’s bistro and soon were sitting in the window sipping Schweppes lemonade and a Merlot. I ordered sirloin steak – plain, well done – and it was – spot on. My companion had lamb, which was gorgeous – I tasted it. There was a good timbale of vegetables each – small new potatoes, swede, carrots, mange toute and cauliflower – just what we both liked and cooked the way we liked them. We each had a rather nice apricot and apple crumble with a rather too small jug of custard, but we enjoyed it. The cost was about £41. Expensive, but nice. The walk back up was with an increasingly threatening sky and so the rain started shortly before the garden gate was reached. Tomorrow all depended on how we feel and how the weather turns out, but today after an inauspicious start was better than I could have expected. It’s been a good four days.


The rain today directed our attention away from Easedale Tarn, a favourite walk of mine from Grasmere, to a trip to Cartmel and Holker Hall. It proved a wise move.
We decided, with the rain encouraging us, to make Holker Hall our first stop as the tea room opened at 10.30am. After a longer drive than I expected, we parked the car close to the tea room and entered an almost deserted café. We had a fruit scone and a piece of shortbread with tea. It was really nice. We then bought our tickets for the house (2 for 1 offer helped reduce the cost to £7 – we did not visit the gardens). The entrance hall was amazing. It was large and had immediate impact. The rest of the house was the same, with a very interesting single pointer clock at the top of the stairs. Every room was nicely proportioned and the staircase was wonderful – a 360 degree venture with beautiful carvings. The two main rooms on the ground floor had large windows taking advantage of the views, but one, the second, had the largest and most lovely bay window I have ever seen. It was a room to die for. The furnishings and ornaments were easily viewed as there were no ropes or barriers of any kind to prevent close inspection. This increased my enjoyment of the Hall a lot. The Hall is a lived in house – The Cavendish family now own it – been passed down from the 1600s, though one wing was destroyed by fire in Victorian times and rebuilt. We were entranced with it all took full advantage of the ladies who attended each room to ask questions which occurred as we wandered through. The rooms we passed through each had their own appeal, with furniture complimenting the use of each. The Duke’s bedroom was an image of the large room with Bay window below and was an amazing bedroom. Outside the bedrooms, upstairs, was almost a mirror image of the entrance hall below with lovely large stained glass windows and a children’s sort-of double rocky chair for three and a lovely wooden horse on display. We left, determined to return to savour the details once again, plus those we had inevitably missed. We were impressed with the cleanliness and order about the place – all down to one lady apparently. We wandered back outside to be met with violent rain and the comment from the lady in the hall of the Hall who said a coach tour was due in 45 minutes, so we went in for lunch. We both fancied baked potatoes and we duly ordered a Tuna mayonnaise version and a cheese one. The Manchester tart, as yet untouched, appealed to me greatly – covered in coconut and with layers of cold custard and jam on a pastry base, it was simply ‘me’. It was lovely. On the way out, rain still about, we went into the rather nice food shop (though we bought nothing, though sorely tempted) and then the gift shop where we a lovely new cotton long sleeved nightie (at £28 it was good value), a packet of small travelling colouring pencils for me and a small fridge magnet.
Now the sun had arrived, it was time for a walk. We wandered down the park road with sheep everywhere and one or two stamping their feet in annoyance as Toby passed. We took a few photos, just in time, for a few hundred yards down the rain again threatened and dark clouds loomed – we made it back just in time as again the rain descended.
Earlier as we wandered through the café we had looked at the leaflets and we spotted one about a bookshop down the road – Daisy’s in Holker school house, as was. We found it only a few yards from Holker Hall and there was a large miscellany of books which busied us for a good 40 minutes. We ended up with several, including Stephen Fry’s ‘The Ode Less Travelled’. We left for Cartmel, still in sunshine and meandered around pleasant little country roads for a few miles. We parked on the Cartmel racecourse (£2 for two hours), which was quite breezy, and wandered back through the village purchasing the customary locally made sticky toffee pudding and a banana version also. We went to have a look into the Priory, which was very impressive, having a three story offset tower. The stain glass windows were beautiful and I loved the pews which were still fitted everywhere. Before we set off home we sat outside at the Kings Head in the square in the sunshine sipping a refreshing drink, it was a nice relax before the journey home.


After another decent night’s sleep, hope was high for a walk, should the weather be kind. But it was not. The early drizzle was maintained and so we reflected on our proposed Loughrigg trip and downgraded it in distance, time and severity to one which we had done twice before – round Grasmere – an easy walk of great interest and lovely views passing by several very interesting private houses and a good stretch of lakeside walking. We made a latish start as befits our approach to this week and a civilised approach was incorporated in that. So off we went to Grasmere and there we sought out Baldry’s, a café of our acquaintance several times before where they were especially dog friendly. It had not changed, indeed the dog friendly owner offered our dog three biscuits which he refrained from eating until we were seated. It was a cold day, temperature struggling to 11 degrees, and so our tea (loose of course) was most welcome. We each had a large, fresh, still warm sultana scone with. Liberally buttered we really enjoyed the scones. The little attached shop was disappointingly no longer there, but, maybe, like us, most looked and did not buy, so it was now a café extension. The weather however did not relent and though we spent an interesting 20 minutes looking at ‘antiques’ and bric-a-brac over the road (silver and books mainly), the stay did not result in any improvement in the weather. I suggested we returned home and have a walk into Bowness to look at a few shops in which we had shown interest. On the way back we stopped to look at an antiquarian book sale in the museum there, which was small but interesting and I bought two books – one on the Lakes and one on the ‘40s which looked and proved to be very interesting. It was the poorest day for weather.


