“Dog friendly café with great food at excellent prices with a people watching position”
Review of Javabean Cafe

Javabean Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: Javabean is a long established independent Cafe on the High Street of Tunbridge Wells. Known locally for our great Coffee and Eggs Benedict, we offer a full and varied menu of delicious eat in or take out food and drink. Open 7 days a week we also serve traditional English Breakfast all day every day.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I live in Tunbridge Wells and the Javabean is my first stop for breakfast or brunch. Always bustling with things to see (bi monthly change of gallery artists for instance), local and friendly staff with food (and coffee) which always hits the mark without breaking the bank. We regularly stop here for brunch after a long dog walk at the weekend.

• Visited August 2014
Debbie R, Owner at Javabean Cafe, responded to this review, November 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are absolutely delighted you look forward to visiting us. we hope to continue to impress.

Tunbridge Wells
“DISAPPOINTING”
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We have the same issues as Bob S who wrote a review in May. We went for brunch on Friday 8 th August. The food was not as good as it has been, over cooked scrambled eggs & a hard poached egg, but every place can have an "off" day. The problem was a dog, which was not kept under control by its owner & was allowed to slobber over our table while my husband ate his food. The waitress petted the dog, before bringing food to our table. I read that you have decided to allow dogs into the cafe, at the least you should insist the staff do not pet the dogs & do more to enforce the under control rule.
We will not be returning.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank KateCTunbridgeWells
Debbie R, Owner at Javabean Cafe, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
I was absolutely mortified and deeply sorry to read you review. Regarding the food, I agree there can be off days, but my kitchen staff strive to deliver excellent food every time, it's no excuse I know but we do currently have a new trainee Chef and also our Head Chef was on holiday when you visited us so this may have been why the eggs were not quite up to our usual standard.

Regarding your experience with one of our customers dog and my staff petting the dog, I was horrified! I am in the Cafe nearly 7 days a week, but every now and then I might be absent and I can only trust my staff during this time. I have spoken to the member of staff who petted the dog during your visit and she thought that because she was on her break and not wearing her apron and washed her hands after that this was ok. She is a highly valued member of our team who works incredibly hard and wished for me to express how deeply sorry she is that she allowed her love of animals to rule her head on this occasion, but has assured me that it will never happen again.

However after much discussion with the team and some of our lovely Dog Owning customers, we have reviewed our policy and have decided to only allow Guide Dogs into the Cafe as your experience was totally unacceptable.

We do hope that you will return again as we solely rely on returning custom.

Kindest Regards
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“nice cafe with some great staff”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I like popping in with my black labrador for a cappuccino and occasionally a cooked breakfast. All the the staff are good and very friendly esp the Czech waitress, it's great to have Europeans come to England to work. My dog also looks forward to the trips as there are often children there all of who love to pat her on the head.

• Visited July 2014
Debbie R, Owner at Javabean Cafe, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review, we are so pleased that you enjoy visiting us with your lovely Black Labrador and we really appreciate your loyal custom, however, we are having to review our policy regarding allowing dogs into the cafe as we have recently received another negative review regarding our staff not complying with our policy regarding dog petting etc. So it is with regret that we may have to only allow guide dogs into the cafe. We do hope that you will continue to visit us with your beautiful dog in our external dining area, we do have blankets to keep you warm.

Warmest Regards
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous lunch in a lovely part of town.”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

First of all, I have to say that this cafe has struck a PERFECT balance between catering for people with dietary issues, and providing proper, tasty food. Unfussy eaters are by no means punished by the allergy free options available - therefore it's great both for normal eaters, who can enjoy normal food there, and those who have issues, as the staff seem really clued up and happy to suggest alternatives, alterations, etc.

This was my first visit to Javabean Cafe. I went on the recommendation of family friends and was not disappointed.

First of all, it is situated in a lovely part of Tunbridge Wells, where you can watch the world go by. The cafe is light and airy, and the tables are far enough apart that you can have a nice chat, without feeling overheard, as is often a problem in small cafes. Tables were being cleared and cleaned quickly ready for the lunchtime rush.

I visited Javabean with a friend who has very complicated dietary requirements. She ordered a salad with chicken and bacon, and the waitress (and perhaps manager?) was really helpful and listed which vegetables would be in the salad, to make sure that my friend was okay with them all. She also got a spare cup and some water for my friend who needed to take some medication, with no fuss, which was massively appreciated, as requests like these are so often met with huffs and puffs! She made sure that my friend's salad would not have any butter/oil etc on it. I ordered a coronation chicken wrap and some tea. The tea was very nice. Our food came quickly and the salad was plentiful and had lots of chicken and bacon on it, which seemed very good quality and freshly cooked. My wrap was very tasty indeed - I am a regular eater of coronation chicken and have to say this one ranked highly!!

I will certainly return on my next visit to Tunbridge Wells. Well done on creating such a friendly, good value lunch spot.

• Visited July 2014
Debbie R, Owner at Javabean Cafe, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Many thanks for your kind words, it really means a lot when customers take the time to write a review and I am delighted that the service you received on your visit was good and that we were able to offer you ad your friend an enjoyable lunch. We hope to see you again soon.
Paris, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely cafe!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Really enjoyed my trip to Java Bean last month. The staff are really great, the cafe itself is adorable and my chocolate brownie milkshake was amazing!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Claire C
Debbie R, Owner at Javabean Cafe, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you very much for your review of our Cafe, we are delighted you enjoyed our Chocolate Brownie Milkshake and that the Staff were great. It's a real team effort and it's just wonderful that you enjoyed your visit enough to write a review back home in France. Thank you very much and we hope to have you join us again one day soon.