“Art”
Review of Ferens Art Gallery

Ferens Art Gallery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: THE FERENS ART GALLERY IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR MAJOR REFURBISHMENT AND WILL REOPEN EARLY 2017. Opened in 1927, the award winning Ferens Art Gallery combines internationally renowned permanent collections with a thriving programme of temporary exhibitions. We also run a lively education and events programme that includes tours, talks and art workshops. The gallery's first-class permanent collection of paintings and sculpture spans the medieval period to the present day. These include European Old Masters, particularly Dutch and Flemish, portraiture, marine paintings, modern and contemporary British art, including video. Highlights include masterpieces by Frans Hals, Antonio Canaletto, Stanley Spencer, David Hockney, Helen Chadwick and Gillian Wearing.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Grimsby, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Art”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I enjoyed looking round the exhibitions in the gallery, then rounding off with an enjoyable cappachino at the end, well worth looking at the different art pictures and sculptures

Visited September 2012

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“A gem in the centre of Hull.”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

There was some Andy Warhol stuff being shown and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with this guy, I'm not an artist and can hardly draw myself but Warhol was synonymous with the 60's thing, which is what I like. I'm missing something as I didn't understand what all the fuss was about when I saw his stuff when all around this gallery were paintings of such awesome beauty that its hard to imagine why this guy is so revered.

Ferens Art Gallery, and like anyone in their local environment, it is something you never bother with and never have, taken for granted so to speak. I have looked around the place before but I can hardly be an art critic when I can't even draw. Even so, I am older now and find the peace of the place to my liking, like libraries, but I am also more attuned to the pictures on show and some really are superb.

On this particular day, a Saturday, along with Warhol there were young children being encouraged to be creative a kind of young kids art school. A busy area of a quiet art gallery but all the children seemed to be enjoying it enormously. One plus with the Warhol theme was a nostalgic look back at Hull in the 1960's and a repeating video of Hull musicians from that era and their memories of the stars of the day, Beatles, Stones etc, now this was to my liking. There were artefacts, like ticket stubs to concerts in Hull, An Evening With David Bowie £1.30, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, all at prices that today would hardly get you a drink in the pub.

A 3 wheeled BMW car, mini skirts, and LP covers from various groups, and photographs from Hull of the years gone by, all great stuff to me and what's more, free. But then so this gallery is and what is on offer in it, a variety of paintings, some huge, one in particular of lions so real it looks as though they are behind a glass screen. The place is split into rooms, or galleries, and each room depicts paintings from a particular era or artist, about a dozen galleries in all.

The décor is splendid and befitting the use of the building, as I say I can't say I'm a regular visitor so I don't know if the paintings on show when I went will be the same ones year in year out. But I fail to see how anyone who makes a casual visit cannot be pleased that they spent an hour or so looking around. There is a cafe, La Loggia, I didn't go in so cannot comment on the fare on offer but its seemed busy.

I spent 2hrs or so and enjoyed every minute with what was on offer that day, especially the Hull in a bygone era, but there are different theme's at different times. Ferens, along with some other museums in Hull is worth a casual hour of your time whether you are visitor to that area or local. I'm sorry I haven't written more about the paintings and their artists, but there is plentiful information available alongside the paintings themselves.

There is a shop, and for assistance there is a reception desk as soon as you walk in the front door, like libraries quiet is observed but there are children walking round but unless your feeling in a particular grumpy mood they are no hindrance to the quiet. As a final piece of course I urge the out of town visitor to visit if they can but I also urge locals, artistically inclined or not just to visit to see what is on offer, I think all will be surprised at what's inside.

Visited October 2012
Preston, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“classic art gallery”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

if you visit hull, pay a visit to Ferens. the building is a magnificent piece of hulls history, with some great paintings inside. exhibitions are frequent and have varying themes-currently Warhol(check the local website for more info) they always have a winter exhibition of local artists too. there's a lovely cafe, that is peaceful even tho its in the city centre(i am not sure if its open Sundays) and entry is free to Ferens, as are all the museums in hull. all are worth taking the time to visit to understand hulls history and heritage.

Visited October 2012
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“worth a visit”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This art gallery is in the middle of Hull town and well worth a visit. There are paintings of all styles from various artists,something for everyone. The entry is free and well worth a visit.

Visited November 2011
Retford, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A showcase of fine Art”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Like most museums in Hull, free entry. We walked through excellent displays of fine Art from different artists and styles, including Andy Warhol. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited August 2012