“Over rated”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: This one-time home of the author of Vanity Fair in spa town Tunbridge Wells is one of the most charming restaurants in England. An enchanting atmosphere pervades two gloriously elegant dining rooms overlooking the green. The food is equally beguiling. Co-proprietor and former head chef at MPW’s Criterion Richard Phillips serves an intelligent, technically-perfect Modern French menu that’s infinitely worth travelling for - you won’t be able to prepare food like this at home.
“Over rated”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Went for tasting menu, was poor choice, small portions unless you like bread, offered that 3 times!
Never got the voucher 2 drinks included. Waiter spilt the wine then tried to clean it up but couldn't get that right.water had a fly in it. Made light of it by saying it was probably looking for the soup!Fell on the deaf ears of the French waiter who was more concerned with his so called knowledge of the wines. Yes those you don't get! Staff either over powering or up themselves. Flatters to deceive

3 Thank Dean B

“Business Lunch”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Invited for a business lunch, food was very good but had to ask a couple of times for a drinks order.
Lots of building work going by a neighbour on and not sure if was told at time of booking.

1 Thank BfastFriends
Thackerays, General Manager at Thackeray's, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
As is often the case with this type of networking event the budget had been pre-agreed not to include beverages. It is unfortunate that this was not made clear to the delegates as I can see how this would reflect negatively on the establishment. Similarly the building works which were taking place at the adjacent property were somewhat beyond our control, whilst every effort is being made to 'work together' there is occasionally an inevitable impact. I am sorry that this marred your experience but you can rest assured that should you return for our standard restaurant offering this would not be the case.
London
“Michellin Star quality and so much improved”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Visited Thackery's last night after a few years of having giving up on the restaurant because of poor service.

The restaurant has got back its London 5 star quality.

What a turn-around. Firstly Gonzalo the new Maître de was courteous and welcoming. We were late (as usual) but that was no problem. We were seen to a smallish table and we asked to move, this was not a problem and we were expedited to a nice table by the window. The cocktails were lovely... Mine a very nice Vodka Martini, which was not too dry but dry enough with a twist and my wife's a fresh rhubarb champagne cocktail... The cocktail man (in a suit) came back to check after serving if they were satisfactory - which was a good touch. I fancied a glass of wine with dinner but the found the selection quite short and disappointing so I stuck with another cocktail.

The food was excellent, we both had scallops with garlic and onions for starters. Scallops can be bland from time to time but these were perfectly cooked, that melted in the mouth along with the garlic purée.

For a main I had the halibut, again with a lot of flavour but perhaps ever so slightly dry, my wife Seabass was divine.

The pre-desert was a deconstructed millionaire shortbread... Really fantastic from the chocolate with tremendous flavour to the soft caramel. We really didn't need our deserts but the lemon seed poppy cake was fabulous with a meringue crisp and sharp lemon sorbet and cream in a cannoli ... Yum... Sunday afternoon tea would be blessed for a cake of such softness and flavour ... And the deconstructed banofie pie in their individual components again were perfectly cooked (especially the salted caramel - so soft and perfectly balanced).. Although de-construction is beginning to wear ... These things are meant to be eaten together - so why do we have to finish the cooking stage for the chef... It was still fantastic though...

We left after a further chat with the Maître de, about Theo Randall's at the Intercontinental (one of my favourite restaurants), where he had worked.

Really lovely and so much improved. Head and shoulders the best restaurant in Tunbridge Wells and possibly could one day get back it's michellin star.

Visited March 2014
Sevenoaks
“Fantastic Experience ! 19th March 2014”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

This was a treat from my Husband as a late Valentines present, and it turned out to be one of the best!!
We had the seven course taster menu, which was served and explained very skilfully, each course was a delight to the senses, and we really can't wait to return.
Our server was wonderful and really added to the experience, especially as he makes the best cocktails I have EVER had ( you have to try the Black Forest Martini!!)
I would recommend this fabulous restaurant to anyone and look forward to returning soon.

“Such a Shame 2”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This was my first visit to Thackeray’s and it will be my last. Both starters and the main course were cold. I ordered the Monkfish for my main choice and bearing in mind that you’re paying nearly £30.00 for this item I would have expected more than 1 ounce of it on my plate. Service was poor. As it came to £75 per head for three courses it was very disappointing.

3 Thank CoulsdonTravels