“Ranger for a day ”

The Big Cat Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Smarden
More attraction details
Owner description: The Big Cat Sanctuary The Big Cat Sanctuary is a conservation charity, home to over 50 big and small cats across 16 different species. We are proud to have the most diverse collection in the UK, from the largest, to the smallest, to the most endangered in the world, hidden away in the Kent countryside. We are a centre of excellence whose primary objective is the breeding of some of the most endangered species on the planet as well as offering sanctuary to retired and homeless cats. The breeding centre is proud to be part of the EEP (European Endangered Species Breeding Programme). This is a body that regulates the captive breeding of endangered cats by making recommendations for breeding to produce a strong, healthy and diverse gene-pool within the captive population to ultimately be reintroduced safely into their natural habitat to mix with their counterparts in the wild. Breeding success so far includes the Amur leopard programme which is the world’s most endangered big cat, estimated between 70-80 remaining in the wild globally, also to the Sumatran tigers, Amur tigers and Pallas cats. Big Cat Sanctuary operates by way of personal big cat experiences including big cat tours, individual and group photography days, overnight big cat safari nights and adoptions. All of which need to be pre-booked in advance of a visit. The centre takes pride in delivering fully immersive, personal and amazing experiences that will leave any big cat lover with memories to treasure forever.
4 attraction reviews
“Ranger for a day ”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Excellent ranger day, fantastic seeing all the different big cats, feeding them, mucking them out. Lovely staff, very informative knowledge from beccy. An amazing experience that you would want to do over and over again :)

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Day”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My mother never knowing what to get as a birthday present was persuaded that this was the thing for me, I had a truly wonderful day with Briony, the work they do here is marvellous and I wish them all success with their breeding programme.The ranger day is a super opportunity to see how the cats are cared for in a quiet and beautiful setting. I got to hand feed Pan an awesome tiger, and in this instance the word awesome is appropriate. My only regret is that I was so engrossed with the whole experience I took very few photos so that is a really good excuse to go again and again

Visited March 2014
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WHF Best Big Cat Photography In UK”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have attended the Wildlife Heritage Foundation on several occasions on photography days and cannot recommend it enough , it gets better everytime . Andy Porter knows his stuff and will make sure you get good results , if you like big cats and photography this is for you .

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Duncan B
Kent, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fab day”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

When we visited in January 2014, we had a fabulous day with expert, individual photography tuition.We now have some amazing photos of the variety of cats there.The cats were stunning and appeared content and well cared for in their environment. We would happily visit again.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank HMBarley
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“One on one photography day”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

As a relative beginner to photography I thought this would be a good way of learning about it in a live setting. What I didn't realise was that this is so much more than just a photography day. I got up very close and personal with some of the animals which was just amazing, but what really made the day was Andy's enthusiasm and knowledge of both the photographic part and the animals themselves.
If I could give this 10 stars then I would.

Visited February 2014