“Check what you are ordering: poor quality/cooked South Indian food and cooking”
Review of Cochin Marine - CLOSED

Cochin Marine
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This buisness is closed now
Reviewed January 30, 2014

South Indian food is comparatively different to Indian food - all of which, as those who have traveled across India, bears no relation to the real Indian food anyway.

I have a favorite South Indian restaurant in Fitrovia, London W1 so am able to judge the quality, consistency and the abilities of the chef here.

The take-away we ordered for two was comprised of very poor South Indian cooking and food quality.

Firstly, check what you are ordering. The Dosa's arrive with a sides so we over ordered with no help / advice from the staff about what two people would normally consume over dinner.

For instance, the Onion Bhaji's are included only to satisfy the tastes of customers regardless of these being not a South Indian specialty. The 'Chilly Idly' was grim.

Overall not a good eating experience, expensive for the quality and - whilst is stays 'Please call again' on the receipt, we won't. Ever.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I'm baffled as to why this place has garnered good reviews to the extent it has. We had a very unremarkable meal here. My biriani was dry and pretty tasteless and my husband's fish curry just didn't taste very good. The best thing about it was, it was cheap! The atmosphere, well, forget it and the decor...oh dear.
I don't know if we just got a bad meal that night but if the food had been good we would probably have overlooked the place's other shortcomings. It accepts the Tastecard so maybe we'll give it another go...maybe.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

a little gem in Tunbridge Wells , a great place to go for those with an inquiring mind towards Indian food. Its menu is mainly South Indian fare , with several dishes claiming Toddy shop roots and the abundance of fish dishes shows its Kerala connections. If you want chicken tikka massalla this isn't the place for you , however if you want gorgeous whole baked fish beautifully spiced or byriani that looks much more like what you see in india than the vegetable curry drenched curry house equivalent then come on by. a Masala poppadum followed by Crab Cakes and Seafood Biryani saw me a very happy diner , even the array of breads is excellent and really tasty. Very much recommended.

1  Thank Ian P
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The best Indian food I had in Royal Tunbridge wellsl I tried other Indian food joints but it was very
disappointing cause i didn't find any Indian taste . Fish curry & beef Chilly you should try

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The food offered at the Cochin Marine is simply fantastic. My wife and I have now eaten here 4 or 5 times over the last few years and it seems to have gone from strength to strength. It is lovely to see an Indian restaurant that doesn't dull down their food to suit the English palate; it stays true to what it is and delivers on flavour and spice in a way that not many others do. The chefs should absolutely be commended for this.

Alongside this the restaurant itself is charming in an unpretentious way, and we have always been made to feel very comfortable.

Add to this the fact that the bill comes to half of what it should and in my eyes you have a close to perfect experience.

Keep up the good work!