“Tatty unhelpfull managment wast of money”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
“Tatty unhelpfull managment wast of money”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Room very tatty not worth the money paid for up grade and very disappointed complained by letter got 100
pounds voucher sent it back as I would not spend another pound there did not even get a reply owners don't care . Resteraunt staff unhelpful

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank deanmk67
Spa2000, Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
We received a letter of complaint from this guest regarding their bedroom being, in their opinion, “bland” and they were also unhappy with their meal in the restaurant. They did however compliment us on our service, and stated that their massages were possibly they best they had ever had. We investigated and sent a considered response together with a voucher to the value of £100. We believe this to be more than adequate and are sorry they have chosen not to return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a very comfortable and welcoming hotel. It's been restored very well and is now clean and inviting. It's a good location as it's only 10 mins walk downhill to the town centre but is in a lovely wooded setting.

My double room for single occupancy was huge, and I had a lovely view of the gardens at the back. My sash windows had delicate gothic tracery in the top window. I slept really well and the bed was very comfortable. I stayed on a Sunday night as I had business meetings on the Monday. I ate in the restaurant on Sunday night and the staff were very pleasant. While the food was all right, it wasn't up to the AA Rosette standard.
My twice baked cheese soufflé starter was nice, but it was served with a very heavy onion marmalade which did not complement the soufflé. The seeded bread roll felt as though it had just been de-frosted as the bottom was rock hard. (I expected bread from a local bakery.) My main course of sea bream fillet was fine, but didn't have much flavour and was nothing special. My experience of AA Rosette restaurants is that the ingredients are always first class and the food bursts with flavour; sadly it wasn't the case here. Maybe the B-team cook on a Sunday?

But the cooked breakfast was a bit disappointing too. The fruit and selection of cold stuff was good, so I was hopeful. But my poached eggs were cold (tho they were replaced) and the sausages, which came suspiciously quickly, were very dry and lacked flavour (as though they'd been kept hot). In fact the whole breakfast was very dry and I had to get a second pot of tea.
Maybe I was just there on a bad day but the food was sadly not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reading
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a two night stay and were allocated a lovely room with a four poster bed overlooking the front of the hotel. Modern bathroom with large walk in shower.

Had excellent service and were able to relax and enjoy the extensive grounds around the lake. Good breakfast in the imposing dining room. Excellent free wi-fi. A single course dinner was included in the package deal which represented good value.

Dress code was smart casual which most adhered to.

Would revisit if in the area again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I brought my partner here, as we were due to go on a baloon flight for his 30th birthday- but unfortunately it got cancelled.

We arrived early, so had some lunch in the orangery, which is a Lovely relaxing room with big sofas, and views of the gardens.

We had a lovely room with a queen sized bed, and seperate seating area, overlooking the grounds with a balcony.

We attended the 'spa', although the swimming pool is tiny, and there is a small steam room and small saunas, which I don't believe justify calling this a spa hotel.

We had dinner in the evening, which was included in our price- and this was absolutely amazing.
The staff were efficient, the food was presented immaculately.
Id ordered champagne to arrive upon our return from dinner and it was chilling as we arrived back.
We enjoyed this on the balcony.

The bed was very comfortable and the rooms seemed very quiet- although it was mid week.

Breakfast the following morning was lovely- well cooked and very good quality.

Great location.

I'd Definately return here, although I think the spa could be improved or made into something bigger.

• Stayed June 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed one night The room was very hot no fans but managed to get a window to open The small beds were most uncomfortable The breakfast was good The hotel looking a little tired and the reception staff were not very helpful or friendly

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We arrived at the £209 a night hotel expecting something much grander. It just looked simple.

When we arrived to check in the receptionist was friendly enough, but when we arrived in our room, we were disappointed. The room was just a basic size and our view was the exit escape and a bird pooped ridden roof. Lovely. The room itself seemed to have attempted to squeeze in as much furniture is it could, we had to move chairs to get access to the writing desk, which has a tv stationed right on its corner. It was a night mate to sit as the desk as I has to move the chair to get access to the table, and my partner could not get to his Side of the bed as the chair blocked it. Also at the table it was hard to dry your hair as there was hardly any elbow room as as a result I was blocking the tv, which the hubby wasn't impressed with. There was also no mirror there so I had to keep popping in and out of the bathroom to check on my handy work.

The glasses in the room were dirty. And the trouser press had as much dust on it as a volcano. Def not a 4*. The complimentary biscuits were soggy. There was also no air conditioning or a minibar/fridge. Disappointing.

The next time head to tunbridge wells, I'll be heading to the Travel lodge up the road. At least there you not be disappointed or charged crazy prices.

It's also about a half an hour walk to the centre of town. Not great.

The breakfast was god though! Only positive about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Netherfield
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel has 4 stars but i have to say it does not deserve them. The location and settings are beautiful but the hotel itself is very tired and dated. No air conditioning which may normally not be an issue in the UK but during the heat a real problem. The bedrooms are serviceable but not special. Food is good and the bar ok. Not sure i will go back in a hurry.

Room Tip: Avoid the front. The road is busy all night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
The Royal Wells Hotel
The Royal Wells Hotel
#6 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!