“Really Happily Surprised and Gluten Free Friendly - they do g-free fish and chips!!”

Sankey's Seafood Kitchen & Bar
Order Online
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sankeys Seafood Kitchen & Bar is a relaxing place to come for a drink or a bite to eat. We specialise in fresh seafood but also offer Burgers and steaks too.
Reviewed October 5, 2016

As a serious seafood lover I have been struggling to find anywhere in the UK that does decent seafood at a decent price, so when I came across Sanke's I was already impressed by how much range of seafood their menu has! My boyfriend and I went for our anniversary, it was a gorgeous romantic setting, the staff were really nice and friendly and super polite which is always a massive plus. I had the lobster which was AMAZING! My first time ever having a lobster and it set a very high standard. Being gluten intolerant I was so so happy with the amount of knowledge the waitresses had and if they didn't know the answer they were happy to double check with the chefs. I was most surprised to see gluten free fish and chips on the menu! I can't even tell you the last time I've had that since being diagnosed so I will definitely make a plan to go back and try it.

Date of visit: October 2016
MSankey, Manager at Sankey's Seafood Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2016

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for coming to give us a try and I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your visit.

We are very proud of our team and I know that we all work tirelessly to ensure that we are at the top of our game all the time. This includes being able to discuss dietary requirements even if we ourselves don't suffer from them. Its part of our role.

Our Gluten Free Fish & Chips are hugely popular, and I think I prefer them to the standard beer batter. We use a gluten free lager you see, so it makes more of a tempura batter. crisper and lighter too.

I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed the lobster. I a huge lobster fan and love it when people take the plunge for the first time. The great news is that when you buy a lobster with Sankey's its a "Buy one Set one free" concept. So for every lobster we donate £3.50 to The National Lobster Hatchery in Padstow who raise and nurture a baby lobster until it is old enough to venture out on its own. You cannot get more sustainable that that.

Congratulations on your anniversary and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2016

I have been meaning to write this review for such a long time. We had a fantastic family meal in the pub at Sankey's a few months ago with the kids. We went on a Sunday and were so impressed with the very tasty roast dinner. I had the fish roast while my husband had the beef, which came with a giant yorkshire pudding. Yum!

The kids' meals were actually free of charge as one child eats for free for every adult meal purchased. They both had the sausage and chips followed by some ice-cream which they enjoyed.

There was a lovely relaxed feel to the place and incredibly polite staff. Looking forward to our next visit :)

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank SunshineC82
MSankey, General Manager at Sankey's Seafood Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for writing a review of your family meal in Our Public House. I'm glad that you were able to use our Kids Eat free offer.

We cannot wait to see you and your family again

Kind regards

Matthew Sankey

Reviewed September 26, 2016

This was a get-together with two sets of friends who live in the Tunbridge Wells area. We had a drink upstairs in the bar, which was buzzy and fun. Downstairs the space is charmingly lit and would be perfect for a romantic date. We shared some oysters as an amuse bouche with a bottle of Kent wine. My smoked fish trio starter was a delight and I loved my beer-battered fish with chips and mushy peas (beautifully presented, tasty and not too big, as was my starter). For pudding we shared two crème brûlées. Service was excellent. The mussels had sold out (various combos with fries), which was disappointing. It would also have been nice to see scallops on the menu. Apart from these two minor gripes, it was excellent evening: fantastic food, fantastic place and fantastic friends.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your visit with your friends and subsequent review. Its very much appreciated.

I am sorry that we ran out of mussels, Its often a guessing game with what stock to buy in as the challenge is not to over buy as shellfish doesn't have the greatest of shelf-lives, particularly mussels, but we do strive to have them in stock every day.

Reviewed September 25, 2016 via mobile

Firstly we ate in the pub as opposed to the main restaurant. We were well greeted when we entered and the staff were chatty and congenial. The atmosphere of the place was really great, a nice place to eat or have a few drinks. The prices seemed okay for the area and the food was great quality. The batter on the fish and chips was perfectly crisp. My only criticism was just that some bits weren't as clean as I would have preferred. A few dead flies and dust on the ledge behind where I was sat but it was lovely and I would definitely go back despite. Still clean for a pub. I would imagine that once this is read it will no longer be an issue, more a not to the owners than to customers. Delicious food!

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your visit and feedback. We really appreciate proper feedback and I can assure you the team have read this as I saw three of them cleaning the area that you have pointed out repeatedly recently. It appears to have been an oversight.

Again thank you for taking the time to point this out.

kind Regards

Reviewed September 22, 2016

I had sole which I love, but there was nothing else on the plate and for the price a small salad would have been lovely.

Hi Sue,

I think this review is for The Old Fishmarket and not Our Seafood Brasserie on Mount Ephraim.