“Traditional family Italian grub”
Review of Palio - CLOSED

Palio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: As one of the few independent Italian restaurants in Tunbridge Wells we aim to serve authentic Italian food, produced in house, using the freshest and best quality ingredients, locally sourced, when possible, in a clean and friendly environment, to make it a "bella" experience
Reviewed February 6, 2014

A warm friendly atmosphere greets you at this little Italian restaurant , all the charm you expect from those Italian bloke... Or same might say friendly attentive service.
The food is excellent value and they also run certain 2 for 1 days!! I was impressed by how authentic the food tasted....closing your eyes you could very well find yourself in southern Italy.
We have visited serval times and the highlights are: there pizzas, carbonara, lemon Veal ( a must try) and there traditional fish soup.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Palio is one of my favourite restaurants in Tunbridge Wells and has been since it opened, I have been dining here since the start and have been more times than I can possibly remember. I have taken a lot of people here and recommended to many people. Until now, I had an experience that has put me off returning. It was an evening during the week and the restaurant was fairly quiet probably 12 people at the most. So no excuses for good service from the 3 members of staff working front of house, oh how wrong I was. They were far more interested in chatting to each other. They offered us a choice of 2 tables despite the majority of the tables being free, both tables weren't even laid up. Drinks first, the lady didn't give me a chance to order my drink as she walked off after I ordered my partners. Strange. She did return when she realised. Next up we ordered food we chose one of the starter platters to share. It was fairly small compared to the normal portions but I accepted it however the sauce on the mussels was extremely tasteless and showed no sign of any seasoning. I would of told the staff however couldn't for the life of me get their attention. Next up I ordered my favourite starter of mixed seafood as a main. Well when it came it seemed very small, in fact smaller than it normal is as a starter and with less variety. Again I accepted it assuming they'd reduced their portion sizes in general and they'd ordered me a starter size. No one came to ask if everything was okay so we finished up. It took at least 10 minutes to get a member of staffs attention, When they eventually came to clear the lady proceeded to awkwardly demand to know why my partner hadn't finished her food, she was full up and surely saying this once was enough but apparently not. We decided against desserts and asked for the bill, wow this was clearly a hard request! She walked off so we assumed she went to get it. She wandered around the restaurant a bit. I say a bit, another 10 minutes past, I asked again...still nothing for another 5 minutes, so we went to the bar and asked, it was sitting on the bar. Turns out my starter as a main was actually main sized and main priced, so I went to the bar and asked the waiter, he rang the kitchen, apparently it was. I explained it was smaller than it normal is as a starter, he proceeded to argue with me and shrug his shoulders saying he didn't see it, so therefore nothing can be done. I was shocked at his rudeness and had no choice but to pay full price.
It's such a shame that a great restaurant has gone down so much. I probably won't return and certainly won't recommend.

3  Thank ALHP
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have loved going to Palio over the years, it's good basic cooking and you can't go wrong with it, the offers in the window are good value. I have only been at lunchtimes never in the evening and I can imagine it is quite busy with lots of houses and streets in the locality. Wine is a bit pricey though. It's quite cramped in the restaurant so not that romantic in my view. But good all the same for good food.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

From time to time I eat here at lunch time. They will vary things and make a dinner vegan which particularly suits me. Not cheap or overly expensive but don't be mislead by the offers on the board outside they don't seem to exist.

Mum liked in because the menu is very good plain things, as I do. Particularly nice traditional English dishes with nice vegetables pizza and pasta.

Everyone you speak to says the place is very good whereas anywhere else whether you think is the best will have an alternative story. This is just not so with Palio it really is good.

I have not marked it highly for children though they cater but I hardly ever see any children.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked a table for 11 at 5.30 on a Saturday, hoping to find a quite location for a family celebration. Unfortunately, we had not been informed that our booking clashed with a large kids birthday party and consequently we received disappointing service with long waits until the other party had finished. The food when it arrived was however very good and reasonably priced.