“Good value and situation.”

The Sailmakers Pub and Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on the banks of the Humber Estuary the view from The Sailmakers is unparalleled. The building is rustic and unique with many of the buildings original features still in place. The Sailmakers comprises of a light open plan restaurant that overlooks the river with a large bar and separate drinking area, complete with pool table, gaming machines and a large screen television for non‐diners. Next door to the restaurant area is our Wacky Corner, a soft play area with ball pool, slide and separate toddler section. Outside are two good sized seating areas both overlooking the river and great views of the Humber Bridge. The Sailmakers is located on a large retail park just off the A63.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Handily situated in St Andrews Quay and overlooking the river Humber, this 'gastro-pub' offers excellent food at very good prices. The two of us had the steak pie each with coffee. Or should I say we had a square steak pie with lovely soft butter pastry, garden peas and mashed potatoes with enough salt to give it taste (no pc anti salt brigade here!). The coffee was Costa and all for less than £18. We go there most times we visit St Andrews and will continue to do so.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

After a previous poor experience at a Fayre & Square pub/restaurant I would not have chosen to eat at another, however they had sent us some vouchers as an apology so we popped in for a bite to eat on a weekday lunchtime.

My partner chose the BBQ bucket and I went for the 8oz sirloin - because of my choice the meals were not part of any of the 2 for offers available as the sirloin is classed as a "top dish".
With 2 large Pepsis the bill came to just over £24.

When our meals arrived I noticed that there were no mushrooms or peas with my steak, when I mentioned this to the server I was told I hadn't asked for them. I pointed out the menu which says "Served with chips, peas, button mushrooms, grilled tomato and onion rings" so I hadn't expected to request them. These arrived within minutes so it wasn't a big problem.
My steak which I asked for mefdium- rare was bordering on well done and was quite tough. As the meal was almost gratis courtesy of the vouchers I couldn't be bothered to complain.
My partner said that the ribs which were in the BBQ bucket were awful, and the garlic bread accompaniment were quite obviously cheap and nasty.

The ladies toilets were clean enough, however neither hand-drier worked leaving me with wet hands.

I don't expect fine dining of these sort of restaurants however if I had been paying for the meal I would have been extremely disappointed. There are many nice country pubs around our area where we could have got a lovely meal for the price it should have cost.

We will not be back!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Myself and my family are great fans of the fair and square food pub chains but this place is by far the worst we have ver been to. Staff are rude lazy and not in the mood to deal with the general public thats generally what happens if your pub is staffed with teenagers. we have been here a few times and every time was a Big disapointment, never have i eaten here and recieved a hot meal nor a meal that was complete and food takes ages to come out . whilst having our recent meal the table across from us sent there food back 3 times and gave up in th end their food which contained veg was raw undercooked and rock solid each time they sent it back it was back within a minute supposedly now cooked, This place is a huge embarrestment to the pub chain it is owned by

4  Thank kirbyfamile
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My friend and I went here on the spur of the moment...and I was so pleased we did, it was very good. For me, the only downside was that there were a lot of noisy children - why on earth can't parents supervise/discipline them, it is unacceptable to have them screaming and shouting, they really spoil it for everyone else. I can only suggest a child free zone would be appropriate for those of us who wish to dine nowhere near unruly children.

We both had the 8oz steak and it was very good. I ordered pepper sauce, it cost £1 - I have never been given such a tiny amount, it most definitely wasn't worth it. But everything else was great. There are a lot of really good offers.

I would strongly recommend the introduction of a child free zone to make the visit more pleasant for customers who dine without children.

2  Thank tateypan
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Decided to have a family meal whilst we were over in Hull. We haven't been in this pub for several years. My wife and I had Thai chicken curry, and my daughter a square chicken burger. The price including drinks I think was around £26. Our meal was delivered in reasonable time and was of good quality. The staff were also very attentive. My only minor criticism was that I had to wait a little while to be served at the bar, but I would certainly use this pub again. There are also lovely views over the river to enjoy while you have your meal.