“Very Average for a grand looking hotel”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Average for a grand looking hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and the parking around the side of the hotel near the train station was reasonably easy to locate and access.

The main hotel was accessed at the front on the main road along with further parking spaces. The main reception was located in large lobby area complete with some original ornate features and a café/restaurant area. Although the staff members on reception were welcoming, their manner felt quite automated and impersonal.

We used the lift in the lobby area to access our room via corridors located on the first floor of the building. The hallways were pleasantly decorated and had the feel of an old town hall type building.

The room door entry system was pretty old fashioned but worked quite well if you pushed hard on it. The room had high ceilings and appeared on the surface fairly pleasant. However, on closer inspection, there were a few faults that could have been easily rectified and would have improved the room's appearance.

The bathroom, although clean was poorly maintained with several holes in the tiles where there was some signs of general wear and tear.

The bedroom could have done with a good inspection from the head housekeeper, as the cleaning was well below par! There were stains along the wall, dust along some of the fixtures and generally poor attention to detail.

During our stay we had to ring the doorbell at the main entrance late at night and the night time duty staff were quick to answer and very polite.

Apart from the poor quality of housekeeping in the room, the décor and the room itself wasn’t too bad. The layout of the room we stayed in was quite strange, with one side of the bed butting up against the window and radiator.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie B
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Trip advisor. I value your comments and we have put actions in place with the housekeeping team in regards to the maintenance and cleanliness issues in the bed rooms. I am however pleased to read that it wasn't all 'too bad'. We work hard to provide excellent quality and service and we know that we sometimes fail, however your feedback will be used constructively and I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.
Luc Perquin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

What lovely staff! And the food was excellent too!

I can't rate this hotel highly enough.

I've worked with a number of hotels running murder mystery evenings across the UK. In our 7 years of business, you can imagine I've worked with some good and some not so good places.

Our event at Mercure was event managed by the hotel team suberbly. I simply can't say enough "nice things" about what a delight they all were to work with. The meal was 5* too, and the venue was decorated beautifully.

The attention to detail was wonderful, and the team were so friendly and helpful throughout the evening. Well done to all at Mercure Hotel - I look forward to many future events with you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your function in our hotel. The team works very hard to meet and exceed guest expectations and I am pleased we excelled on this occassion. I have shared your comments with the team and I hope that you will book with us again in the near future.
Yeadon UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The staff could not have been more helpfull,the room was great but the big suprise was the meal in the hotel it was first class the place should have been full. I look forward to my next weekend away Ged

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I have passed on your comments to the team and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Morecambe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel's main benefit is that it is in the centre of Hull in the old railway hotel; which is also a drawback as the railway station and back alleys are a social melting pot and experiment in free enterprise. The architecture is impressive but the rooms are tired. I found the heat oppressive in the room and i had to turn off the radiator and turn on the air conditioning to compensate. We stayed in Hull on a Thursday night at the beginning of January and decided to eat out that night. Bad choice as we found only one bistro open as most close by 630 pm in winter. We should have eaten in the hotel as, judging by the breakfast the next morning, we imagine we would have found the meal satisfactory. It's a neither ""here nor there hotel, unfortunately.

