“this is the standard”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Tonbridge Station, Tunbridge Wells Station
Reviewed November 10, 2013

this is the standard other restuarants should strive too achieve from the minute we walked in the door we were treated like individuals with our particular requirements catered for we were 4 adults with ababy and we were escorted upstairs to our table with achoice of couch or high chair for baby g food was superb venison was the best roast beef was just as good great prices super service and staff 5stars

There are newer reviews for George & Dragon Inn

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My very best place to go in Tunbridge Wells. The staff, food and atmosphere is fantastic. The Manager is very knowledgeable with regards to food and wine, and he made us feel very welcome. We sat by the crackling fire on a cold day there is nothing better than being here.

Please please make sure you visit.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visit on sat 19th October. Special birthday treat lunch! Having done research in the area and decided to visit here was not disappointed. Very atmospheric and historic inside. Had Hereford steak, salmon nicoise and pork sausages which were very good but expensive (also 12.5% service charge added). One note of concern-a gentleman, who seemed to be in charge, went round asking tables if all was ok. If he is going to do that then some tables should not be excluded like ours was! Very obvious and not giving the right impression of fairness & equality!!!!!

1  Thank shahsampler
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The coffee is good but too expensive at £2.50 for a very small cup. (No biscuit or other extra as some pricey pubs provide.)

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Judging by some of the mixed reviews I think we must have hit the jackpot last night (a very busy saturday night).Once again me and MrsR had to trapse halfway across the the kent countryside to escape the mediocrity of of our local hostelries - and headed towards a pub we had visited nearly 10 years ago,why so long you may ask, like the previous reviewer we were seated upstairs in the belfry on a wintery january evening and nearly froze to death ,and had service and food to match. so we never went back -a lesson to be learnt by all landlords and restaurateurs. so why go back now, well I have a check list of things I have to ask pubs when I book a table,and after phoning half a dozen pubs in kent and sussex that I liked the look of,the George and Dragon ticked all 3 - disabled access, disabled toilet, and dogs allowed, and the man I spoke to on the phone was very jolly and accommodating,so far so good.
Be patient - I'm getting to the grub, now the menu might not be to everyones liking especially if you are a strict vegetarian, I will eat fish and crustacean, but I am very very fussy about freshness and presentation, and I was not disappointed with the mackerel pate starter,the only criticism was the mean portion of toast,not enough for the 3 generous Quenelles of tasty pate. My main course was another triumph - fillet of seabass with mussels and samphire ,I love samphire, and I think a good indication of the level of cooking going on in the kitchen,the plump mussels were delicious, and the seabass cooked to perfection.
This was a family outing of 7 and as I mentioned before there was only 1 vegetarian option, a very tasty pea and broad bean risotto,which I had the chance to polish off,and wiped my finger round the plate,disgusting I know but I couldn't waste it.The rest had meat dishes and I didnt hear any complaints, no dessert for me but they do very good espresso, but I did get a spoon or two of everyones puds, sticky toffee pudding-light and fluffy, creme brulee-creamy with a hint of glazed sugar, The Delice of chocolate, was moussy and coated the tongue just right.
This is a pub in the country, and if you are gun toting - welly wearing - feather spitting - cow eating carnivore- this is probably right up your country lane as there is everything a red blooded man- (or woman) could possibly want....... But I can't really comment being the pale and insipid pescetarian that I am.
I must praise the landlord who I thought was the perfect host and obviously knows his business well, but like some of the previous reviewers i do think they need to look at this service charge business, our bill was £210 which included a £22 tip, now I'm no city banker,I've just got a normal job,like the majority of the population, and thats a lot of money for just putting the food on the table, if I got a tip like that for everytime I did my job I would be able to pay the national debt of a small country. But it is a once in a while treat: But you could be scaring off the local community. I would add a 30 or 40p to each dish and give the tipping option back to the customer.(who is the king) (or Queen).But that said I had to let my belt out a notch,(maybe 2) and was inspired enough to let the Trip advisor followers know about it .
P.S.... I think it is very important that owners ,managers respond to reviews,it makes us feel part of the healing process, and can appease the most beligerent of customers, thats not me (honestly) and get them back rather than losing them forever.
And PPS to trip advisor,why don't you have a tick box for pubs,not all pubs are restaurants and the UK is a land of pubs,and can be misleading for overseas readers.