“can't complain at this price”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
London
“can't complain at this price”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

wanted to stay in somewhere interesting but was put off by the other reviews. This was basic but clean and comfortable and very accessible from the station. Felt safe for single woman traveler. Staff were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back and I am pleased you find the hotel to be safe for women lone travellers, I do hope we an welcome you back soon
Debbie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Clean, comfortable room. Great location, Very helpful staff. Car park is a reasonable price for city centre and very convenient. We did not miss the bacon as Im a "vegi" and my hubby was pre warned. We still had a very good breakfast with loads of choice. We would use again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feed back and we hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an extended weekend. The hotel was clean and tidy, the staff were extremely considerate and friendly, and made the hotel one I would definitely return to. It is situated the centre of Hull next to st Stephens shopping centre with the hotel car park being shared with the centre. The rooms were fine although did feel a little run down, but overall very good. Plus you get a free breakfast.

Stayed April 2014
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you feel let down by our rooms, I would like to assure you I will take these comments on board and do a full audit of rooms.

Thank you again for your time.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just spent five nights here. Room as expected, nice, clean, comfortable. Location is great. What stood out was the awesome service from the staff. I arrived overtired & grumpy, hungry & didn't want to go out. They arranged for me to have an indian takeaway in my room & directed me to a 24 hour tesco nearby to get nice wine (I'm v fussy about wine & didn't fancy the hotel's selection)

On request I was given fresh milk, plates to use, glasses, extra tbags, all with a friendly smile. The free wifi worked for the whole week (just need to tick a box to re register every 24 hours, no big deal)

Room was cleaned nicely for us every day. The cost was good value too. Highly recommend this place if you are staying in Hull.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay as well as your Indian food and wine, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Cambridge, UK
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Yes, prices in this place are not bad, but it is also a classic example of you 'get what you pay for'. I was booked in for two days, and chose this place over the Holiday Inn on Hull Marina, because it is convenient to the food court in the St Stephens Shopping Centre.

However:
1. Had problems with the free internet. The system only allowed me to connect for 24 hours, which when you are on a 48 hour business trip, and need to send business e-mails, is a bit of a problem.
2. The mattress really needs replacing. Thin, and very uncomfortable.
3. I had to ask for the room heating to be turned up, as this is another hotel with centrally controlled heating, which I maintain is done so that they can control costs.
4. The towels are near to threadbare and tiny. Barely qualifies as a bath towel size.
5. Cheap shower gel which barely cleans.
6. Duvet is a 'summer weight' thickness, which, when combined with the lower room temperature, does not make for a comfortable night's sleep.
Breakfast is OK, but I do wish they would stop claiming it is 'free'. It is NOT FREE, but included in the price. Big difference. Usual Holiday Inn Express fare, although this is one of the few places that don't put dried out croissants out.

I am spending the rest of this week at the Staybridge Suites in Newcastle upon Tyne, and that has really brought home to me the differences in quality and comfort. Definitely at case of 'getting what you pay for'.

Room Tip: If you need a warmer room, or prefer a thicker duvet, tell them on check-in, or face an uncomfortabl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear you didn't have a comfortable night due to the heat in the room, I can confirm this can be turned up to 30 degrees in the rooms and reception can also bypass this to 32 upon request, which I do hope we did if this was brought to our attention.
I will definitely mention the towel size to our linen company as we do offer bath towels as our standard size.

I am a little confused regarding the internet as we offer an open net work for as long as any guest stays in the hotel, all you need to do is accept our terms and conditions and this will allow any guest to use the internet throughout they duration free of charge.

I am also pleased to confirm that every Holiday Inn Express offers free breakfast and no money is taken from any room rates to compensate this, I am sure you will agree it is a great start to the day and is a great new standard along with the free internet.

I do hope we can welcome you back shortly
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed for one night. Great central location but with easy parking (discounted rate of £7 for 24 hours). Room clean and comfortable, quiet location at the back overlooking the upper floor of the car park). Staff pleasant and welcoming. Took advantage of the free breakfast which was very good. All in all, I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, i am delighted you found the hotel good value for money and hope to welcome you back soon.

oxford, england
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

The good things about this hotel are the location, the views from the higher floors and the functional, very clean rooms. It's a basically very good budget hotel.
Also I found the staff very pleasant and helpful.
But breakfast is grim. It's advertised as free but I'd rather pay and have something better. The cooked selection is bland over cooked scrambled egg and outstandingly poor sausages. The croissant was disgusting, uncooked bottom, cold - yuk! But well dealt with by the waiter. The coffee was ok though
Enjoy the stay but pay for a breakfast elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Debbie H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear about the staff and the waiter who dealt with your breakfast issue are polite, I can confirm that I am looking into the breakfast and have changed our ordering of items today, I have asked for some new samples of Sausages, Smaller Croissants, Scrambled Egg along other items, I have informed our supplier that these items are receiving various comments and I want this addressing,

I do hope to welcome you back soon and I would welcome more feedback
Kind Regards