“Not worth the money unless you get a deal!”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked a package deal for Valentines Day for myself and my boyfriend and were promised a room upgrade, champagne and chocolates in the room, with dinner and breakfast included, and a late check-out. In terms of the food, it was lovely, dinner and breakfast were great. The room however wasn't upgraded which was disappointing. In the morning as we were enjoying our room service breakfast in bed the cleaner came to clean our room, and rudely told us that we were supposed to have checked out by this time. We told her that we had a late check-out arranged and no apology was made, which is ultimately why i've only rated 3*. I'm a huge believer in good customer service and this tainted our stay slightly, along with not getting a room upgrade when promised.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Florasquire
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. Please accept my apologies for the fact that your stay wasn't satisfactory. I have taken note of the issues you describe and I will follow this up with the team members. I am pleased that you have taken the time to bring these issues to my attention. I do hope that this will not stop you returning to the hotel on a future visit to Hull.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel Hull

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stay in this hotel on a regular basis. The staff are really friendly and helpfully. One of the best things about this hotel is that they do a great room service menu. Another good thing it that they have free wifi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that the staff were really friendly and helpful. I am delighted that you also enjoy our room seervice menu at the hotel. I will passed on your comments to the chef and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future. With kind regards Mercure Royal Hotel - Hull

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had a fantastic time at the hotel whicj was located at the train station. Very welcoming and friendly. The gay flag was flying to celebrate gay pride 2013. Brilliant, felt totally safe and welcomed.

If I had 1 negative to say it would be the need for more tea/coffee/milk in the rooms and to use proper cafetieres to filter the coffee in the restaurant. But still more than happy with the stay !

Thankyou and see you all again !

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that your stay was welcoming and friendly. I am sorry that there were not enough beverage refreshments in your room, however we would have gladly replemished them for you had you called reception. I have passed on your comments about the coffee in the Restaurant to the Restaurant Manager and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future. With kind regards Mercure Royal Hotel - Hull

Reviewed July 24, 2013

very nice stay, central location, with good staff,free car parking,This is a true find in hull, a hotel with lots of character,located right at the train station,with easy access, nice breakfast in a relaxed setting.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for leaving a kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish. The team works hard to deliver excellent customer service, and I am pleased that the hotel has impressed you. I have passed on your comments to my team. I hope I am able to welcome you again soon.
regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

It is not difficult to see why this hotel achieves its very variable ratings. It is a venerable old building fronting right up to a busy, noisy main road and integral with the station at the rear - as originally intended. This means that rooms at the front are subject to a lot of noise, and if the air-conditioning fails or is inadequate (not unusual according to previous reports) the only solution is to open the double glazed windows and let in the noise with the fresh air. It is no co-incidence that the top 3 ranked hotels in Hull all have quiet, air-conditioned rooms. It may be expensive. but Mercure must sort out the aircon of this property.
On the other hand the in-house restaurant is excellent and on its own would rate 5 stars!. The dinner choice is good, the meals are tasty and well presented, portions are plentiful and include a mix of vegetables. Probably as good a hotel meal as you can get anywhere & for a reasonable price. Rooms are obviously variable in size but our Premier room was well kitted out with comfortable beds.
Many hotel nowadays clearly make their money from weddings and other events but they neglect the comfort of their staying guests at their peril.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read that you stay wasn't entirely satisfactory. However I was pleased to read that your meal in the hotel was tasty and well presented. I am pleased to confirm we are starting the extensive repairs to the aircon in the hotel next week. The hussle and bussle of the city centre will always be around my hotel, however, I would urge you to contact me directly upon you next stay in order for me personally to look after your arrangements. If there is anything I can help you with, please contact me.
Regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed for one night and must say from our arrival this stay was superb. The reception staff where very helpful and informative and and the room itself was ideal. Breakfast was wonderful and the young lady who waited on was very pleasant.I will definitely stay at this hotel when I go back to Hull like i said faultless.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed over night on a Travelstyle trip.Single rooms 330 and 331 were very nice.We had a three course tea,which was excellent,they also catered for my mum who is a coeliac.Drinks at the bar were expensive but the hotel is central to everything so we went out for a few drinks.Witherspoons is only across the road.Staff were friendly and helpful,I had a problem with my window and assistance was given promptly.Tea and coffee is available in your room this is in the top drawer,a strange place to put it.Would recommend this hotel for location and value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms 330 and 331 are single rooms no A/C but nice room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank debs_reynolds699
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Your positive feedback will work as encouragement to the team and is very much appriciated.
I look forward to welcome you again soon.
Regards,