“Best Authentic Indian food around... and amazing value!”
Review of Flavours By Kumar

Flavours By Kumar
Ranked #5 of 201 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An authentic Indian Restaurant opened by a renowned Indian chef Anil Kumar. Food for me has always been an adventure. My aim is to convey my passion for Indian cuisine in a way which gives you a taste of perfect Indian dishes. I hope you enjoy the taste of our Indian cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. We are open daily between 12pm-2.30Pm and 5.30Pm-10.00Pm
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The lunch menu gives a great opportunity to savour the amazing flavours on offer by Kumar at a staggering price of 7.95 for two courses or 9.95 for three. The two course is accompanied by a welcome drink, pre appetiser and a small palette cleansing soup and delicate onion bhaji.
Rarely have I enjoyed Indians yet felt like it hadn't contained much grease/oil. The evening menu is very well priced too, with sit in service at takeaway prices.
Try it, you won't be disappointed, in fact I think I may have a slight addiction, 5 visits in 4 weeks at little more cost than a fast food outlet!

There are newer reviews for Flavours By Kumar

Reviewed May 10, 2014

There have been few occasions when I have been really exhilarated by the food in a restaurant in Ramsgate - but this was one of them. We ate on a Friday evening, and the restaurant was busy enough. I hadn't visited it since its former incarnation as Patogh. The decor is red and yellow with low lighting and nice tables and chairs.

The chef was formerly at the Ambrette in Margate, and had brought some of the features of that restaurant: a potato puff as a sort of sub-continental "amuse-geule" before the starters, and then a mini onion bhaji and a cup of lentil soup before the main course.

Although the menu was short there was lots of choice - traditionalist would be more than happy with the very good rogan jhosh, which is spiced in a more distinctive way than in most of the Bengali-run Indian restaurants. The menu leans towards more S. Indian dishes than normal, with dhosas and so on. I ate the two specials, the starter Chicken 65 was a delicious dish of chopped fried chicken covered with a delicious glaze - which I was too drunk (oh dear!) to identify - the plate was decorated a streak of tamarindy glaze. My main course was a seafood curry of fish, prawn and squid - it was excellent, with quite a strong cinnamon element in the spicing. The curries all have rice with them, we also had a very good peshwari nan, and a revelatory dish of deep fried bhindi/okra. This is one of my favourite veg, and this treatment which left the veg rather dry, instead of its usual slightly slimey texture, was a revelation. We didn't have the time for pudding - but we were sorely tempted, and we shall definitely return for a lunch some time.

The staff were all lovely - the service excellent - the food was wonderful. I hope FbK will flourish!

1  Thank pauvregourmand
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Visited this Indian restaurant for lunch yesterday with my wife and returned today with my wife and daughter to sample their great value lunch menu. It was a shame that there were so few people dining as it was a bit too quiet. The food experience, however, was very favourable with well-flavoured dishes brought quickly to table by knowledgeable and friendly staff, with the added bonus of a complimentary juice and two mise en bouche. Food was delicate and cleverly spiced and fantastic value for money at just £9.95 for three courses. I do hope locals and visitors will come to this restaurant as tucked round the corner from the main road, it can be easily overlooked. It deserves to do well.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

There are two Indian dishes that, for me, epitomise the flavours of India. Any traveller to the subcontinent will have likely experienced them: the Thali and the Dosa. Interestingly they are usually conspicuous by their absence on the menus of most Anglo Indian restaurants - not so with Flavours by Kumar. This fact alone had me excited at the possibility of (finally) having something a little more authentically Indian on my doorstep. I'm really happy to be able to say that I have not been disappointed! Anybody who has been to India (as I have on a few occasions) will be able to identify the difference between the heavy handed approach of the average Bangladeshi curry house and the subtle and nuanced spicing of Indian food (as eaten by Indians in India). Flavours by Kumar is an authentic experience of the latter.

I naturally opted for the Dosa to start and the Thali to follow as these are my benchmarks. The Dosa was delicious with the fantastic addition of a coconut and cumin paste adding a Keralan dimension to the flavour. Similarly, the Thali transported me back to India (albeit with a China plate replacing the actual metal 'thali' from which the meal takes its name) . Adding to the authenticity the Thali was served sans cutlery and as I dug in with my fingers I vowed to return very soon. Sometimes you can get the measure of a place by how well they do the simplest of things (the batter at a fish and chip takeaway for example) in this case it was the naan bread that came with the Thali - it was crispy, fluffy, and pleasingly charred and, in a word, 'perfect'.

Although full, I couldn't resist a dessert. Indian cuisine in the UK is not known for its desserts (even though there is a rich tradition of sweets and sweet meats in India) and beyond the ubiquitous Kulfi and rice pudding many would be hard pressed to identify Indian desserts (Barfi, Kela Mithai, Tiltandula anyone?) anyway, Kumar has provided an inventive and delicious sounding array. I opted for the Chocolate Samosa. Oh my God - even Ganesha's sweet tooth would have been fully satiated, he would have been hooting his trunk with delight had he tasted the Chocolate Samosa. What I found SO delicious was the addition of a sweet rose jam and a cardamom creme which, when eaten with the rich Samosa, was sensational.

If the reputation of Flavours by Kumar rested on the food alone then already it would be high indeed (in my estimation) BUT one also has to consider the staff and the service as well. We were eating on a relatively quiet post Easter Bank holiday Tuesday. We were likely fortunate but the service was truly exceptional. The Goan waiter, Anslim was warm, charming, attentive, full of good humour, and absolutely delightful. Equally charming (and full of really interesting food based information) was Kumar himself. Now, I love it when the chef engages with the diners and Kumar really took the time to do so in a friendly and authentic way. He projects, like Anslim the waiter, a warm and gentle energy that is really quite beautiful and makes you feel fantastic.

I loved this place and If myself, the other positive reviewers, and even Ganesha have anything to do with it then Flavours by Kumar will become the success it deserves to be.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We do not do lunch out, but have been converted! The food here is superb and such good value. We have been twice now and have tried four starters, five main courses and three desserts .... I couldn't choose my favourite dish if offered money! The food was all tasty, beautifully presented and each course was separated by a tasty "amouse-bouche". We will be back to treat more of the family very soon. We shall also try the take away service. Please support this restaurant. You will not be disappointed.