“Fantastic Location' Lovely Hotel”

Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great room, very clean, friendly staff, great location. Have stayed here 5 times. Restaurant and food very good, safe parking. Highly recommended for weekend break, close to town centre and harbour.very quiet even though its close to a main road.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ELH1803
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel

Reviewed December 7, 2012

this was a last minute booking and the hotel passed my expectations its modern and clean with air- con and great views down the humber estuary.better value than holiday inn on the marina although not quite such a good location,ideal for the deep though.free parking on site and quick check-in .would recommend for people who want a good value clean and modern hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mikey66woo
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here in late November 2012 for three nights with my wife, attending a family wedding.
Usually go with ICH group, but chose here instead for two reasons. Firstly, our usual venue of the Holiday Inn at the Marina was £400 for 3 nights and this place was £117 - bargain! Secondly, well, probably the reason you're reading this: At present, this is the number 1 Hull Hotel on Trip Advisor!! Surely that must be worth checking out.

We arrived very late on a Sunday night after an 8 hour drive - no problems finding the place, you can't go wrong - same turn-off as "The Deep" aquarium (brown background tourist attraction sign).

Parking is a tale of two halves - the indoor ground floor and part of the 1st floor multi-storey car park are open to residents, free as well..... Though only around 30 spaces. Not exactly sure why the remaining five and a half floors are completely closed off; presumably because Premier Inn have not yet found a car park operator to take on the lease. Be warned if you have a very large car - the spaces in here are pretty small.

If you don't get a space inside, which is highly likely after around 5-6pm, there is an open-air car park outside, also free and barrier-protected. We managed to get indoors twice but were forced outside on our remaining evening. Not really a big deal - both are very handy.

As many other reviewers will tell you, reception / bar / restaurant are on floor 7 and accommodation is floors 7-12. Cracking views over Hull - if you want to see it.

Beware - there being only two lifts, as many have said. How this was allowed in a building only completed in 2009 with so much accommodation is beyond belief - I really do pity anyone who is staying here when only one lift is working. Even with both lifts working, we commonly had to wait over 2 minutes for a lift to arrive - and up to 5 minutes at really busy times.
The problem comes with having the bar & restaurant on floor 7 - well over half the people using the lifts after 7pm are doing so to get between the bar & the ground floor for a smoke. Reformed ex-smokers who don't like the lingering odour of other people's smoking should perhaps use the stairs!

The room itself was superb - excellent king size (5 foot) bed, nice bathroom with good quality Hansgrohe plumbing - excellent water pressure in the shower - top marks. Cleanliness was also in the top 10% of Premier Inns I have experienced.

We did not have breakfast in the restaurant, but we did eat dinner on our last night. Contrary to quite a few other reviewers on here, our meal was excellent. Staff service was also second to none - a problem with my wife's pizza was rectified without quibble - with a new one immediately cooked to replace it. I went for the sirloin steak myself - as a steak aficionado, it really was excellent - and correctly cooked to a perfect medium - best I have ever experienced in a Whitbread eating establishment.

So - our final quirk of the trip, worth a mention.
During our stay, my wife was suffering quite badly from morning sickness - upon arrival in our room, the air conditioning was set to quite a high temperature - it was very stuffy. She just wanted some fresh air, and was surprised to find the window didn't open. I called down to reception and was told that the window could be opened by staff, but once it had been opened, it would have to remain open for the entire 3 days and 3 nights of our stay (i.e. we couldn't ask for it to be closed again during our stay) and also, our "Good Night Guarantee" would not be valid for our entire stay. This obviously came as a bit of a shock, but my wife's sickness is eased by fresh air, so we asked for it to be opened. This was dutifully performed by a very helpful staff member using a utility services box key (the type you can buy in any DIY store for a few pounds) accompanied by a re-iteration of the loss of our "Good Night Guarantee".

I am happy to report that we still had 3 very good nights of sleep, and we could not detect any traffic noise from the busy road outside at any time - even during rush hour - on the 8th floor.

So, my only suggestion would be - it may be worth having a summary statement on the website at the time of booking regarding the window opening policy & loss of "good night guarantee". Any USA-based travellers won't be bothered, as they will be perfectly used to keeping all windows permanently closed and using only the air con to ventilate the room - but for those who like a breath of real fresh air - you have been warned!

All-in-all then: Is it worthy of being the number 1 hotel in the whole of Hull?
I believe it is, yes.
Sadly though, this is more a reflection of the dire state of all available accommodation in Hull rather than the shining excellence of this place.
I'd definitely stay again though - well above average - and easily in the top 10% of all Premier Inns I have stayed in.

Room Tip: If you want to visit "The Deep" - leave your car at the hotel where parking is free - Car...
1  Thank eyemajic
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a hospital appointment in Cottingham at 9am so decided to stay overnight.
Had to wait at reception for a while we arrived about 2.30pm but our room was not ready so sat in bar area. Receptionist seemed very busy, on the phone!
All in all o.k but not nearly as good as other Premiers we have stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingman002
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was not accommodated at the premier inn in Hull however decided to take my family wednesday 28th November out for dinner there as we often looked at the establishment and thought how impressive it looked. I was very disappointed with the service as we had to wait nearly 30 minutes for our order to be taken and it was not particularly busy. Once our order was taken only 2 starters arrived when 3 were ordered, after waiting a further 15 minutes my starter arrived with the waitress stating that it was a good job that the other two were cold starters! When the main course arrived there was a portion of chips missing from my sons kids meal. After we had finished I was asked if we enjoyed our meals and I told the waitress that I was disappointed, upon which she said that she would inform the manager who never came to see me just offered to give us a free drink, which I refused. Not happy at all and would not go back.

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room.
1  Thank David W
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Customer Services and the Management Team at this hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina

Social Media Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I Would just like to thank the staff for my recent stay at the Premier Inn It is very clean very friendly and the food is delicious. The view from the hotel is lovely i coulnt ask for anything more really o apart from i wish i saw the details about the 30 mins free WIFI lol

1  Thank sally b
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed and had dinner in this hotel. It may very well be the best choice in the area - but just had to add a more tempered review to manage people's expectations! The hotel is neither fabulous or superb but is in reality distinctly average. It's amazing if you like waiting an age for an overcooked grey burger with sugary red sauce and spending time in a small, basically furnished room with marked carpets, a small TV with about 6 channels that actually work (others stalled) and fluorescent lighting that hurts your eyes! There is nothing really very wrong with the place, other than it was understaffed when I stayed, but it is just not what it's being cracked up to be on here and expensive for what you do get.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business