Room Tip: Stay out of Hull :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you had a enjoyable stay despite the 'heating' issues. I am however sorry to read that you found our hotel 'neither her nor there' My aim is to outshine my colleague hotels and I the fact that we haven't made a lasting impression I will address with the team. I hope that you will come and stay with us again in the near future and I am positive that you will thoroughly enjoy your business stay.
Ballarat, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Whilst the location of this hotel is good, and the service for the most part is friendly the Mercure Hull failed to impress me. The rooms are ok, but looking tired. The bathroom was looking its age, the showerhead was rusty and the only way to turn on the shower required first being blasted with cold water which meant a strange game of quickly ducking in and out in order to let the water heat up, or turning the shower head into the wall. There was no minifridge but the TV had a good selection of channels. The walls were thin, which meant my mother in the twin bed closest to the bathroom was left able to hear all the goings on in the bathroom of the room next to us- not a delightful experience. You have to go through a myriad of fire doors to get to your room- something which can be quite difficult with luggage. The worst part of our trip however came on our 2nd last night when, stopping at reception to ask a question, I was informed we should have checked out and that to stay an extra night I would have to pay. I was shocked as I had prepaid for 5 nights, not 4. The girl at the desk had to give me a new key to get in to our room so I could double check my paper work as our old key no longer worked. On presentation of the booking she could see I indeed had booked 5 nights. The computer had automatically deducted the wrong rates from my prepaid balance, leaving me with not enough credit to cover the last night. Seeing it was the computers fault and not mine we were allowed to stay on. However she said I would have to pay for breakfast which was another surprise. We had not eaten breakfast in the hotel once so the matter was dropped.As a large tour group had come in that night I'd hate to think what they would have done had they booked our room out to someone else. I reported this to Mercure and hope they sought out their computer booking system. Our room, due to the fact they thought we were leaving, had not been cleaned and we were told housekeeping had gone home so all they could do was get us anything new we needed such as towels. My mum collected these from reception and we had to make our own beds. This wasn't a huge deal but would it have been too much for someone on reception to offer to do this? On leaving the next day there was a different person on desk who asked if I had paid for last nights room, meaning I had to explain the situation over again. He also asked for payment for breakfast, another issue I had to correct. I had read reviews of this hotel before booking and had put naysayers off as snobs or being picky, however, unfortunately I have to agree that the Mercure Hull Royal Hotel is not a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review on tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that my team failed to deliver excellent customer service. I have addressed the issues with my Front Office manager. Please accept my apologies for the breakdown in communication on our side. In regards to your comments about our bathrooms, they are about 20 years old and we are in the process of replacing the shower head and taps into a newer, easier to operate version. Our rooms unfortunately, don't offer a mini bar or fridge. I take on board the comment in regards to the firedoors. I also would like to apologise for the fact that my Duty Manager did not assist you in servicing the room when this was clearly a mistake made by us. I have spoken to the Duty Manager who worked that night. I do hope that you return to us on a future visit to Hull as I am keen to show that the issues you experienced have been rectified. Please contact me directly and I will personally look after your arrangements.
Ilkley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I just want to start by saying in Hull there seems to be a drastic lack of decent hotel accommodation nothing in the four star bracket at all and that fourth star in my opinion makes all the difference.
Me and my partner arrived at the hotel late afternoon and sat and had a drink in the impressive looking foyer but if you look closely the upholstery is very tired but still acceptable,because there is an entrance from the back of Hull paragon train station
it dosent feel very safe as school children and all and sundry use it as a shortcut not very relaxing.
i went to check in and had booked an upgraded room,the young man on reception was not very welcoming at all there was just no customer service at all no kind of welcome in any way shape or form,nothing was explained where breakfast was or any other facilities within the hotel just appauling serious training needed.
we got into the lift to our room which was old scratched and tatty,we got to the room and went in and my immediate impression was one of cold unapealing slightly earie with an uncomfortable atmosphere.
the bed was was ok with clean linen and the bathroom was spotless to be fair but the toilteries had not been changed.
the room had a few good things like a coffee machine and two flat screeen tvs one in the seating area which had one of thoose wipe clean leather effect sofas.
we came back to the room after eating out just around the corner.
we got off to sleep but i was woken by a few banging noises outside the room in the early hours and also i heard this noise like someone being dragged across the floor outside the room it was very spooky i later looked this up and other guests have noted some strange bangs and goings on i know what i heard thats all i can say.
checkout was far better to be honest a very helpful girl with great enthusiasm,we didnt have breakfast as i really wanted to just leave and get on my train back to leeds.
To sum up i will never be returning its a shame as the old building is fantastic but its got too many problems for my liking im not a snob by any stretch of the immagination but will be sticking with my four star Hiltons.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Boothwink
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am dissapointed to read that you have had a mixed experience in my hotel. The hotel aims to deliver excellent customer service and I apologise that some of my team members failed to do so on this occassion. I must disagree with your comment about Hull not offering decent hotel accommodation as that is not the case, I agree that there isn't any 4 star hotel operator, despite the fact that some hotels have tried but failed to deliver this and unfortuately both 4 star properties have gone into adminstration. We are in the process of making plans to upgrade the corridors and our room offering. I am unsure as to the noises you heard but I am pleased to read that check out was a good experience. I do hope I can persuade you to stay with us again and please contact me directly in order for me to look after your arrangements in person.
I look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Room was very small and had to sleep next to radiator! Not quite as clean as it could have been, and smokers outside front door would put a non smoker off! Having said that, the location is great, whether driving or using the train. Would stay here again, but probably would mention my concerns the next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank patvarney76
Thank you for leaving a review. I apologies that you experience hasn't been entirely satisfactory. I agree that the smoking at the front door doesn't look very good and during December we did monitor this more closely and pointed our smoking guests more in the direction of the ashtrays rather then in front of the enterance. I will reiterate your comments to my team. I hope that you will be returning to the hotel in the near future. I look forward to welcome you again.