“Good value”
Review of Old Grey Mare

Old Grey Mare
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I chose this for convenience to the uni (which cannot be faulted) and was pleasantly surprised. The staff are lovely, the rooms are clean and have everything you need. It was quiet - but out of term! Food is exactly as you would expect (I didn't try breakfast). Parking easy and they let me leave the car all day!

• Stayed: June 2013
There are newer reviews for Old Grey Mare

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at the old Gray mare hotel for 5 nights during a work trip. I am on day 2 and I have not slept well. When I first checked in I was given room 3 which is right next to the giant exhaust system for the kitchen. As soon as I walked in the the hum of the machine was quite noticeable. So I immediately went downstairs to the reception and found the manager (Scott) again who tried to accommodate me and found me an alternate room which was room 14. Well away from the generator and right above the main entrance to the pub and about 30 yards away from the main road! In short from the frying pan into the fire! Combined with poor quality beds (think of the kind of mattresses you would find in a hostel) noise of traffic and the occasional excited patron of the pub the biggest casualty thus far has been the very poor quality of sleep. I think if you get one of the rooms facing the rear car park, then you might get a bit of peace and quiet. Cleanliness is average and I am not talking about tired carpets and fittings, but poor efforts at vacuuming and as a result, there was dirt around the carpet. There was definitely evidence of a 'couldn't give a rats' by the cleaning crew. I still have another 3 nights....oh boy.

The food at pub is very cheap and the quality is reasonable. The steaks are good. The best bit of this place is the ability to just cross the road to university of Hull, which is where I needed to be. I booked through late rooms.com and paid just £32.50 per night for a double room. Car park is adequate. The pub is not as loud as some of the other pubs, it's mostly the unending traffic (it's 23:00 now) which has shown no sign of dissipating. There was 2 extra pillows in the rooms and plenty of teas and coffees.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms in front of the hotel. I was in room 14.. Also a avoid room 2 and 3 right nex...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We met our daughter who is studying at the University opposite for lunch, my expectation wasn't very high but was certainly not disappointed I had the brunch which was £6.99 and it was very good would recommend this pub to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked a family room over the phone 3-4wks prior to our stay (speaking to hotel manager) for £45, I was advised the family room i booked was 2 double beds but when we got in the room it was 1 huge bed and a sofa that was after hotel receptionist had a problem trying to find our booking. Luckily enough the bed was big enough for myself my partner and my 7 and 9 year old to squash in which didn't help with the nights sleep we had. The room was very clean and shower was very good. There was a step into bathroom which was very dangerous as it raised up and there were no warning signs of this. Overall I would stay in hotel again but without my children as it was a bit of a squash in bed. We need to find a hotel to stay in hull every 2 weekends and it would be great just 2 of us but id have to look elsewhere when children are coming. The price attracted me as a bargain for a family room. It was better room than staying in travel lodge or premier inn for same prices.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I have never been to the Old Grey Mare until earlier in the year, and I have been missing out!

I have to admit the steaks have been the best I've ever tried, albeit expensive, but it was worth every penny.

The new menu is fantastic, and the staff have been a pleasure on every visit.

The only complaint I have is about the location, which for someone based in the town centre, it's very difficult to go to.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone, and I cannot wait until my next visit!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Sam P
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I would never usually stay in a 2* but the reviews here convinced me and i'm very glad they did.
Email contact was utterly useless but everything from the phone call service, through check in showed really excellent customer service, flexibility and helpfulness.
At £40 per night for a large double it was great value and i would recommend and go back again. Much better service and facilities than in travellodge/other budget places.

We apparently had a large room - it wasn't - it was a good size for us but not large. Space wise - the bed was double only and you could walk around it. The room was very clean, comfortable with extra pillows and towels and the usual tea&coffee.
The heating was on regularly and if anything the room got too warm (it was the middle of a snowy winter) but all windows opened and the radiator was controllable - could be turned down so no issue at all.
The following bad points wouldn't stop us going back,
The 'for show' cushions on the bed showed marks - and needed a clean.
The kettle was swimming with lose limescale that i had to clean our before I could use it.
There was no 'do not disturb' sign and housekeeping came in 2x one morning. (till we made our own sign!)
The noise from the downstairs bar was very loud and easily heard in the room, every crying baby during the day and every word when they had music on at night. However this didn't start till lunch and stops promptly at midnight so didn't cause us any issues.
Other than the housekeeping interuptions the staff service from booking to checkout was 2nd to none - they have some great staff for sure.

Room Tip: Be aware that 'family' rooms - can mean a seperate room (adjoining) for your child and not a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As a student The Old Grey Mare is the most convienient place to grab a bite to eat on sundays when the university shops are closed - It's a shame the kitchen staff don't seem to take pride in what they prepare, tongiht the chips were refried, and the onion rings soggy, and the wait time is frequently above 20 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo