“a good experience”

The Barn Pub and Grill Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A character pub restaurant centrally located. Privately owned and operated since 1992.In addition to the excellent food and drink at great value prices, we are proud of our very friendly staff, which combined with the ‘barn’ character setting and decor makes us a special place for a meal in our lovely air conditioned Grill restaurant, or a drink and snack in our air conditioned bar and conservatory.Enjoy a drink or snack in our delightful garden, sunny during the day, heated for those cooler days and beautifully illuminated by night.Our philosophy is "to serve freshly prepared food, using high quality raw materials at unbeatable prices."The restaurant menu has evolved over recent years, taking account of fashion changes and is based on grills and Mediterranean specialities. We have a great reputation for steaks, using only prime 28 day matured British beef.We cater for weddings and have a civil ceremony licence, and private parties.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had a meal and a few drinks with friends on sunday 8/12/13.
staff - were great & very friendly, nothing too much trouble.
venue - very clean & well maintained.
Food - overall good accept for roast potatoes which were hard & very chewy, but once pointed out every effort was made to rectify the issue - just what you would want but often never get at many restaurants.

1  Thank Pen_and_Paul

Reviewed November 19, 2013

arranged a party of 18 people to celebrate wifes birthday. pre organising with patron phillipe was simple and efficient. gave menu selections in advance and there were no problems on arrival. food was served quickly and the quality first class. steaks as ordered, fish (sole) delightful and chicken moist. all guests were very happy with their meal which made the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable. would not hesitate to use again nor to recommend to all. thanks to all the staff for excellent service.

3  Thank malcolm n
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Popped in for a pre-theatre dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The service was faultless, the food cooked quickly and perfectly. All for under £10 a head. Need I say more?

2  Thank Netballgoalshooter
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've read a few really horrendous reviews for The Barn, and honestly was extremely shocked by a couple of them - so I felt compelled to review my own experiences.

I ate there Saturday afternoon with 4 adults and a 2 year old toddler. We arrived rather late at 2.05pm and asked if we could sit upstairs in the restaurant as we had toddler in tow and would need a high chair. The bar staff said the restaurant closed lunch at 2pm, however, they were more than happy to fit us in. Two tables were pushed together to give us a bigger table than usual to accommodate our son, and were made to feel like their number one priority customers. Phillipe came over and said hello, made us welcome, and gave our son a menu to well, destroy. A young waitress took our drinks order, and our drinks were brought promptly over. I have to say, I was impressed that I was offered 'ice and a slice' for my diet coke (i'm pregnant so not drinking), as many pubs/restaurants these days either just miss it out, or give it to you without asking. Phillipe talked us through the dish of the day, and reassured us to take our time as there was no rush.
My husband had the Calamari starter which both he and toddler loved, I had the bruschetta - again, nice to see it was done the traditional way of a cooked tomato with a dash of garlic on toasted bread - rather than fiddly bits of onion/pesto and tomato that you see so much these days.
I had the steak burger for my main - very tasty! It's a traditional burger and homemade, so don't expect seeded buns/cheese/bacon/and pate mince. It came with really nice fries and a tangy tomato relish. My husband had the meatball special dish - there wasn't a morsel left on his plate and he waddled home so I can only assume he approved. My son had the tomato pasta which was just the right size for a toddler his age. My only slight advice for the team is that they ensure the pasta for kids comes out a little cooler than 'hot' because no child enjoys eating hot hot food, or waiting until it cools down. But it was tasty and fresh and my son enjoyed it. Our friends had moules as their main and it looked and smelled so delicious - I was so jealous I couldn't eat it as i'm not allowed shellfish while i'm pregnant.

What makes this venue what it is, is the staff. They go above and beyond your expectations and make for a truly enjoyable time

2  Thank Larbie
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Everything about The Barn was perfect from start to finish. Janet & Philippe can't do enough for you and are determined to make your day exactly that: yours. None of this "we have to do it this way" or "you have to use this supplier" like some venues might insist upon. They went above & beyond at every step, and Janet was ALWAYS there at the end of an email. The day was perfect - the venue had been decorated by the staff for us and every little detail had been thought about. The food was excellent - like other couples who have left a review, many of our guests have complimented us on the quality of the food. Every little request was met - "fussy eaters" and small children included! Even when we had guests drop out last minute, this was no problem.
We knew from the moment we visited The Barn in October 2012 that this was the venue for us - perfect for the day we wanted. October 27 2013 will be a day to never forget.
The staff must also be praised - helpful, friendly and clearly passionate about giving the best service. They too went beyond what could normally be expected of them.
The Barn really is a "more personal wedding venue".

We also regularly visit here as regular customers and we love the atmosphere, good prices & service we get. Never had a bad experience.

2  Thank Clare G