“no seasoning and no flavour”

ASK Italian - Tunbridge Wells
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With a great location for dining in the very centre of Tunbridge Wells, the superb ASK Italian restaurant offers Italian cuisine in stylish surroundings. This ASK Italian restaurant has recently gone through an extensive refurbishment. We've created a restaurant with a distinctive new look inspired by modern Italian design. And with the help of our expert friends, including awarding-winning chef Theo Randall, we've created a menu that features a range of simple, classic Italian food and an all Italian wine list.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“no seasoning and no flavour”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and i visited last night at 8pm. Restaurant was only half full on a Saturday night! My husband ordered calamari which was all batter and I ordered garlic mushrooms on garlic bread. I got six mushrooms which hardly tasted of garlic and 3 one inch squares of garlic bread. I complained and they took them off the bill. My husband ordered the slowroast pork with potatoes and broccoli in a red wine sauce. The meat was ok but no seasoning on the potatoes and the sauce contained mostly fat. I ordered the sea bass with potatoes mushrooms tomatoes and spinach. I had about 5 strands of spinach across the overcooked fish, again no seasoning on the vegetables and had to ask for salt as there was none on the table. I then ordered the profiteroles which I shared with my husband. This was the only highlight of the meal.
We now know why we go to Strada and will never visit ask again

Hastings, United Kingdom
“look up vouchers always deals”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were 3 for lunch, mid week. All having pizza and very nice they were. We did book a table as the schools were off, just as well very busy. The service was excellent. Have been many times before with no complaints. It has a large seating area and yes it can be a bit on the cold side out of peak times.

Fairlight, United Kingdom
“Full marks”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Even though it was a very busy shopping day we had a very good lunch here. The service quick and friendly, the place was clean light and airy and with large windows you see the world go by. The food arrived in an acceptable time piping hot and all meals together. We chose pizzas which were filled generously and delicious. The wine was most acceptable and at a reasonable price. On a busy day especially during school holidays we always book our table in advance stating a time. There is outdoor seating but as there was an April snow storm we opted for the inside! We have eaten here many times and have never disapointed.

“Go anywhere but here”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I recently came to ASK for a friend's birthday, the food was appalling and overall experience very disappointing. Not one of our seven meals was served warmer than luke warm, mine was stone cold as was my friend's who had prawns. Needless to say we sent them back. Our olives had been covered in dry oregano which wasn't good. The waitress was great and very apologetic and took 25% off our food-bill but our bill still came to £25 a head - for a meal I could have made a million times better at home for a fraction of the price it was pretty galling. The place was in pretty shabby state, brightly lit and no atmosphere, and we could hear the kitchen staff having a whale of a time - shame they weren't more focussed on serving hot food. I would never recommend this place and will probably never visit an ASK again.

1 Thank Lara H
Barcelona, Spain
“The only thing you should ASK for is directions to another restaurant”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We came here for a midweek lunch and the service was very unwelcoming. They were short-staffed and after we had seated ourselves down, having been ignored when we walked in, the first thing the waiter said when he came over was that the service would take a long time. He was doing everything to make us go elsewhere, but we were cold and hungry (and not in a rush) so decided to stay. We called him over to take our order and he made a point of saying everybody would take their turn and he'd come back when he was ready.

Anyway, the food, as it turned out, did not take an unacceptable amount of time and in fact was perfectly reasonable when it did come... we ordered vegetable risotto and a vegetable pasta, and both were fine. Not huge portions, but nice enough. The atmosphere was quite pleasant and there were a lot of people inside: ranging from ladies with children, ladies that lunch, and friends out for a bite. Having said the food was ok, it was not at all special and in retrospect I wish we had gone somewhere else. And the way they treat their customers, I would certainly never return!

• Visited February 2013