“Was pleasantly surprised”

Smart and Simple Hotel
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Booked direct ( with excellent room rate) quite late on as we were meeting 4 other couples and all had booked here. Was apprehensive due to reviews and star rating but our expectations were surpassed. I asked for a quiet room and had good sized room ( 32) overlooking back garden. Hotel had large party and was busy but I slept really well.Quiet, clean room with comfortable bed. Need to heat bathroom before shower. No kettle in room but complimentary bottled water. Continental breakfast was perfectly fine. Staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Ten minute or so walk to town. Parking was ok after 6.

Room Tip: 32 was good- by lift but no noise. Toilet/shower was down some stairs so a little more privacy that...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CPFCeagles

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night. We booked the hotel as a deal through Groupon so got champagne and chocolates in our room.

The hotel is what it says in that it is simple. The room was basic. It was at the front of the hotel so quite noisy especially in the morning. Our radiator made a tapping noise which was also annoying whilst trying to sleep. The bathroom was small but clean.

We had a continental breakfast which was good with a lot of choice. Staff were polite and helpful and the bar and dining room were clean and modern looking.

The location of the hotel was great for town although I am not sure I would want to stay here longer than one night.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank juju79
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked this for our anniversary, it was clean and the room and bathroom was spacious, however they need to look at redoing this as about 3 lights didn't work and it could do with a lick on paint. However it was nice and for the price can't complain. Continental breakfast was nice, I though £7 for cooked breakfast was a bit steep so we didn't have it but it did look nice. Parking is quite hard so you maybe looking for a while. Would go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

On first impressions this hotel looked pretty decent. The concept seemed a good one but with a higher price than i would have expected for a simple hotel. Many will associate simple with budget. They would be wrong to do so here.

The building itself is a nice old English red brick terrace and you can park outside if you are lucky. Otherwise parking is a bit of nightmare. I was on the train so i was OK! The hotel is an easy 10 minutes form the station and town centre.

On arrival the reception staff were friendly if a little reserved. You could tell the hotel had had refit fairly recently but on looking further you could see it wasn't quite there. Whilst it looked good perhaps more everyday prices had been pad for furniture rather than finest prices. The public areas away form the dining room and reception looked a little scuffed and well lived in.

Once i found the room, which seemed to be an off shoot of the fire escape, it was large, light and comfortable. There was a large wardrobe for storage. The bedding was clean and fresh, as were the towels. I slept well for the duration of my stay.

On looking closer at the room i noticed there were a few stains on the carpets and some dark stains on the walls that i assume to be damp. These can be seen in the attached pictures. The room did have a peculiar smell but this went after the room had been aerated for a while. There was TV n the wall but no tea or coffee making facilities, I did not that the hotel would provide Tea on demand via room service.

The bathroom also had a funny smell and a moldy blind. It felt very damp. That may have been because the shower had no door or curtain and the water just seemed to seep out into the bathroom despite my best efforts with every towel and mat to hand At least the steps down from the room prevent a total flood. The water took an age to heat up and didn't seem to rise to a very high temperature. The shower wasn't at all powerful and seemed fiendishly difficult to operate.

There is no cooked breakfast option at this hotel, which is a shame. They do offer a continental breakfast and the self service range is wide. However i do like a good cooked hotel breakfast so this was a let down. I decided to eat out while staying so cant comment on the evening meals. The bar closed at 11 pm prompt.

The garden is really nice, almost alpine in style with water running through it. It is terraced with a good selection of thought out plants and is really fantastic, as it is very quiet and would be a nice place to relax. It is really the best feature of the hotel and should be more widely used.

Frustratingly this hotel just wasn't quite there. If you were paying less you could overlook some of the issues or with a little more attention to detail and this could be a really good boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a modest hotel conveniently situated for the shopping areas of the town. The first thing to note is that all the staff we had contact with were excellent. Our room was of good size with a bathroom. It was simply decorated but the bathroom was fine with a bath and separate shower. The linen, towels etc were all clean and well laundered. The only criticism I would have was that our room had no double glazing and was noisy. For fairness I should say that the original room we were given was double glazed but we switched as it only had a shower and we wanted a bath. The hotel could do with new carpets but at £65 per night, we thought it was excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robert_hsj
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a night recently. The communal areas seem to be very nicely done up - clean, fresh and inviting. However I was a little disappointed by the room. The minute you have got out of the lift the corridors don't look well maintained. The room itself was ok, just a little shabby. Unfortunately the bathroom also smelt a little less than fresh, even though there was no visible dirt. However for the price it was perfectly ok for what I needed

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during a short visit to the Royal town. The hotel is very reasonably priced and my expectations were blown away by the experience.

The rooms are a good size (we had room 2) and have recently been refurbished. Breakfast, at GBP 6.50 is excellent and we had no complaints. In fact, we moved to another hotel which was three times the price for a wedding party and wished we had stayed here for the remaineder of our stay!

I really must mention the staff. They go above and beyond what I had expected. I had asked directions to a nearby restaurant and the young lady gave me some excellent guidance. On returning from my room to leave, she stopped me to provide a printout from Google maps. Just exceptional. We have a couple more similar experiences, the staff are a credit to the hotel.

Downsides? Well, there are only 3 car parking spaces, but you can park opposite the hotel for free. Perhaps the rooms could do with a full size mirror and some extra pillows but this is really only a couple of small suggestions.

Wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Room 2 was very nice!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple