“Afternoon Tea”

The Garden Mews Hotel
The Garden Mews Hotel
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had afternoon tea in the garden Tea Room the food was excellent. The cakes were very good with unusual flavours. the little sandwich cakes flavoured with Lavender were lovely, Mini banoffee pies were superb and the scones with the addition of Orange zest were super. I had to wrap some bits up to bring home as there was more than enought to eat. the young lady who appeared to be serving on her own was very pleasant. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DMW50HULL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
hull
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Went for afternoon tea here today. We were greeted with a very warm & friendly hello. Great choice of sandwich fillings, plenty of tea & amazing cakes. The Victoria Sponge & Scone were the best, so much choice though. Also asked regarding booking a Christening & Heather was so very helpful. Lovely food & team

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mrsribs
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a room here on a Saturday night from bookings.com. However when we got to the hotel there were no rooms (fault on bookings not hotel). The young lady who was put in charge for the evening was so helpful, apologizing for the mistake and called other hotels for us finding the best deal. She was great and our new hotel was a perfect fit. Amazing service and we would stay at this hotel if we could get a room! Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
garenmews, Owner at The Garden Mews Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel . We would like to apologise for the mix up with the booking. It was by all accounts an unusual night , up until 5.30 pm that day we had only one room booked out .... by 7.30 all rooms had been reserved .... my daughter had been left to look after the hotel for a few hours ( thinking we had a quiet night ) . Thankfully she was able to sort the problem out. We hope on your next visit we have available rooms and you are able to stay with us , and once again we apologise for any inconvenience.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am working in Hull for a few weeks, and to be honest I wasn't looking forward to it. I have stayed in Hull before and the quality of affordable rooms is not good. However, a colleague reccomended this place and I am over the moon. Very clean, friendly, and welcoming. The room was spot on, with wi-fi and a tele. The eve. meals substantial. I have booked to stay here for as long as I am here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank victor g
Reviewed March 3, 2013

What a fantastic find! Went the other weekend for afternoon tea with my mother. I hadn't realised that you needed to make an appointment so just showed up on the door and they couldn't have been more welcoming. Fast service, fresh food and beautiful cakes!! Amazing value for money and the lady serving was friendly and couldn't have done any more for us! Even though we just dropped on them with no warning, they had a great selection of cakes and the macaroons were to die for!! Loved it!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
garenmews, Manager at The Garden Mews Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit , we're really pleased you enjoyed it and hope to see you again .
Reviewed December 13, 2012

To be honest, I may be being a bit harsh as considering it's price and wonderfully central location this is a very agreeable little place and I really hope that this won't put anybody off. It is probably a lot better than you will be expecting and they do try very hard, are friendly and welcoming and the place is clean. For a bed and breakfast you could do a lot worse in Hull and I would actually prefer this place to a faceless hotel chain any day. Perhaps if I hadn't have been so tired I would have asked them for help with a few of the minor issues or perhaps been a bit more forgiving.
We arrived quite late and were welcomed in in a friendly but rather rushed fashion but we were tired so didn't mind too much.
The hallway is a tad dated and the imminent, looming, winding, steep stairs are a bit daunting when carryng suitcases.
We had a double room with a shared bathroom, booked as such so no surprises there. The room was beautifully and tastefully decorated, lovely pictures on the wall and matching bed covers. There was a tea and coffee facility and a very useful sink in the room and the television was a small flat screen deal with HD ports etc.
However the first thing we noticed on entering the room was the HEAT. My goodness was it warm, stifling in fact and there was no way to turn down the radiators or open the windows, it was almost unbearable.
Once we had disrobed we could just about live with it, the bed was comfortable, if a touch too soft for my liking but I'm sure that it would appeal to others and I have slept in much, much worse.
The shower in the shared bathroom was a little temperamental but sufficient, the rest a bit dated but, again, functional.
The breakfast room has to be seen to be believed. Astounding. Laura Ashley meets an hyperactive Christmas Fairy! Pink and tinsel and snowy hedgehogs and baubles and sparkles and snowmen and bows and ribbons alive, alive-o. Again, I am sure that some people will love it but it was much too much for me and I had difficulty not giggling or asking for some sunglasses whilst we ate our breakfast.
The breakfast itself was quite nice, full English, again perfectly sufficient rather than spectacular, and served with a smile.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the noise of the pub directly across the road so perhaps should be avoided o...