“Good location - A bit tired”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Well located in the city - next to the train station.
This is a Victorian hotel so you shouldn't be surprised that it looks a bit worn,
Breakfast is decent. Fairly standard by 3 star regimes
Staff are excellent but rooms are bit pokey and have small windows.
Not one for a romantic break but decent enough for a short visit to the city
Value for money is v good

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
royalhotelmanager, Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments to the team and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Booked this trip to celebrate my Mums birthday in early March, and take her on a trip down memory lane, as she used to live in Hull as a child. We booked an inclusive special offer deal that was fantastic value for money, having chosen the Hotel primarily for its central location and the good reveiws we had read on Trip Advisor. On arrival at the Hotel, we were upgraded to an executive room which was a spacious, clean room offering all the amenties we required and lots of additional extra's such as bathrobes, coffee machine, sewing kit etc etc. During our stay we were treated so well by all the staff, from the cleaning staff to the hotel manager who made himself known to us on the day of our arrival, and even went to the trouble of arranging for us to have a guided tour of the local Art Gallery to celebrate my Mums birthday! All the staff we met were efficient, professional and could not do enough for you - and really made an effort to make my Mum feel special. I must mention Christine who serves in the lounge bar; she was so friendly & cheerfull and took the time (when she could) to chat with my Mum about how Hull had changed and helped my Mum to identify landmarks from days gone by.

The food was really very nice - especially given the price we paid; a good choice in the evening with a menu that changed daily, and a good variety of hot and cold options at breakfast. The Hotel is actually part of the station, so you get your breakfast looking out onto the platforms, which was really nice as you could imagine the old days with the steam trains chugging in and out (something that my Mum could actually remember!).

I would 100% choose to stay here if visiting Hull again (regardless of whether there is a special offer available) as this hotel offers just the right balance of professionalsim and friendliness, with a staff team who; from top to bottom - are clearly committed to providing excellent customer care, a fantastic central location and everything you need on hand. Many thanks to the Manager; Luc, Christine and the rest of the team for a really enjoyable stay& for making Mum's birthday so special! We hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. I am looking through all our reviews and have to apologies that we didn’t reply any sooner. I value your feedback and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
With kind regards,
Luc

Reviewed March 31, 2013

What a great experience to stay here. The rooms are good and the food excellent. The only complaint is that the showers were difficult to operate !
The staff here are delightful and only too eager to please, would stay here again tomorrow.

Room Tip: Think you need to have a room at the back thus avoiding noise from the main road, but we heard no no...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments about the shower to the maintenance Manager and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a twin room. The location is perfect if you are arriving by train and for the centre of hull as all the shopping areas and restaurants are within walking distance. Besides the reasonable price the other benefits of this hotel have to be the free parking (and there is a lot of it, not just the area in front of the hotel) and also the free wifi. The room was comfortable and clean, the only problem we had was with the shower as we struggled to turn it off.
The breakfast was good, nothing amazing but it was only £8 for all the usual continental options and cooked breakfast including made to order items such as kippers. We thought it was ver good value.
The hotel soon a lovely old building and all the communal areas are well decorated, comfortable and clean.
The staff were friendly and fairly helpful but weren't particularly informative, you had to ask them to find out about breakfast etc.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments about turning off the shower to the Maintence Manager to look at, and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Have stayed here twice now on visits to see family. The hotel itself is pretty good, large welcoming interior, no fault with rooms, breakfast good and the wifi works. What sets this hotel apart is the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, they make it a pleasure to stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments to the team and I am really pleaased that you found the staff helpful and friendly. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Very handy for the station, and all the noise that goes with it. Noisy corridors. Trouble with the hot water (or lack of it). Comfy bed, clean towels. Free wifi, now that was a good touch, but vouchers required. Ample breakfast. A grand old building, with history, but tired.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for leaving a review. Please accept my apologies for the fact that your stay wasn't satisfactory. I have taken note of the issues you describe and I will follow this up with the team members. I am pleased that you have taken the time to bring these issues to my attention.

Regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay in this hotel and we enjoyed every minute. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you, rooms were spotlessly clean and breakfast was excellent. We travelled by train and only had to step off the platform and virtually enter the hotel. There was no noise from the station at all! It is in a great location for shopping or visiting the many museums. Thanks Royal Hotel for a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and they will try to oblige.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple