“Nothing better in Tunbridge Wells, easily worth the money.”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have stayed in cheaper hotels in tunbridge wells, but It is worth paying a little bit more to stay here. We stayed for a wedding and were pleased with the whole experience. The room was a good size,with a very large bathroom. Comfortable bed with good fixtures and fittings, which all helped to provide us with a great nights sleep. The grounds and location are both brilliant, with the town easily accessible.
My only recommendation would be to extend the serving hours for breakfast as some of our group woke up after 10 and had missed all of the food. We would stay again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Went to The Spa Hotel at Royal Tun Wells, it was as good as when I went last time, good parking, very close to the town walking distance, to the Pantiles, which everyone should go to see, and take the waters (taste etc) supposed to be very good for you. Hotel has lovely gardens, very roomy reception, plenty of space to have afternoon tea etc and meet people.
First class restaurant, beautiful dinning room very placitual, food and service very good, right for a 4 star Hotel, but not over expensive.
If you want to stay in Tunbridge Wells then this is the place to go. Paul and Joan Bennett

Room Tip: Get a room at the back if possible
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and i had our wedding reception at the spa so for our 20th anniversary i took us back for the night.

On arrival there was a small queue in reception the family in front of us were being booked in. The lovely lady at reception was chatting to them asking if they had stayed before, telling about all the facilities breakfast spa etc.
Our turn. Our receptionist asked our name we signed in then she pointed to the right and told us our room was round there and up the stairs!!!!
Not quite the warm welcome i was expecting! Maybe sadly i would have liked to have been asked if i had stayed before then i could have told her yes 20 years ago and that this was our anniversary which i was kinda excited about.

Our room 111 was fantastic beautifully decorated no complaints we loved it.

On return in the evening from diner in the Wells we thought we would go to the bar.
It was very quiet with only a couple of people in so we sat ourselves up at the bar and looked at the cocktail menu.
Two very young lads were serving and we chatted to them. It was a disappointment to find that they didn't know how to make our cocktails without the instruction cards!!!
At £11 each in such a hotel this was in our opinion pretty poor!! Although they were great cocktails

We slept wonderfully and went to breakfast

The dining room is lovely as were the staff. Breakfast was good although felt a little "hovered" over by the waiting staff who tried to take my plate away while my husband was still eating.

All in its still a fantastic beautiful hotel with fabulous grounds which to us brought back our wedding photo memories

I did fill in the feedback form that was in our room and hand it in when we left but alas no response. I would recommend coming here but don't expect a warm welcome.

2  Thank RuthEastSussex
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Room very tatty not worth the money paid for up grade and very disappointed complained by letter got 100
pounds voucher sent it back as I would not spend another pound there did not even get a reply owners don't care . Resteraunt staff unhelpful

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank deanmk67
Spa2000, Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

We received a letter of complaint from this guest regarding their bedroom being, in their opinion, “bland” and they were also unhappy with their meal in the restaurant. They did however compliment us on our service, and stated that their massages were possibly they best they had ever had. We investigated and sent a considered response together with a voucher to the value of £100. We believe this to be more than adequate and are sorry they have chosen not to return.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a very comfortable and welcoming hotel. It's been restored very well and is now clean and inviting. It's a good location as it's only 10 mins walk downhill to the town centre but is in a lovely wooded setting.

My double room for single occupancy was huge, and I had a lovely view of the gardens at the back. My sash windows had delicate gothic tracery in the top window. I slept really well and the bed was very comfortable. I stayed on a Sunday night as I had business meetings on the Monday. I ate in the restaurant on Sunday night and the staff were very pleasant. While the food was all right, it wasn't up to the AA Rosette standard.
My twice baked cheese soufflé starter was nice, but it was served with a very heavy onion marmalade which did not complement the soufflé. The seeded bread roll felt as though it had just been de-frosted as the bottom was rock hard. (I expected bread from a local bakery.) My main course of sea bream fillet was fine, but didn't have much flavour and was nothing special. My experience of AA Rosette restaurants is that the ingredients are always first class and the food bursts with flavour; sadly it wasn't the case here. Maybe the B-team cook on a Sunday?

But the cooked breakfast was a bit disappointing too. The fruit and selection of cold stuff was good, so I was hopeful. But my poached eggs were cold (tho they were replaced) and the sausages, which came suspiciously quickly, were very dry and lacked flavour (as though they'd been kept hot). In fact the whole breakfast was very dry and I had to get a second pot of tea.
Maybe I was just there on a bad day but the food was sadly not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a two night stay and were allocated a lovely room with a four poster bed overlooking the front of the hotel. Modern bathroom with large walk in shower.

Had excellent service and were able to relax and enjoy the extensive grounds around the lake. Good breakfast in the imposing dining room. Excellent free wi-fi. A single course dinner was included in the package deal which represented good value.

Dress code was smart casual which most adhered to.

Would revisit if in the area again.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I brought my partner here, as we were due to go on a baloon flight for his 30th birthday- but unfortunately it got cancelled.

We arrived early, so had some lunch in the orangery, which is a Lovely relaxing room with big sofas, and views of the gardens.

We had a lovely room with a queen sized bed, and seperate seating area, overlooking the grounds with a balcony.

We attended the 'spa', although the swimming pool is tiny, and there is a small steam room and small saunas, which I don't believe justify calling this a spa hotel.

We had dinner in the evening, which was included in our price- and this was absolutely amazing.
The staff were efficient, the food was presented immaculately.
Id ordered champagne to arrive upon our return from dinner and it was chilling as we arrived back.
We enjoyed this on the balcony.

The bed was very comfortable and the rooms seemed very quiet- although it was mid week.

Breakfast the following morning was lovely- well cooked and very good quality.

Great location.

I'd Definately return here, although I think the spa could be improved or made into something bigger.

• Stayed: June 2013
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
#7 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!