“wonderfull weekend.......” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Royal Hotel Hull
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“wonderfull weekend.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just spent a lovely weekend at the Mercure Royal Hotel at Hull. We have stayed before about four years ago at about the same time of year for our Xmas shopping, but it was owned by another group then, we returned as it is in the heart of the main shopping zones with easy free parking. and we liked how the backdoor of the hotel leads straight onto the station platform, which was great last time as we nipped to York on the train on the saturday afternoon.

We had taken the 'all inclusive. offer when we booked and I have to say that it was brilliant, the food was realy good with a realy good choice on the friday evening, but due to the inevitable bus trip on the Saturday the restraunt was very busy and so the menu was restricted which was a pity, although I do undestand that Hotels need these bus trips to survive, and it happens everywhere we stay.

We had a free upgrade to a superior room on arrival which we could not fault, recent refurbishment I think, with flat screen tv etc.

Evening drinks were included in the offer as well as Tea and coffee both days plus lunch on the saturday which was good for the price, ( first time weve had all inclusive in the uk).

The staff were very helpfull and could not be more friendlier

All in all its a wonderful hotel, perfectly situated wih free parking, smart rooms, lovely staff and fantastic food, all at an unbelievable price, well done you all, we will be back soon if the offer is still on!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your all-inclusive stay with us. I appriciate your kind feedback as the team work very hard to please our guests and your comments will work as encouragement to continue to do so. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Luc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for an overnight business trip. The reception staff were polite and walking into the ground floor is quite impressive. Unfortunately, the same cant be said for the rooms. The bed covers are on their last legs and so are the towels which are threadbare. Asked for an iron at reception and they said someone would bring it up, but it never arrived.
The room was dirty. I went to open the window and happened to look down at the radiator. The dust and dirt behind it was absolutely terrible. If I can see it, they can clean it. This is months if not years of dirt. If these are the standards of cleanliness, I'm not interested in trying the food.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving a review. I am concerned that you commented on the state of the bed covers. We use an outside linen provider and any linen with issues, e.g. marks, threads etc is monitored by them. I have taken this up with my housekeeping team and the linen supplier as you rightly mention this is unacceptable. We typically have no major cleanliness issues and I pride myself on having one of the cleanest hotels in Hull. I have however put in some additional measures to address any high and low level dusting. I hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future and please contact me direclty for me to look after you arrangements.
I look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Fab stay staff and food% stayed here 4 times now every times the rooms are good and clean nothing to much trouble for the staff .... It has a free car park unlike other hotels in centre of hull ...it's right next door to the train station and in the heart of the city centre would recommend to anyone ....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you have had 4 enjoyable stays with us. I trust that I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

On arrival reception staff were indifferent and unwelcoming. My room was a double but the room was of a size and shape that meant you could not walk round the bed. The bed was so close to one wall that it was a side ways suffle to get into bed. The bed base was not securlely fixed and the carpet did not meet the wall and was poorly fitted. The carpet had not been vacuumed up to the skirting board and there was a dusty white edge to the carpet. The shower control knob came off in my hand. I was soaked trying to get it back on. Breakfast was poor and almost cold. Our room was quiet and there was little or no street noise. The bar staff were polite and efficient. Check out was as misserable an experience as checking in. "Hello" and "Good morning" seem to be alien words to the staff. I was so upset with the staff attitude I left without complainng at the time. When I next return to Hull I will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check the size and shape of your room before booking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarasa1
Thank you for leaving a review. I am dissapointed to read that your stay didn't meet your expectations. I have addressed the various issues with the relevant departments. I would like to offer you a complimentary stay as I am keen to show you that your experience isn't typical for my hotel. I do admit that we make mistakes but the team and I use our mistake as a learning curve. I am confident that we offer great value for money and I hope that you will contact me direclty in order for me to arrange your future stay.
I look forward to hear from you soon.
Regards,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Nice hotel, good all inclusive package, food reasonable, great for an overnight or 2 night stop in Hull, fab prices.
Staff did not always seem sure of what they were supposed to do but overall friendly and caring team. Very busy when we visited (mothers day) but staff tried to please. Overall good value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. It is nice to read that you have had an enjoyable stay in my hotel and I hope that you will return to us in the near future.
dunston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here earlier on this year and our experience was so bad we were invited to stay on a complimentary basis how i wish we hadnt bothered The staff were informed that we were going to be there and it was so embarrasing as they either ignored us or tried so hard to please us It was really wierd that the member of staff( Rebecca) that had caused us so much upset the first
time we stayed at this hotel was inthe queue front of me at breakfast the next day as i had been told by Alison the manager that she had been sacked. T he food was again cold and inedible We werent allowed to chose from the main menu until David the duty manager had got permissission from someone else when i did chose from the main menu there was none left "coincidence" Breakfast was a shambles
No tables no food left .All in all another bad experience . imust say the room was better than the first time ,

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathersdunston
Thank you for your review. I am dissapointed to read that your experience didn't live up to the expectations. However, i have spoken to my management team whom welcomed you in the hotel. They were under the impression that your stay was enjoyable, so I am not sure where the truth lies at the moment. In regards to the staff member that you encountered whilst in the queu for breakfast, she is no longer employed by the hotel. Returning guests on a complemantary stay issued by me are typically well looked after and I am sorry to read that you got the impression that some of my staff members ignored you. I am sure that has not been deliberate and my apologies if you got that impression. I appriciate that you have shared your experience.
Luc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#1 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to The Royal Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!