“Avoid this Hotel at all costs!”

Spa Spa at The Spa Hotel
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Avoid this Hotel at all costs!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel does not deserve a 4 star rating and should have a visit from the Hotel Inspector as soon as possible. It does not cater for anything other than weddings or other similar functions. If you are a regular holiday maker or visitor to the hotel expect to be ignored at all times and spoken to rudely by staff especially Senior Management. The rooms are very expensive and not value for money. There is limited seating, particularly if there are functions taking place. It is often very noisy when there are parties of people at the hotel and some of their behaviour is appalling. No effort is made by staff to ask these individuals to have consideration for other guests. I would recormmend the Hotel Du Vin in Tunbridge Wells as a suitable alternative.

Visited April 2012
Spa2000, Manager at Spa Spa at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
These guests visited The Spa Hotel regularly for a number of years however when their behaviour became unacceptable they were politely asked to find an alternative venue. They now seem to be seeking some sort of vengeance via trip advisor. I feel I should add that whilst we are a popular wedding venue, we also cater adequately for both leisure guests and local residents. Incidentally, we have recently had an AA inspection which has confirmed our 4 star status.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“excellent”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Food was excellent - rooms are luxurious and the service was very good apart from one slight hic up on checking out, which was rectified but did not spoil our experience

Visited May 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Spa at the Spa hotel Tunbridge Wells”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was easy to find with the Sat Nav, ample free parking space, lovely country setting, atmosphere friendly and peaceful. Greeted at the reception which is located just as you enter the doors, friendly staff instruct you on facilities and give you complimentary towels, gown and hot drinks. I went with a hen party and we were pampered all day long. We all had different treatments, I had the facial and shoulder massage, the masseuse put me at my ease and was an expert, I left feeling relaxed and with less joint pain.
The swimming pool, sauna and steam rooms are a little small but adequate, there are two gyms that I did not use as I forgot to take my gym clothes, others did and said there was a great variety of machines.
Our lunch there was excellent nice selection, tasty and reasonable portion size, but be warned that if you drink any wine it is added to your bill. Alcohol was expensive, but that is the case in most hotels, a rose spritzer and a coke came to £8 and a Mojito £10.50
We were allowed to use the facilities all day long, it was never crowded. We went on a Friday morning and stayed until 4pm, there was always someone on hand to provide us with help and complimentary hot drinks. It was a very clean and pretty place. They have reductions for children's entrance but I didn't see any, and I think its mainly for adults. There was a wedding in the hotel itself, the grounds are beautiful all countryside visible and very peaceful.
My friend booked the hotel and spa treatments a month in advance. I paid £73 for going there, having one treatment and 2 course lunch with one free soft drink. All the girls in my party had a positive experience.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank DaphneBas
England
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Needs a facelift”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The staff were great but the place needed money spent on it to make it up to the correct standard. OK for a swim but not for a Spa Day

Visited April 2012
3 Thank flavell
Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Not a really a day spa - but a hotel with spa facilities.”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

A lot of hotels seem to add a couple of treatment rooms, and a pool to their existing gym facilities and call themselves a spa. I've been looking for a day spa in Sussex for ages, and was recommended this one, by a friend, but I was a bit disappointed. Im a member of the local Bannatynes so could have just gone there - but thats not really what I was looking for.

Im not fussed by luxury treatments to be honest. An Elemis facial or a thalgo body massage is the same no matter where you go, and you are never far from a Bannatynes if this is what you want. Plenty of salons have treatment rooms where you can have these things done.

What Im looking for is somewhere which is luxurious in itself. I want to be on my own, with my Kindle. Somewhere you can relax, and walk between the hydrotherapy area and steam room, then doze on the beds, before a quick sauna and a relaxing tasty lunch.....you get the picture. I want lovely bath robes and slippers, an abundance of fresh clean towels and peaceful music. I'd like tea and coffee and iced water available for me to help myself to. I want a relaxation room and maybe I will book some treatments, but at the end of the day, I want the place itself to be the treat.

What I got was a hard plastic lounger by the tiny pool. It was cold in there as well, and I ended up with a towel and my robe over me as I tried to keep warm and relax reading my book. The relaxation room was small and quite peaceful, but the chairs were fixed in one position and I ended up with a crick in my neck. Someone elses tea and coffee cups were left in there all day.

I used the gym which was small but well equipped, and I had a bit of a swim but it was a bit grubby in there, and I just didn't feel comfortable.

The sauna was tiny and right inside the changing rooms. It felt a bit like sitting in a garden shed, and was a bit tatty. The steam room was bigger and a good temperature, but it was one of those plastic ones which felt cheap and nasty, and when you shut the door, the whole thing shuddered sending water raining down on you from the ceiling. It was like sitting in a container!

There is no hydrotherapy area (which to me is the definition of a "spa") so having left the steam/sauna there was no plunge pool. The only option was to use the showers in the change room which were pretty grotty and the supplied shampoo was nasty.

I booked a spa day which came with lunch. I had to order at the start of the day and the options were very limited. Sandwiches and jacket potatoes or a salad. I ended up with a caesar salad which was made with chicken that was clearly bought in ready cooked and was watery. It had been shown a grill as it had those neat grill lines - but it tasted like the stuff you get in Tesco. The lettuce was brown around the edges.

I didnt want dessert which was included, so I had a coffee instead.

I paid £75 for the day which was quite cheap. Included were 2x 30min treatments, and I had a facial and manicure - both of which were well done by the therapist who was lovely. I had wanted 2x 1hr treatments when I booked but was told they couldn't fit me in for them - although who knows why as I seemed to be the only person there on a spa day. There were occasional visits from people using the gym or having treatments so it looks well used.

I had the treatments at the very end of the day which was my choice, I like to be able to relax beforehand.

In short, the staff were the real shining light in this place. Nothing was too much trouble and they did all they could to make me happy. The day was nice - but mainly as it was my opportunity to sit all day and read on my own without thinking about my 9 month old baby, the housework and the fact that Im about to return to work after maternity leave.

Was I disappointed? Yes. Would I go back? probably not. I'm fairly certain I will be able to find what Im looking for somewhere else. Otherwise I will get myself to Ragdale and be done with it!