“Why haven't I been here before?”

Taman Ria Tropicana
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Taman Ria Tropicana opens onto Princes Avenue in Hull. We have some outdoor seating and indoors there are 3 main restaurant areas. We have an open kitchen so you can see the chef at work, and smell the delicious dishes before they even get to you and we have a well stocked bar which includes many Asian bottled beers. The restaurant is decorated with traditional ornaments and authentic batik, finished off with a few quirks here and there. To the back of the restaurant are the 'Ladies' and 'Gents', including a seperate spacious easy-access toilet suitable for wheelchair users and we have also just received a 5 out of 5 star hygiene rating.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have lived near to this restaurant for over 5 years yet haven't ever ventured in- I have been missing out. The staff greet you in a very friendly way and make you really feel welcome. The food is simply delicious, and they have an excellent taster menu which is really great value for money. I will definitely be visiting again!

tropicanaHull, Manager at Taman Ria Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you Mr.BRMarsh for your vote . We are glad you enjoyed your meal and as you are only very local we look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for your customs. VL

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Went in for an impromptu dinner, on a Tuesday evening, no reservation....no problem!

Really friendly staff showed us to a table by the window and brought us the menu and the Christmas fixed price menu, we chose to order from the fixed menu; 3 courses for less than £15, couldn't pass it up really!

The food was delicious and the staff were among the friendliest I have ever encountered at a restaurant anywhere in the world!

We've written this place of a couple of times based on it's outward appearance, but I would strongly urge anyone, everyone, try this place; the food and service are exceptional for the price....fresh ingredients, cooked expertly and served with a smile

tropicanaHull, Manager at Taman Ria Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for your vote Mr. G.Andy Hull UK , your support is very much appreciated. Thank you for your customs. Cheers. VL

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have been coming here for a couple of years since discovering it on the way back from a football match. It is now easily our favourite restaurant, our kid's favourite restaurant and the restaurant any visitors we have ask to be taken back to.
All of the food is excellent, we especially like the mixed starters and any of the prawn starters. Vince told me that he gets his prawns from a local supplier, I don't believe him, I've eaten prawns on the beach in Thailand that didn't taste as good.
I usually go for the Nasi Campur trio of dishes, that much choice is too much for the wifey to cope with so she plumps for a normal sized main. We have never had anything less than excellent. We have just returned from holiday in Singapore/Malaysia and did not eat better food.
The staff deserve special mention, they are always courteous and friendly and a real asset to the restaurant. Some people have referred to the decor, well I am happy that Vince is a chef and not an interior designer.
There have been times when we have waited a while for our food, I think this is when Vince is cooking single handed, I get the impression that he sets very high standards.
In short, this is a great restaurant, go there when you feel that the world is becoming dreary,
dull and over-rated, faith will be restored.

tropicanaHull, Manager at Taman Ria Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you Mr. John S for your support. I am very flattered but honoured by your your commendations about my cooking. A lovely couple , Mr & Mrs Dearson who are regular customers for years ,after returning from Malaysia/ Singapore once said, " Malaysia needs you!" . To me these are comments, like yours, that keeps me going especially when the going gets tough. I thank you very much from the bottom of my heart. Cheers. VL

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We arrived early, just after opening looking to have a meal before going to the cinema. We were the first customers but people slowly started to join us. We order a starter to share and it was very nice, hot and tasty. We then selected the option to mix and match 3 main dishes. They were all very enjoyable, an excellent way to try something new. We both enjoyed all our choices. My only criticism would be that my plate with the rice on was cold on arrival. So whilst the dishes were wonderfully hot on arrival, they cooled quickly when transferred to my plate. A hot plate, with salad on a separate side plate would have made the experience fantastic. We'll be back again soon to try some more wonderful dishes.

tropicanaHull, Manager at Taman Ria Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your vote. We always warmed our plates and dishes up before serving . In this instant the waitress must have not realised the plates are hot enough. My apologies. Thanks for the recommendations. VL

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I went for early dinner on a Thursday evening, like 5.45
We were the only costumers, so the service was fast and good.
The restaurant looks nicer from the inside than from the ouside
We both got the 2 course for £10 deal.
Starter (soup noodle & satay chicken) both great, I love the soup noodle (I am from Taiwan, and it reminds me of my childhood food)
Main (curry and some form of fry rice) : My boyfriend really enjoyed his curry. My fry rice was a bit too salty for me (keep in mind I normally eat pretty healthy and cook with no salt)
All food are in good portion

Over all:
I will return to the restaurant to try out other dishes

JanikLee, Owner at Taman Ria Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw our food! We're so glad you enjoyed it and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Juvina