“A Taste of Japan in Thanet”
Review of Ogata Yosa - CLOSED

Ogata Yosa
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Apprently this restaurant has only been open a month and we only found it by chance via '
JustEat' takeaway service, it has no Web sites of its own. Situated half way up Ramsgate high street you could easily miss it. We booked a Thursday evening table for two from the number we found on trip advisor. When we arrived the restaurant was nearly empty. We're welcomed to a table, drinks order taken and set about hunting through an interesting menu. The Sushi dishes are all there, but I opted for a deep fried pork cutlets and salad starter followed by fried eel rice and a portion of big rice roll. My partner had a Deepfried said starter followed by a full 'Bento Box'' consisting of all types of rice, fish, dumplings, salad etc etc. The flavours were really really good and I must say we ended up tasting a bit of everything that came in front of us. Finished up with a Japanese cheesecake and jasmine tea. To be honest I have never really rated Japanese food before, as I find sushi or certainly the westernised version a bit pretentious, but I really enjoyed this restaurant and would gladly go again. Decor is authentic and the staff really friendly andonly toilet eager to engage answer questions etc. One cautions that,the the don't have a card machine yet (luckily there's a cashpoint next door). The also do a takeaway service.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Visited the Ogata Yosa for the first time today and I have to say the food, staff & service was a real breath of fresh air for Ramsgate!! Very happy to discover a Japanese restaurant in town as nothing else like this down here. The food was excellent in vale & in taste, the sushi was particularly good (the freshest fish) along with the Katsu curry which beat the hell out of Wagamama's!! The staff were absolutely lovely & made us feel so welcome - we wish them all the best with & urge people to go & try this fabulous new restaurant!!

1  Thank Augustine18
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Isle of Thanet has much mediocre Asian food - but this newly opened place easily beats the local competition.
Cracking bento boxes (salmon, and chicken katsu), great miso soup, and lovely seafood udon. It's the real deal, and fair play to them opening in Ramsgate. Definitely a more adventurous menu than anywhere nearby - so really hoping it works out for them. Will be back soon for more.

1  Thank wont-eat-no-foriegn
Reviewed June 13, 2013

While not the best Japanese place I have been to that goes to a little place in Cologne I once went to that I can never remember the name. This is good for a nice change of the usual fair that you can eat in Ramsgate. Well priced and enough in the Bento box to be satisfied, the Salmon was great and I even liked the Miso which is not usual for me.....The service was very good and I will definately be there again

1  Thank Bellum S
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Given the choice I would always pick Japanese food over any other. This newly opened restaurant did not disappoint. The sashimi was lovely & fresh as were all the other dishes we had. Staff are friendly & helpful. Prices very reasonable for Japanese. Hope they are successful , they deserve to be.

1  Thank Fl0g0_9