“Enjoyable Evening”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We booked via a Travelzoo offer and took my cousin and his wife for a meal to celebrate his birthday a few weeks ago. We had read some poor reviews, but hoped it would be okay as it was a special celebration. I am pleased to say that we had a super meal and were very impressed with the food and the hospitality. My fishcake starter was delicious and all our steaks were cooked to perfection. The staff were attentive and friendly and we had a super evening!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

The steak was cooked to perfection. It was a lovely cut of meat treated with respect. Although the service was a little slow, we weren't in any hurry to rush off. I've shopped around for a good steak and nothing has come to this standard. The chef knows how to pair flavours beautifully. Loved the poached pear with the star anise ice cream. Yumbo. Thank you Tristan for cooking up such a lovely midweek meal for us! We'll be back for the steak.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

On arrival for our prebooked dinner for two on the above voucher it took us a good five minutes to raise service at the bar as it appeared Sam was watching the football, even though they had seen us drive in and there was lots of conversation going on in the kitchen.
Menus taken out into the Beer Garden which along with the setting were probably the only positives about this experience. One veggie option on the poorly printed menu ( ink obviously running out on the printer!). My partner who is veggie but does eat fish ended up having to have a ploughmans as his main meal - with which two slices of bread were produced with the dried up peices of Stilton and Cheddar on offer . Looked like they were resurrected from the lunch service.My food tasted ok but certainly was not commercial quality - I could have done better at home. 2 further times I went to the bar and had to shout to get service for drinks - football obviously wasnt finished!!! . Pub was not busy and there were 2 other covers in the whole place. Really disappointing as it was present and I cant tell the giver of the present but definitly wont be going back or be recommending the place.Shame as it has a great setting - just needs staff more interested in customer service than football! We didnt even bother to have a dessert which was paid for on the voucher!

2  Thank Robert V
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We turn up with our Travel Zoo voucher only to be told by a very helpful barmaid that the pub had run out of draught beer and lager! She informed us they had a busy weekend, this was Wednesday!!

The pub itself along with the outside furniture had a tired and untidy look about it.

The staff whilst enthusiastic clearly lacked experience as evidenced when I asked for a Merlot, which surprise, surprise was out if stock. They asked if this was this white or red wine.

The food was served very smoothly and generally was of good quality. We could have done with sharper knives to cut the steak but that was minor compared to other issues.

I am afraid we will not be going back as the first thing you expect to find in a pub is beer.

3  Thank Holidayjustice
Reviewed July 26, 2014

The Smarden Bell is a beautiful country pub in the heart of the Kent countryside BUT that is the best things i can say about the experience. The food was not good. The staff were inexperienced and over run with the exception of a young lady who was trying to be everything to everybody. presentation was poor. I am sorry to say i would never visit again.

2  Thank Linneyloolar