“A great addition to Ramsgate's portfolio of decent restaurants.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flavours By Kumar

Flavours By Kumar
Ranked #5 of 194 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An authentic Indian Restaurant opened by a renowned Indian chef Anil Kumar. Food for me has always been an adventure. My aim is to convey my passion for Indian cuisine in a way which gives you a taste of perfect Indian dishes. I hope you enjoy the taste of our Indian cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. We are open daily between 12pm-2.30Pm and 5.30Pm-10.00Pm
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“A great addition to Ramsgate's portfolio of decent restaurants.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Visited this Indian restaurant for lunch yesterday with my wife and returned today with my wife and daughter to sample their great value lunch menu. It was a shame that there were so few people dining as it was a bit too quiet. The food experience, however, was very favourable with well-flavoured dishes brought quickly to table by knowledgeable and friendly staff, with the added bonus of a complimentary juice and two mise en bouche. Food was delicate and cleverly spiced and fantastic value for money at just £9.95 for three courses. I do hope locals and visitors will come to this restaurant as tucked round the corner from the main road, it can be easily overlooked. It deserves to do well.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Authentic Indian flavours in Ramsgate.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

There are two Indian dishes that, for me, epitomise the flavours of India. Any traveller to the subcontinent will have likely experienced them: the Thali and the Dosa. Interestingly they are usually conspicuous by their absence on the menus of most Anglo Indian restaurants - not so with Flavours by Kumar. This fact alone had me excited at the possibility of (finally) having something a little more authentically Indian on my doorstep. I'm really happy to be able to say that I have not been disappointed! Anybody who has been to India (as I have on a few occasions) will be able to identify the difference between the heavy handed approach of the average Bangladeshi curry house and the subtle and nuanced spicing of Indian food (as eaten by Indians in India). Flavours by Kumar is an authentic experience of the latter.

I naturally opted for the Dosa to start and the Thali to follow as these are my benchmarks. The Dosa was delicious with the fantastic addition of a coconut and cumin paste adding a Keralan dimension to the flavour. Similarly, the Thali transported me back to India (albeit with a China plate replacing the actual metal 'thali' from which the meal takes its name) . Adding to the authenticity the Thali was served sans cutlery and as I dug in with my fingers I vowed to return very soon. Sometimes you can get the measure of a place by how well they do the simplest of things (the batter at a fish and chip takeaway for example) in this case it was the naan bread that came with the Thali - it was crispy, fluffy, and pleasingly charred and, in a word, 'perfect'.

Although full, I couldn't resist a dessert. Indian cuisine in the UK is not known for its desserts (even though there is a rich tradition of sweets and sweet meats in India) and beyond the ubiquitous Kulfi and rice pudding many would be hard pressed to identify Indian desserts (Barfi, Kela Mithai, Tiltandula anyone?) anyway, Kumar has provided an inventive and delicious sounding array. I opted for the Chocolate Samosa. Oh my God - even Ganesha's sweet tooth would have been fully satiated, he would have been hooting his trunk with delight had he tasted the Chocolate Samosa. What I found SO delicious was the addition of a sweet rose jam and a cardamom creme which, when eaten with the rich Samosa, was sensational.

If the reputation of Flavours by Kumar rested on the food alone then already it would be high indeed (in my estimation) BUT one also has to consider the staff and the service as well. We were eating on a relatively quiet post Easter Bank holiday Tuesday. We were likely fortunate but the service was truly exceptional. The Goan waiter, Anslim was warm, charming, attentive, full of good humour, and absolutely delightful. Equally charming (and full of really interesting food based information) was Kumar himself. Now, I love it when the chef engages with the diners and Kumar really took the time to do so in a friendly and authentic way. He projects, like Anslim the waiter, a warm and gentle energy that is really quite beautiful and makes you feel fantastic.

I loved this place and If myself, the other positive reviewers, and even Ganesha have anything to do with it then Flavours by Kumar will become the success it deserves to be.

Visited April 2014
Kent, UK
“Recommended to everyone for any occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We do not do lunch out, but have been converted! The food here is superb and such good value. We have been twice now and have tried four starters, five main courses and three desserts .... I couldn't choose my favourite dish if offered money! The food was all tasty, beautifully presented and each course was separated by a tasty "amouse-bouche". We will be back to treat more of the family very soon. We shall also try the take away service. Please support this restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

Visited April 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The best Indian meal I have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Wow! This is just an amazing restaurant. If you're after flocked wallpaper and Indian music, forget it. This is a quirky little place with wooden floors and trendy wooden tables. The ambiance is terrific with some nice, modern ambient background music played quietly. It really rounded off the experience. The menu is short, but not at all standard and look out for the specials too. On our visit they had pheasant and venison. The pheasant was exquisite. Would have tried the venison too but they had sold out! The food is absolutely stunning. Perfectly blended spices, superb sauces and tender, delicate meat and fish all combined to make this the best Indian meal I have ever had. Quantities are perfect - not too large, but not small either. Loved the complimentary hors oeuvres and soup. Absolutely recommend this to anyone who is serious about Indian food. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Julia E
UK
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

We went for the second time. This time we introduced the restaurant to friends. We were again very pleased with the whole experience. We had one child with us whom was cared for to a very high standard. The menu is good and vegetarians are well catered for. The staff were very helpful and the chef came to the table and explained the dishes. You must try it!

• Visited April 2014