“Brilliant day!”

The Big Cat Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Smarden
More attraction details
Owner description: The Big Cat Sanctuary The Big Cat Sanctuary is a conservation charity, home to over 50 big and small cats across 16 different species. We are proud to have the most diverse collection in the UK, from the largest, to the smallest, to the most endangered in the world, hidden away in the Kent countryside. We are a centre of excellence whose primary objective is the breeding of some of the most endangered species on the planet as well as offering sanctuary to retired and homeless cats. The breeding centre is proud to be part of the EEP (European Endangered Species Breeding Programme). This is a body that regulates the captive breeding of endangered cats by making recommendations for breeding to produce a strong, healthy and diverse gene-pool within the captive population to ultimately be reintroduced safely into their natural habitat to mix with their counterparts in the wild. Breeding success so far includes the Amur leopard programme which is the world’s most endangered big cat, estimated between 70-80 remaining in the wild globally, also to the Sumatran tigers, Amur tigers and Pallas cats. Big Cat Sanctuary operates by way of personal big cat experiences including big cat tours, individual and group photography days, overnight big cat safari nights and adoptions. All of which need to be pre-booked in advance of a visit. The centre takes pride in delivering fully immersive, personal and amazing experiences that will leave any big cat lover with memories to treasure forever.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I arrived not really knowing what to expect. Andy greeted me and after a short talk we ventured out to see the cats.
Andy is not only a photographer but he also knows a great deal about the cats and how to get the best pictures, how many zoos can offer that?
Despite the weather doing its worst I had a fantastic day and the pictures are testament to this!
I will definitely be going back next year.
This is a unique opportunity to get up close and take some fantastic pictures.
Big thanks to Andy for making it perfect.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have been thinking of going to WHF for nearly year and at last made it on 23rd Nov. It was supposed to be a group workshop but luckily there were only 2 (including myself). Andy explained various camera settings useful for wildlife photography. He also explained about each and every animal.

There was no rush. We were allowed to take picts as long as we want. All the staffs, volunteers who worked there was very helpful and passionate about their work. Andy took time to spend with each of us in turns and make sure we got some nice shots. He knows how the each animal reacts. Thanks a lot Andy. I got few more wildlife shots in my portfolio now.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The most beautiful creatures reside here in well kept conditions. The staff are some of the most dedicated people we have encountered. Take every opportunity to visit , miss it and you have lost a chance to be enchanted

2  Thank DDKCD
Reviewed November 15, 2013

It was a real privilege to be so close to these fantastic cats. Really interesting hearing about where they had come from, where they would be going and that they may be contributing to the survival of the species. Absolutely loved it. What characters. Feeding the leopards and sharing family time with the white lions was amazing.

2  Thank Diane P
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife, daughter and I recently attended a photographic workshop, just for the three of us with Andy Porter at WHF. I am an amatuer photographer, my daughter has a keen interest but is just starting out and my wife likes to point and shoot with her i-Phone! Andy's instruction and camera set-up assistance during the day for the three different cameras and knowledge levels was just perfect. The level of personal attention, pace and access to avoid enclosure bars was just amazing. We were even able to go in to the enclosure with the Servals and one of the Cheetas. We visit WHF regularly as we have adopted one of the cats and will definately go back for another personal photography workshop. It isn't really possible to explain what a fantastic day this is in a short review. The venue and the team at WHF are outstanding and I cannot recommend this highly enough.