“Average at best”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Average at best”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

While the food wasn't poor quality as such, the service lacked any personal touch, I found the waiter to be blunt and unhelpful. The selection is limited with very overpriced food for such an average quality. Not the best place to eat.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Poorly run with extremely rude staff”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I like pizza express but only visit when I have a deal or tesco clubcard vouchers as I prefer to visit independently owned restaurants when paying full price. The only reason places like these run deals is because they are in competition with all the large chain-owned companies. Having said this, you do expect a certain standard of food, cleanliness and service that is the same, whichever pizza express you visit anywhere in the country.
This is by far the worst I have visited.
It was so over-crowded people were getting turned away at the doors - I heard several guests complain about food and service and at least one table left without paying despite the young manager's desperation to get them to cough up. He went on to swear about said visitors to several of the waiters after they had left. We overheard a lot of these unprofessional remarks throughout our meal.
The first meal came out wrong. It was sent back and replaced but looked like exactly the same pizza with extra toppings haphazardly thrown on. I didn't complain but waited patiently for my partner to get her meal. A good 5 minutes went by before anyone realised she had not received her pasta. We were then told that the pasta had run out and she would have to order something else. Meanwhile I had started my pizza but it was freezing cold. I asked for a fresh one and was told I would have to pay extra as I had already started to eat the one in front of me!
After eating my cold pizza and attempting some of my partners food (which she had left most of as it was burnt to a crisp) we decided to get the bill and leave without the stress of dessert. By this point I just wanted to leave as we had sat for so long waiting for our plates to be cleared and the bill to arrive that we ended up going to the till to get it. There were plates stacked up on the counters and food on the floor around this area. A rude girl with big blonde hair who stunk of cigarette smoke said she couldn't read the last letter of my discount code and that it would take too long to enter it with every possible letter of the alphabet on the end. Instead I paid full price and left just to get out quickly. I wish I hadn't left a tip for the poor younger girl who brought our drinks, as the rude one quickly processed my card and swept in to the table to pocket the money we had left without saying a thank you or goodbye.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Ben B
Loughton, United Kingdom
“An excellent place to eat”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Great views over the Quay, and an exciting location, this restaurant offers consistently good food at reasonable but not bargain prices. Very friendly team and clean. I had a legera pizza and delicious polenta chips.

• Visited June 2014
“Yummy as always”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great food, excellent service. like the new meun except for the dolcetti's now being seperate small dessert and coffees. Disappointed because of course this means I can't use my Tesco vouchers for a Dolcetti and the price of the two together is more expensive.

• Visited May 2014
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Keep coming back for more”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This restaurant always turns out good quality dishes albeit a bit overpriced. Definitely good value if you have a voucher. Whenever we are there it seems to be quite empty but to us it only means peace and quiet which enhances the whole meal experience. The only downside would be the chill, which many times made us keep our coats on. Drinks are expensive and staff although mainly friendly and attentive do have lapses when you seem to wait a long time for attention.

• Visited February 2014