“Abolsutely Fantastic Photography Day”

The Big Cat Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Smarden
More attraction details
Owner description: The Big Cat Sanctuary The Big Cat Sanctuary is a conservation charity, home to over 50 big and small cats across 16 different species. We are proud to have the most diverse collection in the UK, from the largest, to the smallest, to the most endangered in the world, hidden away in the Kent countryside. We are a centre of excellence whose primary objective is the breeding of some of the most endangered species on the planet as well as offering sanctuary to retired and homeless cats. The breeding centre is proud to be part of the EEP (European Endangered Species Breeding Programme). This is a body that regulates the captive breeding of endangered cats by making recommendations for breeding to produce a strong, healthy and diverse gene-pool within the captive population to ultimately be reintroduced safely into their natural habitat to mix with their counterparts in the wild. Breeding success so far includes the Amur leopard programme which is the world’s most endangered big cat, estimated between 70-80 remaining in the wild globally, also to the Sumatran tigers, Amur tigers and Pallas cats. Big Cat Sanctuary operates by way of personal big cat experiences including big cat tours, individual and group photography days, overnight big cat safari nights and adoptions. All of which need to be pre-booked in advance of a visit. The centre takes pride in delivering fully immersive, personal and amazing experiences that will leave any big cat lover with memories to treasure forever.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Amazing photography day at WHF. The setup is very professional and the facilities top notch. The camera coaching from Andy was great & I learned lots about my camera - beginners need not be worried at all. I did not feel at all intimidated being a novice with my bridge camera. Most of all - the cats were just amazing. Being able to get so close to them and being able to see just how wild and powerful these cats are was just awe-inspiring. I got some photos that I am really proud of as well. The day was a present from my wife, but to be honest for the amount of time you get in the park, the camera tuition & most importantly the experience of being so close to the cats is more than worth the money. The fact that the money goes to help these wonderful animals just makes it even better. I thoroughly recommend the WHF experience days to anyone who loves big cats... or little ones come to that ! :O)

1  Thank Mark A
in 20 reviews
"overnight stay"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I bought this experience as a gift for my husband's birthday & I paid the extra to go along as a guest. What an absolutely fantastic experience this day is. The staff were extremely enthusiastic & keen to help us non-photographers get the very best out of the day. As a guest I wasn't allowed to take photos as close up as the others but I still got some great shots & to be so close to the cats was superb. The guides were very informative & obviously loved what they were doing & were passionate about the cats. The photos my husband managed to get thanks to Andy's tuition are absolutely gorgeous. It was really an incredible experience. They were plenty of refreshments & lunch was lovely, the home-made cake was purr-fect! Thanks to all the staff for making this a wonderful birthday present for my husband & a superb day for me too.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

WHF is a must visit for any keen wildlife photographer be you amateur or professional. With the guidance of Andy, the resident photographer, you will take the kind of photos that you could only dream of. Visited with my girlfriend, who came as a spectator, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish. Would highly recommend worth every penny.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We were here for my birthday weekend on March 15 and it really was amazing to get up close to the big cats
Tigers in particular being my passion and we were able to hand feed a gorgeous tiger called Pang
The tour was informative and although the park was muddy from recent rainfall and there's still a lot of expansion work going on you couldn't let that spoil your time here
Our experience included afternoon tea and paid through a Groupon deal was £100 each
Regular price is £200 each and thus experience lasts around three hours and was in a group of fourteen as much as I enjoyed it there is no way I would pay the full price or recommend it to anyone at that price in fact I feel all there experiences are very iver priced
The head keeper was explaining to us that the onsite lodge accommodation wasn't proving as popular as they had hoped at £800 a night for two people even though it included breakfast dinner and a tour isn't it plain to see why it isn't selling ?
You could have a week in Turkey for that price
So yes we loved it but your prices are going to be your downfall

6  Thank Traceylynam