“A great authentic lunch haunt with character”
Review of Sleepers

Sleepers
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

A great authentic lunch haunt with character. If you want to lunch somewhere offering great food, great prices, good old fashioned pub ambiance with a mix of original flavour then try here! Lunch menu available. Specials board menu options as well as main menu. Lime chilli chicken can be had in baguette, panini or jacket spud... Love it any style presented & go for the side order of fries as well, as they are amazing! Not the speediest at getting food orders over to you, but well worth the wait if they're busy! If on a short timeframe pre-order in advance. Well recommended.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Another restaurant on Newland Avenue! I can already hear people groaning, but Sleepers is by far one of the best I have ever visited in the area.

For a friend's birthday, we decided on a visit at 8.30pm, giving us enough time to catch-up beforehand and enough time to order food and enjoy it (or so we thought). Our night got off to a poor start, our table wasn't ready for 8.30 as booked and the place was absolutely packed, so much so we couldn't even get to the bar as we waited for our table to be appointed.

After finally sitting down at 8.40, we were told by a rather overbearing waitress to "hurry up" and place our orders as they stopped serving food at 9pm. We were not told this at the time of booking and if we had, it would've made us change the time we had booked it for.

We quickly chose our meals and ordered, again with the same waitress who rudely pushed my friend's hand away from the menu so that she could see what was being ordered - this was exceptionally rude and completely unacceptable.

The night was not going well - until the food arrived and all was redeemed. To start I opted for aromatic duck with pancakes, hoi sin sauce and the usual array of onions and cucumber. It was simply divine - the duck was cooked beautifully, it was tender and melt-in-the-mouth. The pancakes themselves were cold but this really didn't matter as the rest of the dish was beautiful.

Across the table, most of the other guests seemed to be enjoying their starters, which included baked camembert which I was told was exquisite and pan-fried halloumi cheese which was a mammoth portion!

For my main, I chose chicken zada, which, in English is basically chicken cooked with chilli, lime and ginger, served with chunky chips and salad. The portion size was gargantuan, and the chips were absolutely delicious. However, the chicken was surprisingly dry and the salad oddly soaking wet - it did have the taste of being dressed with oil, but this couldn't have made it as wet as it was. Overall, the main was good, but because I was rushed into making a decision by the waitress, I felt a little disappointed by it.

Other main courses included Greek meatballs which were succulent and tasty, stilton chicken which I was told was nice, pepper chicken which was met with a groan of joy, a chicken burger and chicken kebabs which were by far the biggest portion at the table that evening.

Overall, Sleepers is very good, the food is excellent and the chef should be commended for creating such a dynamic menu.

However, putting me off returning was the waitress who was either having an off day, or hadn't been trained in customer service very well. A shame, as every other member of staff that we dealt with that night - was lovely.

1  Thank Adam B
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited on a Friday night for a girls night out, there were five of us and we had booked in advance, we were seated by the door which was quite cold when it was opened but the atmosphere and decor were really pleasant. We shared starters which were very good and plentiful and our main courses were also very good, I had chicken kebabs served with rice and salad and it was really tasty and fresh. The place was full of a mixed age range of people and everyone seemed to be having a good night, the staff were excellent and we will definitely return here soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have visited here twice in the last two months, both times have been great. Food is lovely, staff very pleasant, would strongly recommend for a light lunch or an evening visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went in a large party to Sleepers this week, all of us ordered something different and all the food looked lovely and nobody had any complaints. I felt that the menu was a little bit overpriced, only by about 10% or so - but saying that, it was good. The staff could have been a little bit more on the ball, and friendly... when asked if we could order more drinks (considering we where spending about £30/£40 a round) we got told to go to the bar to order them... parts of sleepers are like a restaurant, then other traits are just like a bar. It needs to decide what it is, as Larkin across the road come up to your table to see if you want more drinks when you are eating and the eating/non-eating seems to be separated more than it is at Sleepers? Great food but the place is lacking something special...