“Nice Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Royal Hotel Hull
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Nice Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here overnight with National Holidays. This was a family outing. Like a lot of hotels you can pick out the faults but these do not distract from the quality of this hotel. While the rear entrance leads out onto the rail/bus station this was not a problem at all. Bedroom was very nice with a trouser press in the wardrobe & a hairdryer on hand if required. Bed was also comfortable. However, on a personal note the dinner menu I felt was poor & not a lot of choice. On saying that the menu can be tweaked to hopefully suit. Other family members did enjoy the meal including one member who was a vegetarian. Breakfast for me was not too good either. Still none of this has put me off returning to this hotel again & I would recommend it. Being in the city centre it is close to plenty of shops,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overal stay with us. I have taken note of the comments made in regards to dinner and breakfast. I have addressed this with the teams involved. Thank you for brining this to my attention and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

There are so many true words said about this hotel. Let’s start with the positives!

Very good location, wonderful lobby (one of the very nicest I have seen in a hotel of this type). I had a very large room which was clean and very quiet!

Now for (I will not say negatives) but things that could have been better (certainly if I was running the place!!). Yes, I don’t have any experience of running hotels but I do know where improvements (without a lot of extra costs can be made)!

I arrived by train and there is an entrance off the station concourse straight into their lovely lobby area (it really is a feature!!).

The reception was at the front of the hotel and therefore made my way there. I waited, coughed, tried to catch the receptionist eye, but though I could hear them talking they were obviously engrossed in themselves rather than me!! Probably the longest wait at any reception desk prior to being seen/dealt with in 45 years!! I refuse to shout to be dealt with, anyway one of them did surface (no apology or any urgency); as the management do seem to read this both were blond ladies. Maybe the barrier that is between the reception and where they work could do with being removed!

I was intending to eat at the hotel that evening, but was told because of a coach party I could not eat for another hour. Management need to decide where priorities lie (probably making their money from a coach party is a priority and I would not argue with that) but what about the other guests? I ventured out and spent my £30 elsewhere!

I have no major complaints with the room, very large (probably the largest on the floor when looking at the floor plans). However, it was rather soulless – a number of appropriate pictures would take that away. Typical difficult to close curtains that given a true yank to move them would probably come tumbling down.

A really nice sleep, comfortable bed, right temperature room (I am indeed fussy over sleeping temperatures).

Now for breakfast. I again waited to be seated, even made eye contact with the girl serving, but was left there. I just walked in and served myself at the buffet. I like sausages and as we know they come in many different varieties and cater to different budgets which I have always taken on board. This was the very first time that I just could not eat the sausage that was on offer that morning. If management suggest that this was a quality local sausage then PLEASE find another supplier or have a sausage competition or something – inedible by a long way - a very long way. Never managed to get my black tea. Once I had seated myself down I did manage to call the waitress across, volunteering my room number and that I would like a cup of tea. Tea arrived, as I take it black I need that extra few minutes for it to cool down. Having then went off to get some toast I came back to find my tea had been cleared away. I then managed to attract her attention to say that she had cleared away my tea and could I have another one. She apologised and poured me another one. Low and behold when I went to drink it turned out to be coffee. I had lost the will by then – all done in best intentions but lack of enthusiasm or urgency or even pride was there to be seen!

Could not confirm check out bill status as the computer was down.

Obviously I have no idea of occupancy rates for this hotel; however I think that this (out of 100s) that I have stayed in over the years has so much potential with what seems (to me) little outlay.

