“You will need to visit the chip shop later”

Thai House Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“You will need to visit the chip shop later”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

First impressions were good, it was fairly busy but we were served straight away and the menu looked appetising. We ordered the mixed vegetarian starter for 2 (my girlfriend is a vegetarian), for main course I ordered the chefs speciality chicken dish (cost £9.95) my girlfriend ordered stir fried Tofu ( described as fairly hot by the waiter). When we asked we were told we may want to order 1 portion of rice to share to go with our meals which we did (apparently 2 portions would be excessive). About 2 minues later (wow) our starter arrived which consisted of 2 battered green beans, 2 slices of mushroom, 2 onion rings, 2 brocolli, 2 slithers of carrot, 2 mini spring rolls and 2 postage stamps of tofu ( All for £9.95). It did however have some of the most beautiful carved vegetables I have ever seen on the serving dish. We were slightly disappointed but we thought at least we will be able to eat all of our main courses. 1 minute later our main course arrived when I saw this I wanted to leave, the chefs speciality chicken was a piece approx 3 inches by 2 inches sliced into about 5 slices, there were also about 10 slithers of peppers and onion. My girlfriend got slightly more in her tofu dish but described the hot dish as a zero rating not 6 out of 10 as told when ordering. The dish of egg fried rice was about third of the size of what you would get in a chinese restaurant.
I was starving and even my girlfriend said she could have eaten more, and I just have to mention we are both very slim and have smallish appetites just before you label us as greedy lardarses.
I was not going to be ripped off any more and asked for the bill which was £35 and we only had 1 drink each too.
Luckily Thai House is right next to Taman Ria Tropicano which we have visited before and have been unable to finish just a main course. There was a special offer on and we had 3 small dishes of curry, a large bowl of rice and a side salad each for just £10. We were also offered a dessert for no extra charge but as you can imagine we couldn't manage that.
So the moral of the story is don't waste your money, the portions are too small and the food isn't that good either.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Shaun S

Hull
“After the Rugby”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have used the Thai House on a couple of occasions after matches at the KC stadium and each time it is fine. the service is ok, value is not too bad but the food does not really stand out otherwise it would get 4 stars.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Second bar none!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have used this restaurant many times, including for business meetings. The Thai food served here will not be bettered within 100 mile radius. Service is excellent and the menu is just mouth-watering. Girls serving are often in Thai costume and this ads to the ambiance. The owner knows her job and takes great pride in the restaurant. Thank you Wan for some memorable meals.

Visited November 2011
yorkshire, england
“poor food”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

3 of us had 3 different mains, all different colours but tasted the same. Didn't taste like freshly cooked food. Dire! Should have walked out without paying.

3 Thank chilos
Anlaby, East Riding Of Yorkshire
“Brilliant Atmosphere, brilliant food and well priced.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Everything about this restaurant is perfected, the aesthetics of the restaurant is well designed, the menu choice is varied and the food is of an excellent standard. The staff are always friendly and polite, and always at your table as soon as you need them. Would go back any time.