“Great British Pub and excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Chequers Inn

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Smarden
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Beautiful olde worlde pub in the heart of the Kent countryside. Large beer garden and child's playground for the summer. Cosy log fires, low beamed ceilings and chestnuts for you to roast in winter. Cold beer, hot food and a warm welcome awaits. Excellent pub grub and value for money. Open all day, every day. Food served every day 11am till 9pm. Check out our Monday madness £4.50 all day menu. Two lunches for a tenner tues, wed and thurs 11 till 2.30pm
Tenterden, United Kingdom
“Great British Pub and excellent food!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I met up with a mate I hadn't seen in years who happened to be staying at the Chequers Inn last night and we had a great evening! The pub is set in a beautiful Kentish village, and is I believe circa 14 th century so it's packed with old worldly charm! It's everything really that you'd expect a proper village pub to be. It was evident it had plenty of locals who were there or dropped in whilst we were there and the place had a nice friendly vibe. The staff were very warm and welcoming. The beers well kept. The wine was reasonably priced and well selected by the owners.

We didn't have time for a proper meal but did order two of the pubs home made warm soft scotch eggs, which were delicious! Crisp on the outside, with well seasoned pork meat surrounding an egg which when served was soft and runny in the middle. The whole dish worked beautifully and is certainly something I would go back for! The kitchen took on board my allergy issues and insured that what I had did not cause me any problems which again gave me the confidence to enjoy what I ate and definitely will see me going back there again!

There was a couple of people in the bar who were obviously staying (they have rooms which they rent out) and it is clear from what they said that they were thoroughly enjoying their stay there. I would definitely recommend it as a pub, but also based on what I had to eat and saw served to the other guests somewhere to have lunch or dinner, and based on what their staying guests had to say I think if someone was looking for somewhere with character and charm to stay down here in Kent then this is got to be worth checking out.

West Sussex
“Excellent Lunch”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Popped in here on a Monday in June. We were the only ones in the bar! Food a little slow in coming but worth the wait. Burger cooked just right with excellent chips and an interesting salad.
Great Gallery next door to visit too.

Sutton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food. Highly recommended!”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We visited on Father's Day and in spite of it being a very busy lunchtime, the food was outstanding. Everyone in our party raved about the roast, and the steak and kidney pudding are still being talked about! The staff were friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them, including providing a small portion of food for our 18 month granddaughter. In addition to our visit on Father's Day, we returned on 3 other occasions as we were staying in the area and had excellent food each time in the bar. I thoroughly recommend a visit. We will most certainly return.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere, but slow service and a bit pretentious”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stopped here last weekend whilst on a long bike ride with a few mates.

It has a lovely beer garden with a picturesque pond (complete with duck house!) and a very friendly Black cat.

Pub itself was very busy for Father's Day and atmosphere was warm and welcoming, unfortunately this didn't extend to the food menu which was trying a bit too hard to be gourmet when it was more wetherspoons. Chips were cold and took 40 minutes to appear, by which time we wanted to leave.

Good ale and beers but also quite pricey, decent tea too, friendly enough staff, but slow service. Worth a visit if you're local, but am sure it's busy for a Sunday roast.

Sussex
“Leisurely service”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited as a party of 12 for a Sunday lunch. Service leisurely despite few other diners. Roast Menu selection a bit restricted with beef available but no chicken or lamb. Beef was tasty Shen it arrived. Desert service was slow and refill drinks needed to be chased up. Maybe it was a day with reduced staff numbers which slowed things down. If not be prepared for a wait.

1 Thank SussexMark