“Two day stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right next to the shopping centre and only a short walk away to more shops. The rooms were spacious with hairdryer , tv , &kettle for drinks facilities. We were on the 7th floor and had a Decent view over hull, breakfast was buffet style and eat as much as you want. The staff were pleasant and helpful . You have to park in st stephens carpark for this hotel .I went past the hotel twice and in a bus lane ooops! But other than that I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad you had a good time while staying in the hotel, hope to welcome you back very soon

Regards

Debbie Hutchins

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed one night only thankfully, 22/04/13. Ordered Chicken Curry from restaurant which was sent back in favour of sausages and mash. Curry was tasteless and spiceless, more like creamy chicken soup with no salt. Sausages were cheap, freezer bag variety. Revolting!

Room was clean and serviceable but bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, pillows were thin and uncomfortable, even with three stacked. The irony was they were labelled 'firm' and 'soft' but as there was no filling in them, the labelling was immaterial.

Breakfast was a disaster. The restaurant was nearly full but there was only one member of staff on duty. There were no clear tables and so we cleared our own. I asked reception to get something done about it and he said he would have a word with the restaurant woman who was currently 'washing pots'. We waited and ten minutes later gave up. We sat at the dirty table, covered in dirty crocks, then went to get breakfast. Unfortunately, there was only sausages (the same cheap and nasty ones) and 'artificial' scrambled egg left. The orange juice was so watered down it was also tasteless.

I made further representation to reception who just gave me (in his word) 'reasons' (I said 'excuses') but made no effort to put things right. I told him I would be writing this review.

Upon check out, a woman finished by asking 'was everything alright for you?' I think she may have regretted it! Don't use this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feed back on this site, I firstly would like to apologise the lack of customer service you encountered, I have spoken to all staff members on shift during your stay and with the head chef who make all the restaurant food on site and would always add more curry or spices to any curries ordered.

We are always aiming to improve on service and customer care I personally find this unacceptable from my staff and will be taking these comments further.

Kind Regards

Debbie Hutchins

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very clean and good value. Convenient for the station, right next door and also very good shopping centre and restaurants right next to the hotel. Lacks character but staff were helpful and friendly. Ideal for business stopover. The price I was given did not include VAT so worth checking beforehand as it was more than I expected.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in March 2013.

Location in centre of Hull is great.

There's a large, public, multi-story car park with is connected to the hotel's reception.

The rooms was good, warm and clean.

My only real complaint was the food. I had a curry which really was the most bland meal I'd ever had in my life. I decided to go out to eat on the second night.

The breakfast was average but you could eat as much as you want.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

I'd go back again but would eat out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear GlennRobinson,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind remarks for the staff. I am also pleased that you liked our location and noticed the cleanliness of the room. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you are traveling in the UK for vacation, then this hotel may not be for you as it is a standard Holiday Inn Express without an 'English' atmosphere. But if you are looking for a nice, new hotel in a central location with ample parking and good internet, then I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express Hull City Center. The hotel is right next to Hull Railway Station and adjacent to a shopping mall that also has decent restaurants. Parking is in the mall parking garage from where you can walk straight into the hotel lobby. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are decent size and the bathroom also had a good layout. Internet was very fast. The breakfast buffet is basic but decent and what you can expect at a Holiday Inn Express. I would definitely stay there again on another business trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed for a weekend break while attending a sporting event at the Gemtec arena. Very handily situated with shopping centre, Tesco extra and restaurants right next door. If you are there for the weekend get the weekend parking pass which saves a couple of quid. Unfortunately the fire alarm went off at 05:10 on the Sunday morning due to a group of morons who came back "worse for wear" which resulted in us having to evacuate the hotel. Hotel staff were very apologetic next morning and it was reassuring to hear that the offenders were being charged with criminal damage and would have to pay for the hoax call out for the emergency services - JUSTICE. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before and will stay here again. The main reason is the price and location. The hotel is in the shopping centre and has ample parking. We paid £40 for bed and breakfast room to sleep 3 adults.

The rooms are tidy and clean, although they are a little on the small side if you have the sofa bed out as we did. I would say they could do with sourcing some nicer toilet paper.... it is so cheap it is like using sand paper. The heating is a little on the noisy side and did disturb the lighter sleepers.

I feel you very much get what you pay for with this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear K12ST,

We appreciate your feedback of our hotel. We are happy you found our hotel location and rates commendable. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are sorry for not being able to meet your expectations on this day particularly with the room accommodation and amenities. We take comments such as yours very seriously and please be assured that we will continue to work hard to improve.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N