“My Idea of Heaven.......”

The Old Fishmarket by Sankey's
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the Old Fishmarket building in the heart of the Pantiles, Sankey's exclusive Champagne & Seafood bar is the jewel in the town's crown. Serving a wide range of Champagne & sparkling wines from around the world, it's a fabulous place to relax and enjoy the very best british fish & shellfish. We specialise in Oysters and Shellfish. A range of Oysters never before seen in the town from Carlingford, Colchester, Lindisfarn, The Dutchy of Cornwall to name a few. Fresh crabs & lobsters from cornwall arrive live and direct fron Cadgwith cove and are dressed by our chefs on site daily. The menu comprises of Oysters, Starters & Mains as any contempory menu does, but also allows you to build your own platters. So be it for a a light lunch, pre evening nibble or a full banquette The Old Fishmarket is the ideal venue.
Reviewed April 19, 2019

We kept meaning to try the place as we visit Tunbridge Wells from time to time and finally went for food here with my best friend on Wednesday evening.

Far exceeded expectations both in the quality of the food and the service. In fact it was more of an experience rather than just going out for dinner, as we were able to sit at the counter where the chef cooked.

Caleb, the chef at Sankey's, was brilliant. He was happy to spend time talking to us about the amazing produce and took the time to recommend some dishes for us, which did not disappoint!

The roasted shellfish platter had a bit of everything so was the perfect choice, but, because my friend and I are pretty greedy, and the menu was just too good to ignore, we ordered some additional dishes, such as the crab, mackerel pate, devilled anchovies and the truly outstanding crab and lobster bisque; which all went towards creating our very own full on banquet.

We absolutely loved this place, and if you like good quality seafood and the freshest produce, you've got to visit; you will love it too.

We did have a choice of sitting at one of the tables but we chose to sit at the chef's bar, and I'd choose to sit here again. In my opinion, it was an extra bonus because you could see a true professional at work, applying his creative flair in the prep and cooking.

For us it was obvious that the chef was happy in his work, because you could taste the love in the food. There was a definite style in the presentation of the food, but I loved that it fell towards being classic and restrained, rather than being over fussy.

I've read some reviews where people mention that the prices are expensive, but I couldn't disagree more. Good quality, fresh seafood isn't cheap even if you're buying it yourself to cook at home.

When you then throw in the mix that the produce they source is the best available, plus the fact that its being prepared and cooked by a really talented chef, and you're in great surroundings, furnished with excellent service too, I think the prices are incredibly reasonable. I certainly would never describe it as being expensive in the slightest.

We may need to travel to Tunbridge Wells in about four weeks time for an appointment, and we'll definitely be combining the trip with a visit to Sankey's, which we're already looking forward to.

P.S. - We were given the heads up that the restaurant isn't open on Monday's and from the 2nd May, every Thursday night, The Pantiles have an outside jazz event, which can bring up to 5,000 people into town, so if you want to eat here then, you will definitely have to book in advance.

Reviewed April 18, 2019

Had a superb dining experience yesterday (Wednesday 17th April).

We sat at the chef's bar where we had the privilege of meeting the restaurant's chef, Caleb, and watching him cook the most wonderful dishes.

It was lovely to be catered for by someone who was so clearly passionate about his profession and although busy cooking for other diners in the restaurant, was very generous with his time and knowledge; making sure we were enjoying the food and was well looked after.

His colleague (whose name I'm afraid I don't know), was also exceptional and gave us terrific service throughout the evening.

The food itself was incredible. Even though there were only two of us dining, we were lucky enough to be able to sample quite a number of dishes from the menu, including the caviar, lobster, crab, scallops, crevettes, mussels, and a whole host of other delights. And I mustn't forget to mention the beautiful homemade sourdough, devilled anchovies and sublime mackerel pate, plus my favourite dish; which was the best lobster and crab bisque, I've ever tasted.

Hoping to be back in Tunbridge Wells next month some time, and already planning a second visit here.

All in all, an absolutely wonderful evening, so much so, we haven't stopped talking about it all day!

Reviewed April 8, 2019 via mobile

If you like fish this is the place to come. It isn’t cheap but great food never is!

Friendly and helpful service with a great atmosphere centrally situated on the Pantiles.

Well worth a visit if you’re in the vicinity.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed April 4, 2019 via mobile

On a cold wet thursday Afternoon noon the restaurant was expectedly quiet but the two staff were helpful and pleasant
The crab and lobster were incredibly fresh and succulent and went well with the Mâcon. Cant really fault. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 27, 2019 via mobile

I love seafood and this place ticked all the boxes. Would seriously recommend. Oysters were the freshest I’ve had in a while

Date of visit: March 2019