It was a latish start today, but after a chat over breakfast we decided that Brantwood near Coniston, home of John Ruskin for the last 28 years of his life and of whom I knew nought, was a good destination.
The drive to Coniston seemed long (and to Brantwood, endless, though barely a couple of miles from Coniston) and the place seemed somewhat inhospitable when we arrived, with poor weather (again), drizzling endlessly and no decent tea room on show (our first stop normally – there was one tea room, but it did not appeal when we looked in). We did park (in a half hour only street-side zone – so no welcome there) and meandered to a craft fair which was full of interest but did not tempt purchases. Retracing our steps a little and missing the poorly signed Brantwood sign we eventually found the right road which was narrow and twisty and where at one point I was forced to reverse. Despite the awful weather with breaks across the valley promising much of The Old Man of Coniston and attendant Lake and waterfalls, little was really seen, though a break when we came out Brantwood some time later which afforded opportunity for a photo or two.
As we entered the estate, the Jumping Jenny restaurant named after Ruskin’s boat, appeared to my great relief as tea and sustenance was much overdue. We entered to a smell of log smoke which initially put me off, but the currant scones were a delight, smaller than yesterday’s at Baldry’s in Grasmere but more to my taste. I really enjoyed mine, taking smaller bites than usual to prolong the experience. We wandered up to the house, maybe 50 yards away, and entered the hall with a small debate over whether we could claim a tax thing (gift aid) or no and bought a small book to describe the house and contents which we find always increases our enjoyment immensely.
The rooms were homely and comfortable and I instantly felt a rapport with Ruskin and his life and ideas. After a couple of rooms downstairs there was the tinkle of a bell signifying the Ruskin ‘movie’ was over, so we, with several others, went back through to the front to be shown into a small room off the hall for the next showing of the Life and Times of John Ruskin, which was very interesting – he was quite a man but tried too hard, I felt. He was born in 1819, the same as Queen Victoria but died in January 1900. He was a great collector and maybe an obsessive idealist which took their toll of him in his last decade. He worked ceaselessly and needed three secretaries to help with correspondence. He drew and wrote and did so many things one wondered where he got the time. The house had many bits and pieces of his – he loved shells and pieces of rock in which he seemed to imagine all sorts of things and a few crystals like myself. I loved the pictures everywhere – quiet and warm, and his attempt at a unique piano/harp called Z… for children. The rooms seemed all to point in one direction – across the lake, and one could see why for the elevation of the house made for a wonderful view from every window.
We left the house after purchasing a welter of things including a book on Octavia Hill, for whom Ruskin had purchased three houses (for the poor), a colouring book and water colour pencils.
Outside the weather was slightly kinder and three photos resulted. It felt time for lunch though and being already impressed by the restaurant’s food we chanced it for lunch as well. We managed the last table, so we were lucky, ordering a pasta dish whilst I had the carrot and butternut squash soup, which was thick and hearty and with warm bread, again with not too much butter.
Upstairs, via the outside, we entered the gallery which was profuse with craft things, but nicely made, different and tempting. I bought a pack of cards with fossils on them (having previously bought a Ruskin fridge magnet with his favourite saying – there is no wealth but life embodied therein), maybe the pack of cards would be our last keepsake purchase. It was a good place for presents. We missed seeing the garden due to the weather, which was a shame; it must be good for in better times they have guided walks.
We were tired by now, but both having enjoyed the day, the education and the experience and the scones especially. Tomorrow we go back to Keswick whence it all started in pleasant sunshine a week ago. It has been a good week for all of us. The house was a good choice, though lacking a bath. Its L shaped settee was large and comfortable, it was warm and an easy walk into the town, with an area round the back to park the car.


Today we packed with a minimum of fuss and left the keys with LakeLovers at about 9.30 a.m. pointing out the fire was a problem and the bins needed emptying. After a beautiful journey through the sunny, green countryside we arrived at Rydal Hall Retreat, a favourite stop of ours. We went for a walk through the grounds which, despite the number of people who had obviously stayed overnight in tents or in the accommodation, were tranquil and serene. The sun was warm and the views truly glorious. We sat on the terrace and soaked up the sun and the calming sound of gushing water in the stream below. We indulged in fruit scones with raspberry and damson jam and tea. We both agreed that the raspberry was the best.
Prolonging the day mostly due to the continued sunshine, we made our way back to Derwentwater, parked at the Lodore hotel again and had a lovely stroll round the bottom end of the lake, catching a launch back to the Lodore stop after an hour and a half pleasant woodland stroll under Cat Bells.
A late lunch was next on the list. Naturally it had to be at the Lodore Hotel. We each had sandwiches looking up the Lake as ever – chicken and bacon triple decker and a beef pastrami on rye bread. We walked off some of this with a short walk up to the renowned waterfall behind the hotel and then began the drive home.


1  Thank Toby2006
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

if its a good night out in keswick,or the quiet of the fells the lake district has it all.keswick a bustling market town with a busy nightlife in great pubs and hotels serving excellent local beers.A short drive in any direction and you are in quiet country lanes travelling through some of the most beautiful countryside in the world.Park somewhere and walk the fells[making sure to have the proper equipment],walks are available for all standards of walker

Thank Malcolm B
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
See more reviews
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spend a day to see Windermere & have lunch overlooking Lake Windermere. Drive north through the Lake District & you'll think that you're driving through the Scottish Highlands (4-5 hour drive). Several high viewpoints to see the highlands, lakes, quaint villages and the sheep & cattle on the hills. There is a good English tutor style pub overlooking Ullswater Lake on the main highway.

Thank Wayne H
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed Lake District National Park Guided Walks - Walks to Inspire also viewed

Windermere, Lake District
Ambleside, Lake District
Windermere, Lake District
Ambleside, Lake District

Been to Lake District National Park Guided Walks - Walks to Inspire? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing