“Old Style - But with Surprises!”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed one night here for an event I was organising.
The first reaction was not good; the reception team must have been having a bad day. Looking around the lounge was full of elderly folk having some sort of high tea!

When I got to my room it was superb, grandly furnished in a traditional but modern style. The bathroom was fabulous and the free WiFi excellent. The bed was more than comfy and the room temperature perfect.

The event was well organised, unfortunately the food team were a little disorganised for our themed buffet – but our guest enjoyed themselves.

Breakfast was good and check out fast and efficient – reception team back on track. I would come back... as we left another bunch of elderly folk arrived for more tea and coffee.... must remember where to come when I retire!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a great time, front room with a gorgeous bay window. The room was huge which was great because we had a child staying with us. The room and hotel were clean, the food was great and made full use of the swimming pool with our child and the gym in the morning. Will stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 8th Feb, this was a gift for my 65th birthday from my young cousin, and what a treat. The room was brilliant (208) with a huge bathroom, lots of comfort. Food in the restaurant was excellent at Dinner and breakfast. Everyone of the staff was very attentive and very smiley!
This time there was jazz band in the bar, although it crowded and we couldn't get a seat, we could still hear them from the main reception lounge. Next time I would suggest they hold it in a bigger room.
We had massages booked which were wonderful. In fact it was so good I went back last Friday so I could destress from my home/work life. It worked. Feel like new again. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms 208 and 217 are good. Lovely views over the common but away from the main road so not noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank passer62
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great Hotel (but)
The ambiance was excellent. We would stay again.
our room was was a bit small until you took into account the bathroom
Problem was when we got there and wanted a coffee and sandwich lounge table and chairs had been Reserved, we scrounged a couple of coffee tables and some chairs. We was in there for an hour no one used the reserved table.
The next day we walked in the town when we got back and sat at a lounge table (large coffee table) The waitress cam up have you booked for afternoon tea and cakes. we hadn't, it was reserved.
To the hotel yes you need to make money i get that but your guests are just as important.
I wouldn't stay at this hotel for the SPA.
I pick hotels that have a pool. For a spa was too small and cold.
Once you got out of the pool we froze it was freezing no heating at all.
The sauna was male only steam room mixed????
Nice hotel bad SPA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was booked in for one night due to business. Hotel is traditional in decor but charming. Great service from staff from reception to breakfast. Complimentary to lovely room (227) with very nice large new bathroom. Bed very comfy and slept well. Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have just spent possibly the worst night ever in this hotel. On the outside this is a beautiful building with lovely grounds. The spa facilities are mediocre but the room was terrible.
The bed was saggy and soft. The room was boiling - even with the windows open. Both myself and my other half woke up sweating due to the heat. There is no noise proofing, you can hear people walking down the corridor and a group of people could easily be heard shouting and banging outside of our room in the early hours of the morning.
The layout of the room leaves a lot to be desired. They have randomly provided facilities by just sticking them on the wall. For example a random box has been screwed to the wall containing the tea and coffee making facilities with no thought to the decor of the room.
Overall we have had a terrible stay here not the relaxing spa break we had hoped for. We could not recommend this hotel at all. There are far better options in Tunbridge Wells.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Tommyh89
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Sadly the reason for my visit on this occasion was for a close family members wake.... Never the best of events, we hired the York suite a very pleasant room with its own bar and ample space for the 60 + guests we had, we had Pre ordered afternoon tea for our guests, I have to say this was very nicely done with finger sandwiches, plain and fruit scones with jam and clotted cream and a selection of cakes and tartlets with well made tea & coffee.. I think it's only fair to say I have had afternoon tea in a few very nice venues where they couldn't get it right or two people let alone the task we set the spa of 60+ we also had the bar open which was contained within the room and served by a very organised polite member of the staff ( well done Charlie ) events like this can often be quite rushed and disorganised, the spa got it spot on right we were given space and the right level of service to make it perfect.

I have stayed in the hotel on a few occasions as well and always found the rooms to be well appointed, clean and comfortable I really would recommend this hotel for events and the odd nights sleep when in Tunbridge Wells.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family