“Great mid-week break”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great mid-week break”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My parents, partner and myself visited the hotel on an all inclusive offer from 24th to 26th April. The break was excellent value for money, the service was exceptional and the staff were extremely welcoming and efficient. The food in the restaurant was amazing and the free bar from 7 til 11 was an added bonus. Would recommend for a short break and will be booking again very soon.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed our all-inclusive offer. It does indeed represent real value for money. I have passed on you kind comments to the team. I look forward to welcome you again soon.
regards,
Luc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

this hotel was wonbderful for a great mid week break.we visited from the 24th to 26th april (my husband ,daughter and partner and myself) the hotel is spotlessly clean,the staff very helpful and friendly. the food was exceptionally good andvery well presented.it is very central and not far from beverley race course which we visited (didnt win much though )but great afternoon out.we went on an all inclusive offer tremendous value for money offer highly recommended .thanks again to the staff it was great

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. I have forwarded your kind comments to the team. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Oldham
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was a late all inclusive deal for my wife and I. The staff from start to finish couldn't do enough for you. Polite, warm, welcoming we were very impressed. Particlar mention for Andy the barman and Christine the waitress, who stood out with their friendly, genuine and professional way they went about their business. Rooms were clean and well equipped and the food in the restaurant was superb. I would definately recommend this hotel if you are ever staying in Hull

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving such a lovely review of my hotel on Tripadvisor. Your review will be a boost to the team and I have passed on your kind comments to Andy and Christine.
I look forward to welcome you again soon.
regards,
London
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was giving a guest lecture at the University of Hull and my hosts put me up in this hotel. In terms of location, it's great. You don't even have to leave the railway station to enter the hotel.

However, it should be obvious that the downside to a hotel in a station is noise from the platforms, announcements, and general hubbub of people in the surrounding area. Unbelievably, then, the window in my room not only was not double-glazed, but was an old-fashioned, ill-fitting sash window. There was a heavy wind the night I stayed and the window banged and rattled noisily all night, despite my shoving a cardboard folder and then an empty squashed loo roll tube between the ill-fitting window and the frame to try to stop them banging together. Also, as the bed was right by the window, I could actually feel a draught on my face as I lay in bed and could see the curtains moving. This hotel needs double-glazing fitting throughout as a matter of urgency. Without it, it is simply not fit for purpose.

Additionally, the room was really shabby. The kettle and hair dryer looked to be from the seventies and were cheap and nasty. The pillows were old and lumpy; the single cushion fraying. A ratty old blanket was provided for the bed which I had to pull over the paper-thin duvet -- scant protection against the gale force wind rattling through the window.

Worst of all perhaps was the bathroom. (Photos attached). Ancient, stained, cruddy old taps so stiff that with the rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers, I couldn't open the cold tap without wrapping a towel around it first and hurting my hand in the process. The shower was one of those useless fixed-to-the-wall ones that mean if you want to shower your body but not get your hair or face wet, it's absolutely unusable. The facilities were reminiscent of the bath/shower rooms in student halls that I've occasionally been booked into by organisers of academic conferences and promptly checked out of again in order to find a reasonable hotel.

Come on, Mercure Hull Royal Hotel; Mercure is a good chain and your establishment is in an excellent location. You can do better than this.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa D
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read that you stay wasn't entirely satisfactory. I have taken your feedback on board and we have already replaced duvets and pillows. My maintenance team is working on the tabs, as these are 20 years old and we will put a replacement program in place. The hussle and bussle of the city centre will always be around my hotel, however, I would urge you to contact me directly upon you next stay in order for me personally to look after your arrangements. If there is anything I can help you with, please contact me.
Luc

Travelers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Mary Tavy, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I needed a hotel that could cope with a very late arrival, for me and two colleagues, provide a good nights sleep and a reasonable breakfast and then an easy exit out of Hull towards our meeting destination. It ticked all the boxes, a little faded glory as I am guessing the old Hotel was the main railway stations Hotel, but I could recommend it and will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for leaving a positive review of my hotel. You are correct in saying that there is a lot of history to the hotel. Build in 1851, the hotel has accommodated Queen Victoria in 1854 and more recent has been prefered Hull location for Philip Larkin. I look forward to welcome you again soon and if you would like me to talk you through the full history of the hotel, please ask for me upon your next arrival.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

When you enter the hotel, there is a very large foyer area and a welcoming, light atmosphere. the reception staff are friendly and helpful. We always eat in the hotel restaurant on one of the evenings of our stay. The food is excellent, as is the service. The rooms we have had have been spacious, clean and comfortable. We visit Hull regularly and always stay at this hotel. We have booked another visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen V
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stays with us. It is always nice to recieve positive feedback. I look forward to welcome you again soon and if there is anything that I can do for you, please contact me.
spennymoor
Reviewed April 8, 2013

hotel is in one of the best locations, great for a weekend stay. rooms are clean sheets changed everyday. we booked through buyagift.com saved us quite a bit of money. its only down side is the price of the drinks at the bar £3.60 for john smiths is a bit steep as its only £1.60 in most bars in hull. if i was going back to hull i would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind comments to the team. I hope that I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Regards