“phenomenal doesn't do them justice!”
Review of La Fiamma - CLOSED

La Fiamma
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: NOW OPEN 6 NIGHTS PER WEEK (Tuesday to Sunday - (Sunday open for collection and delivery Only) Tulip Foods UK Pizza Chef of the Year Award Winner - PAPA Awards 2013. At La Fiamma, we want to bring you a truly memorable pizza, made with great ingredients and traditional methods and cooked in our amazing wood-fired oven. Apart form being named in the Guardian's Top 8 pizza places in the country in August 2013, In November at the Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association's (PAPA) Awards ceremony in London on November 14th, 2013, Our owner and chef was named Pizza Chef of the Year.
Reviewed May 23, 2014

my other half and i have raved about this place over twitter every time we get a la fiamma, the owners are fantastic and friendly and are always giving the same level or service and food quality. evey single time it has been flawless. i hate the reviews of anywhere that are nothing but shining shimmering and if you have read any of my other reviews im quite blunt if there is any problem and often the first person to complain.. but hands down i could not find a fault with la fiamma if i tried. (accept the lack of it in my belly right now)
in fact just writing this now is making me want to go have a beer down the road after work and collect a pizza frrom them on the way home..

Simon698, Owner at La Fiamma, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Hi Mr69er,

Just really, really grateful for your awesome review! So very kind indeed...We have in fact now sold the business and a fantastic pizza business will reopen in due course.

But thank you, not only for being great customers, but also for the positivity and public feedback, which apart from helping us out - also put a big smile on our faces!

So all the best and very kind regards,

Simon

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Great pizza. Delicious thin base(no stuffed crusts here, thank goodness) and a perfect ratio of topping. Not swimming in grease either. I don't eat pizza often but when I do I will definitely return here.
Sure the restaurant is small but it suits the menu. The service was excellent and friendly.
Avoid the big chain restaurants and give La Fiamma a try...you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank ju-ju60
Simon698, Owner at La Fiamma, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Juju60,

Thank you so much for your review and I'm really sorry it's taken a while to respond.

I loved what you had to say about the pizza! That's what it's all about! Alas, we have now left the building...A great new company has taken over and will reopen in due course.

But thank you so much for the positivity and all the very best for the future.

Kind regards,

Simon

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Good pizzas. Zero atmosphere. This is basically a takeaway place that happens to have put some cold and fairly uncomfortable seating in the basement. Decor is minimal, service is very average and the place completely lacks atmosphere. That said, the pizzas are really good thin-based, flame-cooked beauties! However, next time, my wife and I will not bother to eat our pizzas here, but will have them at home where they will be accompanied by a much better wine for the money. Generally the food and wine are not particularly good value, especially when compared with other places around the town.

1  Thank NoPresumptions
Simon698, Owner at La Fiamma, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the very nice comments relating to the quality of the food served here. We are very proud indeed of the many positive responses, reviews and plaudits we have received since opening, and we are constantly striving to maintain and even improve on the standards we have set for ourselves.

You visited on the Tuesday 8th April at 19.30 with your wife. Tuesday's are quiet nights in general up here at our restaurant on Mount Ephraim. But during the Easter break, they are especially quiet. (Most small restaurants are quiet on Tuesdays). There is not a great deal we can do about that. When you arrived, you were the first people to be seated, and we only had two subsequent tables. In my experience the atmosphere of the restaurant is usually down to the people present - I don't think it's something we would ever wish to manufacture - even if it were possible. I'm sorry that it wasn't "buzzing" but it's out of my hands. So, in this respect, I find your comments rather harsh, if not slightly perplexing. We provided with you with a candle lit dinner; what you have described as very good pizza - I would say excellent pizza and we have responded to your requests and tried to make sure that you had an enjoyable evening. So I hope you can understand why I might view your comments regarding atmosphere with raised eyebrows and a rub of the chin! I mean, if I'd known you were coming I would have laid on a magician and some dancing girls!

Your bill was £46.50. This included a £20 bottle of Chianti. Our second best selling wine and a wine which has so far only had one complaint which is this one. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy it but I can assure you that, to my knowledge so far, everyone else has. If you dine regularly at BYO restaurants, then you are in a position to provide your preferred wine and pay a corkage as I believe you have done previously. But I don't think a £20 bottle of wine could really be classed as poor value on a licensed premises. I am sure readers of this response would agree with me. (Our house wine is £15.95)

Putting the wine aside for a moment, your total food bill was £26.50, or £13.25 per head. Any 2 pizzas ordered can never be more than £13.25 per head. 2 pizzas with a rocket and parmesan salad and a large garlic dough bread comes to just £15.00 per head. It would be nigh on impossible to spend more than £15 per head on food. So at £13.25, we are £1-£2 more expensive than, say, Pizza Express. Not bad really having just won Pizza Chef of the year and (completely separately and independently), being named as one of the best pizzas in the country by the Guardian newspaper a few months back, that's before you interrogate the quantity and more importantly quality of what we provide here - which is indisputable. Our pizzas are nearly 14" in diameter - people often share them or take home what they can not eat. So to say the value here is poor is highly questionable and at odds with other reviewers.

Regarding the service...I have now had the chance to speak to the girls, they were not on their mobile phones, but they were working away. In a quiet restaurant it is never a good thing to be hovering around your customers. Maybe that's a subjective issue and what you feel represents good service. I don't know. Was the food slow in reaching you? Was anyone rude or impolite? I don't think so. You stayed for just over an hour, drank a bottle of wine and ate everything - there can't have been too much wrong with the service. You certainly didn't complain about anything. Thankfully there are so many people who love coming here and enjoy the atmosphere, service and food, as reviews reflect.

We have had some private discussions by message prior to me writing this public response, in which I politely and in civilised language discussed these issues with you. Your response was to threaten me with the police! I read my note to you and your response to my wife this morning and we laughed for quite some time so I suppose we have that to thank you for!

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Just wanted to give feedback after reading your bad review, after visiting you guys for the first time with my land lord a friend of yours Andy Hall, I thought you guys did a fantastic job, your clearly very passionate about your food and that really came across, such a great atmosphere, very laid back and welcoming the pizza was excellent man sized and delicious. Have recommended to just about Anyone who's hungry. Keep up the fantastic work guys. :)

Simon698, Owner at La Fiamma, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Jimmy760,

Sorry it's taken a while to respond to your review - but just wanted to say a massive thank you for going to the time and trouble of writing so positively about the business and most of all pizza! I really appreciate the feedback and recommendation! Very kind and hope to see you again soon! All the very best,
Simon :)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

For my son's birthday we decided to get take away pizza. After looking at the menus of all the pizza places in tunbridge wells and being put off by the idea of BBQ sauce on a pizza we settled for La Fiamma. The owner Simon was so friendly, the pizza was huge and absolutely delicious. I'm surprised anyone bothers with Dominos when you have La Fiamma a few doors away.

Simon698, Owner at La Fiamma, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Suzyneve,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it as we put in a lot of effort here to try to achieve excellent results. I'm really glad you enjoyed it and I hope your son had an excellent birthday! All the very best,
Simon :)