“Lovely family, ordinary food”

Il Vesuvio Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic, family-run Italian Restaurant, serving traditional Southern Italian recipes and welcome. Using the freshest ingredients to create many dishes to keep following the Mediterranean Diet.
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Have eaten here three times over the past year, and we always receive a very warm welcome and lovely service. However, the food is nothing special. Pretty standard Italian fare, with no style or distinction.

1  Thank Rennee M B

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A great little restaurant with an extensive menu, real Italian staff and a friendly attitude. We went on a Saturday lunchtime with my wife & 2 children (6 & 9) and we all had a great meal. Decent sized portions, proper thin based pizzas, tasty mussels and good wine. Overall a highly recommended experience.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We chose thsi restaurant whist in Tunbridge Wells because of the reviews on tripadvisor. We were a family party of four booked in on a very busy Friday night. The sign outside said that the restaurant was fully booked always a good sign.
Service was attentive and not overbearing.
Starters chosen were the bruschetta, whitebait plus grigliata vegetali (grilled vegetables). All were eaten up without complaint.. I would say though that the portions are large and if I had known that I might have then stuck to just a main course.
Main courses were Minced meat balls on a bed of spaghetti. This looked a bit strange as there were only two very large meat balls about the size of tennis balls.However, they were very tasty and nothing was left. My choice was the pan fried chicken breat with a creamy mushroom sauce. Unfortunately although the mushroom sauce was delicious the chicken was overcooked and tough. So not the best. We did think that the menu is far too lextensive. One of my pet hates is that these establishment then can't possibly get everything right. The atmosphere was great we enjoyed the buzz and people were definately enjoying themselves.
So on the whole we would recommend this restaurant but owners if you read this please reduce your menu. Too much choice is overwhelming.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very enjoyable lunch with a varied menu & excellent food. The menu has something for everyone from pizza to mussels, veal or fish. The desserts are delicious and the service friendly.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were welcomed like old friends as we walked through the door on my birthday night and this was our first visit.

we were taken to our table - which we thought was squashed - but hey when in Rome (or Naples) ........... Unf the couple to one side of us were very loud - but hey it all added in to the amusement of the night.

We were talked into trying a lush bottle of red wine that they had on offer - whilst that was breathing - we opted for an ice cold peroni.

My partner had whitebaite and i had the baked aubugine - both were lush.

then my partner had the chicken with parma ham and mozerlla with roast potatoes and i had Grandma's meatballs............. wow you get two of the most amazingly huge meat balls that were so tasty on a bed of al dente spaghette in a lovely tomato sauce. I managed about one and a half of the meatballs - Partner cleared his plate! i could have taken my leftovers home but as we were staying the night in a hotel i had to decline :(

We were debating over dessert and the chap on the next table to me had the most amazing plate of pofitteroles - but we declined and settled for expresso and ameretto - and when they came with our coffee i had a pofitterole and a candle for my birthday - mmmmmmm

Then before we left we were given a parting shot of melon vodka - wow it was lush.

Then on the way out we had a chat with the owner and her husband and they told us about their children's restaurant in Maidstone (slightly nearer for us to visit) so we will be trying that again.

We just wished we lived nearer Il Vesuvio!

Make sure you try this wonderful family restaurant.