“New favourite pub”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Ate Sunday lunch here. The quality of ingredients was very good. The quality of the cooking was also very good; my wife described her salad starter as "spring on a plate" which is about the highest praise she could have given. Mother-in-law's mussels were fresh and lovely, and the child and I shared top class scotch egg and a pork pie, of which dishes I am something of a connoisseur.

The only two negatives I can think of were that my beef was a little bit unevenly cooked - some of it was nicely medium but a little bit over done - though compared to most pub roasts it was very much towards the excellent end of the scale. The yorkshire was maybe very, very slightly on the oily side.The veg were awesome; the carrots in particular were gorgeous. And the potatoes, which are often the weak point of a pub roast, were bang on.

The service was impeccable. Really, really good. Quick and very friendly. And then someone on the next table started choking, and a member of staff came running over to (successfully, thankfully) perform the Heimlich. Life saved, minimal fuss, bish bosh.

We asked for a doggy bag for the remnants of our son's plate, and they gave us tupperware to take it home in.

We also loved the ambience of the place, wood everywhere. All pubs should have wood everywhere. Really nicely done, and there's a nice little snug/cave if you're with a decently sized group.

There are a lot of very good pubs round here that we've been to but actually, if I was going out for a roast this weekend, or even just a pint and somewhere to read the paper, I'd choose the Mount Edgcumbe. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not at the bottom of my road.

2  Thank pswnio

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had been meaning to try the restaurant for ages, and decided to go after a few good recommendations from friends and the Pantiles food festival, where the team were very enthusiastic and welcoming.

We had to eat earlier than we wanted, but I thought that was a good sign that they were busy. On arrival we were greeted from the bar, but as I spoke to advise that we'd booked etc, the barman turned to talk to a colleague, while I was speaking. My husband and I raised an eyebrow at each other, but were then shown to our table, in a fairly empty restaurant, so perhaps we could have had our preferred time.

The service was good once we were seated - attentive without being overbearing, but the food was very disappointing - underseasoned and bland. I had asparagus with poached egg and Hollandaise. The sauce was watery, not unctuous and rich, and totally lacking in flavour. I had duck, my husband had pork belly - both dishes were fine. The duck was tender, but again, no depth of flavour at all. My husband is usually a sucker for a pudding but didn't feel it would be worth it. I gamely decided to try the white chocolate cheesecake. What appeared however was a ball of almost frozen something, perhaps clotted cream, but which tasted extraordinarily of nothing, and sitting on a bed of about 3 biscuit crumbs.
We didn't stay for coffee. I am genuinely disappointed not to have enjoyed this more. If the food ever becomes as tasty as the good service, then we'd go back.

1  Thank AnnHW
TheMountEdgcumbe, General Manager at The Mount Edgcumbe, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a response about The Mount Edgcumbe. We really appreciate feedback in all forms.
I am disappointed to hear your visit on this occasion was not to your liking. I have of course fed back all your comments regarding the menu to my Head Chef. We have now removed all the items you have mentioned and revisited the cheesecake with a different recipe.
We wish all our customers to be met with a smile and given their full attention even when busy, I must apologise for this and can assure you this has been addressed.
Please can i request an email address for you so i can resolve the issues with you directly.

With kind regards

Caroline

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visited for lunch on a sunny day. Quite busy, tables were a bit messy with the bits left from other diners. Food was ok but I wouldn't rush back.

I was disappointed to hear your visit didn't meet your expectations. I have noted your comments and passed them onto the chef and restaurant team.

We have now updated our menu for June and hope you will return to give us another try before you rule us out completely.

With kind regards

Caroline

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went here for an evening meal one Sunday in May - to find the place had been so busy it was almost out of food. However the staff did their very best for us, coming up with Ploughman's Sandwiches with roast potatoes. We'll go there again if we get the chance, for the wooded setting was relaxing and the menu attractive.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

A great place, whether for the family or just adults. We had Sunday lunch today for 7, 4 adults, 3 children, and one of our party has serious dietary requirements. No problem at all. Great choices on the menu, very well prepared food with locally sourced ingredients and great waitressing staff and atmosphere. They were really very friendly and helpful, they were efficient and the meal was delicious.

My only regret was that we didn't have time in the afternoon to explore the area on foot after lunch: it looked very nice. We will definitely return in the summer and eat outside, and then go for a walk

A great place - highly recommended!

1  Thank RoadWarrior298