“Relaxing massage but too many negatives”
Review of Royale Retreat Spa

Royale Retreat Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: At the heart of the Spa Town: The Royale Retreat Day Spa and Health Club is a beautifully transformed and newly refurbished property situated within the post office square in the heart of Royal Tunbridge Wells Spa Town. This truly magnificent building, with its outstanding architecture, exquisite Georgian spirit and luxurious Spa facilities has allowed us to create an elegant and results driven experience for our customers. Royale Retreat Day Spa offers a stunning complement of therapeutic and rejuvenating face and body care treatments, using the best products with the finest ingredients, from the European skin care house, Germaine de Capuccini, South African Environ and many more.
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I booked in for a spa experience at Spa Escape courtesy of a Travelzoo voucher. The experience was ok but could have been better. After a very pleasant welcome and a quick tour of the spa we went to get changed. No slippers or footwear were provided - just a robe and towel. The lockers in the changing rooms are ridiculously small - a rucksack filled mine with barely any room for anything else. The shower was luke warm. The black slated pool looked inviting and was relaxing and also empty. The jacuzzi was luke warm and lots of foam was produced in a v short space of time - not sure what was in the water! The sauna and steam room both evidenced a lack of cleaning with dirt and debris on the floor of both. The hour long aromatherapy massage was excellent. The staff were professional, polite and attentive. A sign of a good massage is if puts my partner to sleep - and it did! The relaxation room has great comfy beds. But it would have been nice to have been offered a drink after the massage as opposed to water from a dispenser. Also the staff room is rigth next to the relaxation room and you could clearly hear two members of staff eating their lunch and chatting. For the price we paid it was fine but would have been reluctant to pay full price given the condition of some of the facilities and the negative points. Will probably not be returning and certainly not until they get a new boiler installed. The spa break market offers a huge choice at very competitive prices and there are better options out there.

2  Thank Rob007Kent_UK
"relaxing atmosphere"
"spa facilities"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My daughter bought us both a spa package though Expedia. The total price Was £140. When we arrived at 10 am the jacuzzi was freezing. There was also an odd damp smell in the steram room. We went to reception to report the jacuzzi problem and were told: 'I'll go and turn it up. It takes a while to get warm.' It was still freezing cold at 12 noon and so we left. We complained to the manager who said' It's only the jacuzzi; the pool is the right temperature. Given there is no gym and only a ppol steam room sauna and (cold) jacuzzi, this is not good value. The visit included one facial and a very rudimentary manicure. Not a place I would recommend.

3  Thank Elidor50
DavidGl_13, Owner at Royale Retreat Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Spa User,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit to our Spa. I can only apologise if you did not enjoy your visit. In respect of the jacuzzi we acknowledge that it was not to temperature. This was due to a failure of the thermostat which regulates the temperature. As soon as we were made aware of the problem we arranged for it to be fixed. This was done on the same day as the fault happened. As I am sure you appreciate sometimes plant and equipment can fail and this is beyond our control. What is within our control is how quickly we fix the problem and the service we offer to any guest affected by the problem. In this instance we apologised unreservedly and offered you and your daughter a complimentary return visit to the Spa. At the time of the visit you and your daughter stated that you were very happy with the offer that we made and it is therefore somewhat of a shame to now read your review on Trip Advisor.

In regard to the treatments that you and your daughter booked and received these were part of our Introductory Offer which consisted of a 55 minute facial and a 25 minute mini manicure which included a hand massage, file and polish. We do of course offer our classic manicure or luxury manicure which last 45 minutes and 1 hour respectively and could have been purchased should you have wished to have a more comprehensive manicure. I do believe that the treatments offered as part of our offer coupled with the use of our Spa facilities which includes a pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna offer exceptional value for money.

I am extremely sorry to note that you would not currently recommend us but trust that when you return for your complimentary visit that you will reassess your opinion of the Spa and that you will have the same positive experience that our other guests enjoy.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We were very warmly greeted by the receptionist Kelly who showed us around then offered us our champagne as we awaited our treatment! We had the afternoon tea and champagne package with a full body massage! Sam and Emma were superb and my girlfriend and I left feeling revitalised! Great value for a valentines gift! I will certainly be booking birthday and Xmas packages for my mum and sisters!

1  Thank IanB1982
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My partner and I visited Spa Escape for a birthday treat. We received a very warm welcome from the staff and were very well looked after. Having visited other spa's around the world, this is up there with the best of them. I would really recommend a facial treatment, along with a full body massage, we both left Spa Escape feeling like new people and have told all of our family and friends to visit.

1  Thank Harry S