If I come to Hull again I will stay here again, mainly as I think it deserves another chance to shine (or at least the staff!).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you appriciate the lobby and the station entrance. I haev taken careful note in regards to your further feedback. The reception manager has been spoken to as the management instruction is that a reception team member must be visible at the front desk at all times. The fact that you were kept waiting is unaccpetable. On the day of your arrival the hotel experienced IT issues, however, that should not have destracted my team members to welcome you appropriately. In regards to the restaurant, as coach parties take up the majority of our capacity in the kitchen and restaurant, we prefer for guests to book a table. The hotel restaurant is operated like any other restaurant and we can only serve an certain amount of guests at the time. I apologise if the time suggested was unsuitable for you. We aim to deliver the best quality of service and food when dining with us and I hope I am able to serve you on a future visit. I have spoken to the breakfast team, although, your experience is not typical to the hotel. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future, and if so, please contact me directly in order for me to personally look after your arrangements.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner booked this hotel for my 30th birthday treat and we were treated to the max from the moment we arrived. My partner called ahead to ask for a bottle of Prosecco on ice to be put into the room but as the hotel had run out of Prosecco, we were given a bottle of Champagne for the same price. We were even given a free upgrade to our room as it was my birthday.

We ate our evening meal at the restaurant, Violetta was our waitress and she was absolutely delightful with impeccable manners, a true credit to the Royal Hotel. Myself and my partner had the fish goujons to start, which were a little on the crunchy side, but the main was belly pork and Oh my god..it was melt in your mouth delicious! We both refused dessert as we were stuffed but as an extra surprise Violetta arranged for a dish of ice-cream be sent to our table with Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce on the saucer!

Later in the evening we made the acquaintance of Steve on the bar, who greeted us warmly and professionally despite it being late and having to open up the bar for us again!

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful, buffet style full-English. Again, service was excellent.

Really cannot find any fault with this hotel. If I ever come back to Hull ill definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: If it is a birthday, anniversary etc, let them know!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed over your comments to the restaurant team and the night porter. It is always nice to hear that we have delivered to our guests expectations. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Pickering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for two night on a superbreak holiday, requested a quiet room on a high floor got a 1st floor room at the front of the hotel where the main road is.It was very noisey with doors banging all the time.The room smelt bad (drains) was also very small, think it was a single room with a double bed in as there was only a six inches space at one side of the bed.The hot water tap on the wash basin didn't work and the shower oused water out of the top, was very difficult to turn on so you got wet before you stepped in. The kettle was far too large to fill in the small basin and the room was not very clean toe nail clippings!On the plus side the breakfast was nice as was the dinner but there was a coach party on the second night which we were not told about so had to wait a while for dinner as the restaurant was full.

Room Tip: we had room 133 very noisey
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a review. As a hotel we try to accommodate each request made by our guests, ufortunately, this is not always possible. I will look into the smell of the drains and I have taken your other comments on board and they will be investigated further. I hope that you will be returning to the hotel on a future visit to Hull.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Booked a room for £100 and after looking in on said "room" that was smaller than the box room in my house, colder than my garage and decorated in the same style as my great aunts dinning room we cut our losses and booked an alternate.
Take my advice, book somewhere else.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am dissapointed to read your feedback. In order for me to understand the whole issue, would you please be so kind to contact me direclty in order for me to further investigate the problems you experienced. You can contact me on gm@hotels-hull.co.uk
I look forward to hear from you.
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

As you step out of the train at Paragon Station you are greeted by the statue of Philip Larkin and the entrance to the hotel - a great start. The lobby is promising; couples taking early evening drinks and families enjoying afternoon tea. However, problems appear almost immediately at reception where there are issues with the booking and only one key available per room (what?!) Once inside the room more problems arise. The bathroom door knob is not complete and doesn't actually allow you to close the door, never mind lock it. The shower has a mind of it's own. Be careful not to get it too hot or you won't be able to shut it down until you've run lots of cold water through it. The hairdryer has one of those switches that you have to hold down to keep on (yes, really). Oh, and the phone doesn't work because the newly installed headboard means that the phone socket is now too far away.
This should be Hull's flagship hotel and if the city is to win it's Capital of Culture bid it really needs to sort out it's tourist infrastructure too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. May I firstly apologise for the fact that I totally missed to respond to your review at time of posting. I appriciate you frank feedback as this will enable me to improve our quality and service. In January 2014, a new door lock system will be installed. I have addressed the maintenance issues with our maintenance team as these should not have happened. I do hope that I can welcome you again in the near future.
Luc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#1 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to The Royal Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!