“Massively let down by the food”

The Barn Pub and Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A character pub restaurant centrally located. Privately owned and operated since 1992.In addition to the excellent food and drink at great value prices, we are proud of our very friendly staff, which combined with the ‘barn’ character setting and decor makes us a special place for a meal in our lovely air conditioned Grill restaurant, or a drink and snack in our air conditioned bar and conservatory.Enjoy a drink or snack in our delightful garden, sunny during the day, heated for those cooler days and beautifully illuminated by night.Our philosophy is "to serve freshly prepared food, using high quality raw materials at unbeatable prices."The restaurant menu has evolved over recent years, taking account of fashion changes and is based on grills and Mediterranean specialities. We have a great reputation for steaks, using only prime 28 day matured British beef.We cater for weddings and have a civil ceremony licence, and private parties.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've drunk at the Barn before on three occasions, every time the staff have been friendly and helpful, and the beer has been good. The atmosphere is good, the setting is attractive and tasteful. I even had good curly fries there before my most recent visit.

However, on my last trip, my wife and I tried the restaurant food. I can't comment on the pub menu, we had the fixed price three course menu (at a reasonable price).

The starters were fine but uninspiring. My calamari was crisp and the sauce was pleasantly spicy, but the squid itself was too rubbery. My wife's pate was good but the relish completely without flavour. Both suffered from that pub food curse of a bland and unseasoned salad on the side that adds absolutely nothing.

My wife had the chicken fajitas for her main course, while the vegetables were nicely cooked, and the sauces pretty standard, the chicken was entirely overcooked, and the whole thing lacked the flavour you'd hope for from a mexican dish. I had the duck, largely on the promise of an interesting flavour combination which turned out to have been entirely misjudged on the chef's part. The potatoes (dauphinoise I think) were cold at the bottom, the courgettes overcooked and bland, and the gravy too bitter and gelatinous. The duck itself was again overcooked.

For dessert, my wife had the ice cream (no complaints there) and I had a rum and raisin bread and butter pudding, which had plenty of raisins, but no discernable rum.

I should add that I made no complaints during the whole meal, because I am thoroughly British, and could only muster a weak "fine" when the staff asked about our mains. Still, it ranks as one of the most disappointing meals out I've had in a long time. The beer and the setting can only compensate so much, and I will certainly carry on drinking at the Barn, just not venturing there for the food. When you consider the array of restaurants with the same friendliness and much better food (I'm thinking specifically of Casa Vecchia, Il Vesuvio, La Fiamma, Il Pulpito and Kitsu here) then it's a wonder that the restaurant part of the Barn does any business at all. Perhaps I should have stuck to pub grub, but if you can't execute something well, don't put it on the menu.

2  Thank Atticus F
PatronHandR, Owner at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

As one of the owners of The Barn I would like to respond to this review.

Firstly I would like to apologise to these customers for the disappointing food served to them on this occasion. Without me wishing to make any excuse the reason why the quality of our food was not up to our normal standard was that in addition to our head chef being on holiday over the past two weeks, our second chef became ill which left us with our two junior chefs on this particular evening.

I am confident that our food is normally of a high standard, as indicated by the many complimentary reviews which we receive, and that this was an exceptional and unfortunate episode for us. We would, therefore, like these guests to return for lunch or dinner with wine with our compliments to compensate for their disappointment on this occasion.

I note from their review that they already intend to return to The Barn for drinks and I do therefore hope that they will give our food another try.

I do hope they will accept this invitation and I would ask them please to contact our manager, Philippe Sorak on 01892 510424 and who would also like to take the opportunity to apologise to them personally as he was not on duty at the time of their visit.

Ron Zanre
Owner

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We visited the restaurant upstairs with friends. Very welcoming staff, the food was lovely, and very reasonable. Attractive old barn. Plenty of free parking in the local car parks only 3 minutes walk away, if you go in the evening.

1  Thank strawberrywhip
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review which is much appreciated.

We do have free parking at The Barn in Lonsdale Gardens, evenings and weekends, which I thought might be helpful for you to know on your next visit to us

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Me and my partner went for a valentines meal at the barn and it was amazing! Neither of us had one complaint, food was 10/10 service was 10/10 all the staff were friendly and efficient and went out their way to make sure we enjoyed the night! 100% we'll be dinning there again! Price was reasonable too!

1  Thank toni11987
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you so much for such a complimentary review and the great high scores that you have given us! I am so pleased you had a fabulous evening and everyone here looks forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We've just got back from an amazing meal at The Barn! I was spoilt with an awesome starter and main! The food is top class and cooked to perfection!
The staff are always friendly and welcoming!
Thank you a beautiful and another wonderful evening!

1  Thank Pauly_Gib

Jon our Head Chef and his kitchen team were delighted to read your review, thank you. It was nice to read that you felt we had 'spoilt' you and we hope to do it again soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a lovely valentines meal, the food was delicious, especially the mushroom and goats cheese starter and the pork on a bed of leeks which was cooked to perfection. The staff, were polite, friendly and helpful. A nice touch with the meal was a complimentary glass of bubbly and chocolates. There was a live guitarist, which added to the already pleasant ambience. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Suzywoo28
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Valentine’s dinner with us at The Barn. The 14th February is obviously such an important occasion for couples dining out and all of us at The Barn work hard to make sure that it is a special evening for our guests.

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post this review

General Manger