“short stay shopper”

Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre
Reviewed December 21, 2012

this was a good budget hotel and was clean and well positioned for shopping in city centre.
breakfast was buffet style but was not very good,i found it a bit cold and limited.
staff were friendly and polite.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from late night revellers can get noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre

Reviewed December 13, 2012

hi we stayed in the holiday inn express .was a brilliant room .Staff where freindly and the breakfast which was free in the price was great .Rooms where spotless tv was great with Free wifi in the hotel

Room Tip: Room 113 was a good room with views over looking the city centre
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We spent last Saturday night in dinner, bed & breakfast with our group of 103 persons visiting the East Yorkshire region.
The hotel management and staff really looked after us and our group very well.
Reception was very helpful & rooms were nice and clean.
The served dinner was really something special, abundant and tasty even considering having so many persons to be served.
Buffet Breakfast was also very good and food very generous.
One of the 2 lifts was a bit "temperamental" at times (though considering that there were many of us trying to use it) but otherwise a perfect stay.
I can assure that after such experience we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed as part of a coach group at the weekend. It took a while to check in and really all we wanted to do was to go to the rooms for a hot drink and to use the Loo. The room and bathroom was very clean. A bulb in the toilet area had blown and one of the lamps was flickering. Didnt worry about it overly as we were only there one night and we let reception know on exit. If you like your hot drinks during the evening would advise you to carry some extra tea bags as you are only given two in your room. I did ask for some extra but as there was three of us it only gave us one drink each. My mum asked if she could swap some coffee for tea and was given two tea bags in exchange.
My aunt was put on a different floor and having a problem with her eyes meant everytime she wanted to come down to us I had to go and collect her and take her back would have been easier if she had been on the same floor as originally requested. (we were told that there was only twin rooms on our floor) I spoke to my aunt and she said the bed she had was extremly comfortable and she actually over slept in the morning and would probbly be still there if I had not rang her. Our beds were also very comfortable and we slept really well. There was a big party in and we thought they might be noisey but we were certainly not disturbed.
Breakfast was disapointing, I was looking forward to breakfast as I serve it to other people every day. The sausages were tasty but were cold, my aunt got scrambled egg that was also cold and tasted powdery. None of us eat beans. The fresh scrambled egg took 20 minutes to come out. I gave up on waiting for toast as I stood in a queue and never moved. There wasn't cornflakes left when we got there and we decided not to wait. There isn't enough tables and we sat in the conferance room to eat breakfast.
I will add the rooms are lovely and warm, we would have liked to open the window but it was locked.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mandjankers555
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Mandjankers555,

Thank you for your feed back with regards to your stay at the hotel, I am pleased you had a good night sleep and found the hotel clean, however I am very disappointed by the breakfast standard you received, I will be speaking to the breakfast team and raise your concerns with them.

I will also investigate if the information about your Aunt came into the hotel and why we didnt allocate rooms next to each other.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Debra Hutchins

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here for a week recently and found it to be absolutely fine. OK it wont win any awards, but you don't expect that with a Holiday Inn Express. It is located right beside the railway station, and is conveniently connected for all local amenities, and indeed road access. The place is clean, the staff are pleasant and the rooms are fine. My room was quite cold, and took a while to warm up. I'm not really into breakfast, but for those of you that are, you could be a little disappointed.

Other than that, fine.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob B
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Hi Bob B,

Thank you for your feed back, I am pleased to hear your comments regarding the pleasant staff and this will be fed back to the team, I was surprised you never came down for breakfast, as a Holiday Inn Express this is always complimentary and you can choose from a selection of Danish pastries, rolls, cheese, fruit and 3 hot items which are scrambled egg, sausages and beans, its a great way to start your day.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon

Debra Hutchins

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Could have/should have been so much better!
We were staying in Hull after watching a game of rugby union. When I booked I had asked for, via the hotels web site, a room in a quiet location and some extra pillows we didn't get either and what made thing much worse, we were next to a family with young children, nothing wrong with that, but do we go to sleep when they do? The noise levels were unbearable and we couldn't sleep, we had to ring down to reception to move rooms, the last thing you need when you're tired and cold. The room we eventually got was very quiet and we got our extra pillows why this didn't happen in the first place is very frustrating. The location of the hotel is perfect, right in the city centre and there is a huge car park adjoining the hotel, there is a bar and the room rate includes a very basic breakfast.
One tip!! be very careful when to pay your bill, we checked ours and found we had been overcharged for a drink we didn't have! somehow a Gin & Tonic had mysteriously appeared on our invoice.
I am a priority member with ICH group but am having second thoughts about my loyalty - shame really!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Swissball
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Swissball,

Thank you for your feed back on this web site and I would like to confirm our full conversation on the telephone which I made to you yesterday, I was glad to hear from you that my reception team did in fact dealt with the problem you encounter from noisy guests next door in a professional and swift manner as you had requested a quiet room and was unfortunately disturbed by other guests. I fully understood you to be happy with my response and the offer of Priority points which I awarded to your account as soon as I came off the telephone with you. You did confirm to me your bill was amended to the correct drink you had and I do hope we didn’t upset you in any way.

Hope to welcome you back to Hull soon.

Debbie Hutchins

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The hotel is central and easy to walk to from the railway station. Also close to nearby eating establishments. Room quite well appointed for this high end 'budget' hotel. Bed was ok. Not very comfy but that's mainly my requirements. Was cold in the room and took some time to warm up. Breakfast a big let down. Very limited hot choices. Just scrambled egg and no other egg options. Staff absent at breakfast to offer anything else. For the price it is good value.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian07
ManagerHUYUK, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hull City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dera Ian,

Thank you for your comments, I can confirm that as a Holiday Inn Express we are only allowed to do 3 hot items, and those items are Scrambled Egg, Sausage and Beans, this should be a standard across all Holiday Inn Express Hotels and can be very upsetting if other hotels within our chain are doing more than is Brand Standard. I do appreciate your feed back this helps me to improve the hotels performance and maintain brand standards.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Debbie Hutchins