“Glad I chose this hotel despite poor reviews”

The Royal Hotel Hull
England
“Glad I chose this hotel despite poor reviews”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I almost did not stay here as there were a number of poor reviews about the state of rooms but took a chance and am very glad I did. The hotel is right next to the train and bus station, it is in a great position for everything in the city centre. The receptionist was very friendly and the room itself was modern and clean. Large wall mounted flat screen TV, wardrobe, dressing table, luggage shelf, armchair, hairdryer and kettle. The double bed was 2 singles made up to form a large double but as the room I booked was listed as two single beds (as this was the only room left) it was better than I expected. There were no views from the window but this was fine. It was very quiet for a Saturday night, I didn't hear any noise from inside or outside of the hotel. The shower was powerful enough and water was hot. Air conditioning worked fine, but room still pretty warm. I ordered room service and the food was very good quality and reasonably priced. I had room service breakfast which was fine, the cooked breakfast is only served in the restaurant and smelled fantastic. I will definitely stay again. As someone mentioned there are lots of doors to go through, a little like a maze to get to the room but I had only hand luggage so was not a problem.

1 Thank Lisa73
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to read that you have had an enjoyable experience in my hotel. It is nice to recieve positive feedback. I hope that I am able to welcome you again in the near future. If there is anything else that I can assist you with in the meantime, please contact me directly.
Luc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here with work, as it was the hotel recommended for the conference. Yes, it was not expensive. But it was pretty disappointing. Lots of arrived at the same time with a tight turnaround before the evening function. We queued for some time, I wasn't offered help with my luggage, my room was through approximately 6 double doors and several steps, not easy with luggage. The access panel for the bathroom panel was off and lying in the bedroom. But worst of all, a tile at the foot of the toilet was completely broken in two, loose and wobbly. This could easily have cut my foot, particularly during a night time bathroom visit. On returning from the restaurant at approximately midnight, a colleague and I were 'locked out' for ten minutes, as no one would answer the locked entrance doors to the hotel. If I had been on my own, I would have been quite frightened as there are lots of undesirables around. The porter was eventually summoned from stacking chairs in another room by another returning guest who spotted him through the window. He didn't even apologise. The next morning, I was awoken by loud train announcements and engines running, as my room actually looked over the train station platforms. Breakfast was mediocre, the scrambled eggs completely tasteless. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rosycheeks
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. I appriciate your feedback and I apologise for the fact that we didn't deliver our usual high standard of service. In regards to your comment about the door that you have had to go through, I appricate that this can potentially be difficult with luggage, unfortunately, these doors are fire doors and play an important role in the unlikely event of a fire. I have no explanation for the maintenance issue in your room and I will take this up with my maintenance manager. We have a system in place to check bed rooms on any housekeeping and maintenance issue, and clearly this hasn't been followed prior to your stay. I have addressed you issue of entering the hotel at midnight with my night porters team. As I am keen to show that your experience has been a one off, I would appriciate it if you could contact me directly in order for me to apologise in person. Please use my direct email address if you wish to do so. gm@hotels-hull.co.uk
I look forward to speak to you soon.
Luc

Travelers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Surrey
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Booked at relatively short notice via laterooms.com. On arrival had to wait for receptionist who was not particularly pleasant and she didn't ask if I wanted to upgrade (I only found out later that I could from the info in the room). I did ask, on checking in, if I could have an iron and ironing board sent up to my room and was told that it would be done. An hour later I called down and asked again, this time spoke with a chap on reception and request the iron again and a further 30 minutes later I chased it up again. At that point he apologised and said he'd bring it straight up himself, which he did. The room was small, cramped and the sash window was extremely difficult to open or close. I had to climb onto the windowsill to move it!

I had a room service meal (smooth pate with toast, side salad, chips and creme brulee); very average quality. Pate was bizarrely warm under it's top coat of cold butter, chips were nice, salad was average and creme brulee was quite a disappointment - so glad I didn't eat in the 'fine dining' restaurant that was offering the same menu!

The noise from the railway station was quite obtrusive and later in the evening the noise from homegoing drinkers and clubbers kept waking me. As there was a flat roof outside my window I did not feel comfortable sleeping with it open so tossed and turned all night as the room was so hot (no airconditioning). Breakfast was average, very little choice other than standard fried menu, 4 cereals, pain au chocolate or plain croissant or toast. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The room rate was £150 a night, I paid £65 through www.laterooms.com. If I was disappointed at £65/night I would have been outraged at £150!

Great city centre location and free parking (as long as there is a space!). I would use them again, but only at £65/night and would request upgrade for aircon.

