“A little slice of home”
Review of Max's Genuine Italian Food - CLOSED

Max's Genuine Italian Food
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This restaurant is a real gem - as it's name suggests, genuine Italian food, really delicious and a nice atmosphere.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I am Italian myself and am astounded by the amount of restaurants in Tunbridge Wells that claim to serve 'genuine Italian food'. However Max and Molly's Genuine Italian Food delivers!! It was like entering into a lovely little deli back home. I was treated excellently and my every need was catered for. I sampled the antipasti and was amazed at the size of the dish. All the food placed on the dish are carefully thought out and the flavours complemented each other wonderfully. All this was washed down with La Cotta Italian Craft beers which Max went out of his way to recommend. There is nothing that both Max and Molly don't know about their produce. The events and trips that they also offer show how they work hard not only to cater, but to immerse themselves into the community of this town. I will be returning within the next couple of days to sample their home made breads and pizzas, until I have tried everything on their menus! I urge people to go!!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a find - we had one of our best meals in Tunbridge Wells last week at this unpretentious restaurant. The food was excellent, as was the service and the ambience. When my partner asked if he could have cheese instead of dessert, and that he particularly liked pecorino, he certainly didn’t expect four different varieties!

1  Thank Gilesy12
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Popped in here a little while ago with a couple of freinds from Italy. They were almost as embarrassed as I was with the all round experience. Lazy decor and really bad value for money. My bolognese was pretty bland and quite honestly I didn't expect it to be microwaved at these prices. Both my friends had the sausage soup, again microwaved. I have it on good authority that microwaves do not appear in Italian kitchens !!! Will not be going back as there are far better Italian restaurants in TW.

2  Thank Ian M
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We've been meaning to pop in for lunch for some time. Now we wish we had not bothered. Our starters were ok (antipasto and a sort of pesto soup). The main courses were pretty poor. I had chicken stuffed with cheese wrapped in ham - now that appealed as I wrongly assumed it would be the breast stuffed with cheese, wrapped in parma ham and baked in the oven. It was ham wrapped round cheese stuffed into the breast and bunged into the microwave. The cheese if there was any had turned to liquid and the whole thing was unappertising and not very nice. My wife had pasta with ragu. The ragu was watery and not very pleasant. The kitchen is open to the restaurant which is ok but the toilets are through the kitchen and it's not very pleasant watching those paying a visit going back and forth where your food is being prepared.

2  Thank FoodieChap
Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you only eat in one Italian restaurant in Tunbridge Wells, make it this one!

Husband and wife team Max and Molly, welcome you with open arms to their gorgeously bijoux Italian restaurant. Open throughout the day, and on a Thurs and Fri evening, this place is seriously good.

Molly bakes cakes and takes orders and chats warmly with each and every patron, Max cooks up a storm in the kitchen, delivers food to your table with gusto and genuinely wants to know your thoughts on his creations.

The style and decor of the restaurant is akin to Le Petit Canard in Paris, another of my all time favourite places, and is awash with amazing Italian wines and food adorning the walls.

Max and Molly's has in stock, some Italian Craft Beer, and I believe they are the only supplier of this in the UK. At £3.50 a glass or £9.95 for a Prosecco style bottle, it's one not to miss. We sacked the red wine that night and stuck to the beer. Beautiful. Cannot recommend enough!

I can't even remember the names of our dishes, suffice to say they were utterly divine: we both started with a hearty stew/soup containing spicy Italian sausage, lentils, slivers of bread, hunking chunks of garlic (nom!), chillis and onion. Satisfying and moreish was this!

We moved on to our mains, Mr Roo having a sort of duck and red wine tagliatelle, and myself a stuffed tortolini with truffles and massive slivers of pamesan. My dish was one of the best I have ever tasted - a little on the small side, so I was glad I had the large starter, but when you consider the ingredients, it was fantastic value for money.

We both had one of Molly's home made cakes for pudding - Mr Roo going for an orange and lemon sponge, and myself the 'new creation' that arrived fresh and hot from the oven - clotted cream, asperol, biscuit and strawberries. Nothing says love more than a cake just out the oven!

Just fantastic, a wonderful, wonderful dining experience that will be repeated the next time we're in TW!

Plus they do gift vouchers....and Christmas ain't too far away. Perfect!