The Royal Hotel Hull
Portland Hotel(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Hull(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Restaurant
Doubletree by Hilton Hull(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hull Central(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Hull Marina(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Pool
Campanile Hull - City Center(Kingston-upon-Hull)
Kingston Theatre Hotel(Kingston-upon-Hull)
  • Breakfast included
1,425 results
All reviewstrain stationall inclusive dealqueen victoriacoach tripevening mealnational holidaysfree parkingbuffet breakfastcity centrebar areathird floortea and coffeesaturday nightweekend breaktwin roomstayed here for one nightexcellent value for money
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I don't usually leave hotel reviews, but I was compelled to leave one after staying at the Royal Station.

I have stayed in many Mercure hotels and so was quite confident when booking here while on business. I'm afraid that this particular hotel was a complete let down!

When I made my reservation I was assured that there would be ample parking at the hotel, which was one reason that swayed me from staying with some of their more modestly priced competitors. When I arrived however, the car park was packed to capacity, so I was forced to find alternative parking (quite far away, late at night in a strange city, at extra cost to myself, with heavy bags).

When I eventually arrived to check in, the receptionist was completely unconcerned about my parking issue, telling me that parking is "first come first served", which quite frankly wasn't the apologetic answer I was looking for after previously being told parking wouldn't be an issue.

When I eventually arrived at my room (after negotiating the maze of corridors), I then had issues with my key card. Without going into too much detail, this key system in this hotel is the most bizarre in all the hotels I have stayed in. It took me around 5 minutes to gain entry into the room, and it wasn't just me, there was a group of 5 or 6 Russian gents trying to get into their room also.

It was at the point of entry into the room that I wished I had gone strait back to reception to ask for a refund and attempt to find alternative accommodation. The room had the aroma of a week old ash tray, it was unclean (the worst was finding hairs in my bed), the window rattled, there was noise from the announcements in the train station, I honestly think I would have had a better nights sleep in my car. It was also very called and the radiator was only lukewarm.

In the morning I'm afraid it didn't get any better. I was looking for a hot powerful shower to wake me up, you would not believe that when I went to turn the shower on, the actual lever came off in my hand and I got soaked before even getting in!!!

Breakfast was no better. The bacon was cold and hard (like it had been under the hot lamps too long), the eggs were watery and my fork was unclean. I've literally had better at McDonald's (and they don't charge £8). The only plus about this stay is that the coffee wasn't bad. At least they managed to get this right, but to be fair it's quite hard to mess up a cup of coffee (and the least you could expect in a 3* hotel).

Another thing I should mention (particularly for those on business) is that the wifi here is by no means fast, in fact, that would be the understatement of the year. I would compare it the old dial-up modem speed I had in the 90s!

In short, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again even if they paid me! Do yourself a favour, go for one of the newer (cleaner) hotels within the city. There have been a few spring up recently in the city so I'm told. Most definitely don't make the mistake of thinking this hotel is like other Mercures, because it is NOT!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank dirao
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to read that your stay hasn't been to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies. In regards to the car parking, the hotel offers 86 spaces of which some are at the front and side of the hotel and another 50 next to the train station. I am surprised that you couldn't find a space to park. I agree that my receptionist could have been more sympathetic. Our key card system is an older version as used in many other hotels and I know that this sometimes creates issues. The hotel is looking into resolving this, but unfortunately there is no quick solution to this. I have spoken with my housekeeping team in regards to the cleanliness issue in your room, this is not typical to the hotel and remedial action has been taken. I have also provided my breakfast team with your feedback and they have been tasked to resolve this. The team and I work hard to deliver excellent quality and service and I must reiterate my apologies again for the fact that we failed to do so on this occassion. Please contact me directly on gm@hotels-hull.co.uk in order for me to apologies in person and to see what I can do to ensure that you will come and stay with us again.
I look forward to hear from you.
Regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and the parking around the side of the hotel near the train station was reasonably easy to locate and access.

The main hotel was accessed at the front on the main road along with further parking spaces. The main reception was located in large lobby area complete with some original ornate features and a café/restaurant area. Although the staff members on reception were welcoming, their manner felt quite automated and impersonal.

We used the lift in the lobby area to access our room via corridors located on the first floor of the building. The hallways were pleasantly decorated and had the feel of an old town hall type building.

The room door entry system was pretty old fashioned but worked quite well if you pushed hard on it. The room had high ceilings and appeared on the surface fairly pleasant. However, on closer inspection, there were a few faults that could have been easily rectified and would have improved the room's appearance.

The bathroom, although clean was poorly maintained with several holes in the tiles where there was some signs of general wear and tear.

The bedroom could have done with a good inspection from the head housekeeper, as the cleaning was well below par! There were stains along the wall, dust along some of the fixtures and generally poor attention to detail.

During our stay we had to ring the doorbell at the main entrance late at night and the night time duty staff were quick to answer and very polite.

Apart from the poor quality of housekeeping in the room, the décor and the room itself wasn’t too bad. The layout of the room we stayed in was quite strange, with one side of the bed butting up against the window and radiator.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie B

Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Trip advisor. I value your comments and we have put actions in place with the housekeeping team in regards to the maintenance and cleanliness issues in the bed rooms. I am however pleased to read that it wasn't all 'too bad'. We work hard to provide excellent quality and service and we know that we sometimes fail, however your feedback will be used constructively and I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

What lovely staff! And the food was excellent too!

I can't rate this hotel highly enough.

I've worked with a number of hotels running murder mystery evenings across the UK. In our 7 years of business, you can imagine I've worked with some good and some not so good places.

Our event at Mercure was event managed by the hotel team suberbly. I simply can't say enough "nice things" about what a delight they all were to work with. The meal was 5* too, and the venue was decorated beautifully.

The attention to detail was wonderful, and the team were so friendly and helpful throughout the evening. Well done to all at Mercure Hotel - I look forward to many future events with you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your function in our hotel. The team works very hard to meet and exceed guest expectations and I am pleased we excelled on this occassion. I have shared your comments with the team and I hope that you will book with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The staff could not have been more helpfull,the room was great but the big suprise was the meal in the hotel it was first class the place should have been full. I look forward to my next weekend away Ged

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments to the team and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel's main benefit is that it is in the centre of Hull in the old railway hotel; which is also a drawback as the railway station and back alleys are a social melting pot and experiment in free enterprise. The architecture is impressive but the rooms are tired. I found the heat oppressive in the room and i had to turn off the radiator and turn on the air conditioning to compensate. We stayed in Hull on a Thursday night at the beginning of January and decided to eat out that night. Bad choice as we found only one bistro open as most close by 630 pm in winter. We should have eaten in the hotel as, judging by the breakfast the next morning, we imagine we would have found the meal satisfactory. It's a neither ""here nor there hotel, unfortunately.

Room Tip: Stay out of Hull :)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you had a enjoyable stay despite the 'heating' issues. I am however sorry to read that you found our hotel 'neither her nor there' My aim is to outshine my colleague hotels and I the fact that we haven't made a lasting impression I will address with the team. I hope that you will come and stay with us again in the near future and I am positive that you will thoroughly enjoy your business stay.