Room Tip: Check it has airconditioning first.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased that you have taken the time to feedback in such detail about your recent stay. I will use your feedback in a constructive way to address that various issues with the Departemental Managers. The team and me work hard to ensure we deliver excellent quality and service, however, I am realistic enough to acknowledge that we do make mistakes. I will look into your feedback about the noise from the homegoing drinkers as this is a concern. I hope you will return to the hotel on a future visit to Hull and if you do, please contact me directly and I will look after your arrangements to ensure you have a fabulous stay.
With kind regards,
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Overnight stay, short notice and booked in within 20mins.Extremely helpful reservations/receptionist Kirsty helped out with events info, happening that evening in the city.Room was excellent,views onto city square.Didnt eat but everything included in stay was very good.Shower was powerful & hot.Lots in room info.Would definately stay again..Top Marks !!

2 Thank Phil1959848
Thank you for leaving such a kind review on Tripadvisor. I have passed on your comments to Kirsty and I will share you review with the rest of the team as well. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
With kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here as apart of a group, it was very busy, weddings also going on. The room was adequate, smelled musty and damp, I soon found out the cause, the shower was leaking. Air con did not work, was very warm, our room was on the front so very noisy with window open . Food was average, not a lot of it. Breakfast was again average. I noticed the group wer served coffee whilst the other guest were given seperate pots. I wonder why? It is very central and I was very impressed with Hull, a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. Reviews such as yours enable me to fine tune any service and quality issues. The hotel is indeed very busy, especially in August & September when the hotel is in the hight of the wedding season. I apologise for the room issues, I have asked my maintenance manager to double check all rooms on any outstanding repairs. In regards to the air con, we have experienced various issues with the condensator pumps and we are in the process of carrying out repairs to bring the system back into full working condition. In regards to you question as to why a group is served coffee and others gets individual pots, from a operational point of view, it works better (quicker) to serve our groups & tours coffee as they usually have a limited breakfats time due to their day schedule etc. Our Mercure standard is to serve guests coffee in seperate pots. I hope that explains the difference? If you have any further questions or if there is anything I can help you with, please contact me directly.
I look forward to welcome again in the near future.
Downtown Timperley
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Overnight say, Bed, breakfast and evening meal. Hotel very nice and clean. Staff helpfull. Huge king size bed in our room and decent sized tv. Hotel rooms quiet, despite a wedding party. Dinner ok, (We had the special menu for Groups, somewhat restricted from the a la carte, but good value for what we paid.) Only grouse drinks were a tad expensive. Hotel itself situated right next to the station and very convenient for the Old Town, with it's museums, shops and entertainments. Only a 3 star, which quite surprised me, I thought it might have made a four, but don't let that put you off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of my hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. It is refeshing to know that you have taken the time to leave some positive comments about the hotel. I will share you comments with the team. We work hard to ensure we deliver excellent quality and service and we clearly got it right during your stay. I also take on board your comment about the drink prices. In regards to 4 stars, you never know, we might at some day achieve that AA rating.
I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Three of us were trying to check in and the receptionist was having a chat to someone and didn't even acknowledge us! I had booked an executive room online a week prior to my stay. Upon checking in, i asked twice if my room was an executive one and the receptionist ignored me.

when I reached the room it was dreadful. Tv hanging off the wall, air conditioning not working, broken bedside lamps.... I called reception and was informed they had run out of executive rooms! When I informed her that is what they sold me, she rudely said 'I didn't sell you anything!'
She said a manager would come to my room. 15 mins later a housekeeper turned up with a coffee machine which apparently would turn my room into an executive room!

At this time I looked on their website and saw they were still selling exec rooms for that night! When the manager finally turned up, I showed him my email confirmation and after some investigation, he found out that I could have the exec room next door as they had just fixed the hot water in there.

When I got into that room, I found that the tv only had 2 channels. When I asked someone about this, I was told that it wasn't working due to the digital switchover!!

Then I found out that 2 other members of our party had to change rooms due to damp and cigarette smells.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS DUMP!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank karenk041
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor.
I am sorry to hear that you have experienced an appearant cataloge of issues during your stay. This is not typical to my hotel and I am keen to find out exactly what happened, but most of all, I would like to apologize in person. My team and I work very hard to exceed our guests expecations, but we have clearly failed on this occassion.
Would you please be so kind to contact me directly on gm@hotels-hull.co.uk as I would like to find out how I can resolve the issues to your satisfaction. I look forward to hear from you.
Luc Perquin